Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throwback Thursday: The house you grew up in #TBT

It's Thursday!
giphy
Reason for the topic of this #TBT is that last week the wife and I moved into our new house. Some of our experiences were similar to this one...
giphy
The house I grew up in had been owned by my parents for 20 or so years when we moved. I was 11 when we moved. My grandparents had owned the house earlier and my grandfather passed away, at age 46, in that house. One of my brothers bought this house from my parents so it has been in our family for quite a long time. Not anymore though. Lots of fun memories for me (my dad was 10 when his father passed away).
S23.jpg
Soooo, tell us about the house your grew up in. Pictures would be fun :)
Let’s make it a great Thursday!
KGM

14 comments

Comment

Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2022

Ahhh, I still have memories of growing up in a orange brick, ranch-style house in Parma, Ohio.  We lived there until we moved to a bigger house when I was a junior in high school.

Like # people like this
Steven Mustari
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2022

I grew up in way too many houses to count, I'd need to write an entire article to cover them all.

I'm quite happy now though my wife and I are now settled down, the kids have moved out (but still local) and we now are in our forever home... unless of course we decide to take things off-grid...

Like # people like this
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2022

My story is a bit boring, concerning the house of course. I lived all my life (that's till 18 where I left for University) in an apartment on the 3rd floor of a building in a city in Central Greece. Wonderful memories with the sibling, parents and friends from my hometown. Everytime I  visit it an abundance of memories come to life!

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 13, 2022

I have really fond memories of the house I grew up in. All of my years until I left home at 18 were spent in our split-level ranch in Bay Shore, NY.

It was the model of suburbia.

We had 1/2 acre of land, a large front yard (current Google Street photos show a large tree that was just a sapling when I was growing up) and a back yard that was split between grass and a forest (middle house in the aerial view - I needed to leave in the neighboring houses to give readers a clue about the depth of the backyard. The street in front was quiet and really wide. Our roller-hockey games were epic. The backyard had a pool until Hurricane Gloria destroyed it in 1986, but thereafter was the scene of many wiffleball and volleyball games that would take up entire summer afternoons. And in our younger years we used to build forts, play hide-and-go-seek and set off leaf fires in the forest. I still can't believe my parents put up with that. 

I consider myself lucky to never have moved, and my parents still live in that house, 45 years after the bought it. Whenever we visit I always check my old hiding places just in case there is anything there and I walk around the yard nostalgically telling my kids about the amazing times my brothers and I had there growing up.

house1.JPGhouse2.JPG

Like # people like this
Jess Sherman October 13, 2022

No pictures, but I grew up at the foot of a mountain in the desert. The sunrises and sunsets were GORGEOUS. The downside to being so close to the mountain was when it was monsoon season, we'd get mud slides. No fun!

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 13, 2022

My wrinklies moved around a bit before settling down to bring a bit of stability in the kid's schooling (I think it's that because Dad started talking about moving on a couple of days after I committed to moving out of the family home to go to university)

I am told that I was born and brought home to a house in either Heaton Mersey or Heaton Moor in Stockport (a satellite city of Manchester), then moved to another house in the other one. 

We then moved to the first house I can remember:

Selection_011.png

The front wall, burglar alarm and door and gate are new, but the rest is what it was 45 years ago.

We moved to another town next, spent a few months in rented places I have no memory of, and landed in a place where we could see and hear the Reading Festival from.

That's the place I think of as "where I grew up" - moved there when I was 5, I partially moved out when I went to university at 18, and they moved out when I was 21.  (It's a bit more complex than this, but my mum "forgot" to tell my sister we'd moved, so that she walked into a complete stranger's house assuming mum was there.  I'm not going to pretend that mum asked me to tell my sister, and I "forgot".  Hehehehehe)

The last place I think of as "where I grew up" is a few minutes walk away.  My parent's last house here in my town.  Loved it, it's almost as good as the one I'm in now.

Like # people like this
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 14, 2022

I'm lucky...I still live in the house where I grew up :)

Like # people like this
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 14, 2022

I grew up in 2 different houses in the same city here in Belgium.
Both had a garden for myself and my brother to play/do mischief in. 

In the first one I shared a room with my brother, in the second one I got my own room which was awesome :) 

My parents still live in this house and my room is now a hobby room for my mom.

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 18, 2022

A number of years ago we were in Nevada and went to see the house I grew up in.  It turns out it is in a very rough neighborhood.  I mentioned this to my parents and they confirmed that when I was growing up it was pretty bad.  I guess when you are young you do not realize how rough the neighborhood is when you had good friends and a loving family.  It does it explain why we never had a radio in the car.  I think my dad gave up after it was stole for a third time.  I thought it was normal.   

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 24, 2022

Great topic @Kristján Geir Mathiesen 
This is a difficult question for me to answer because I was a military brat! I grew up in so many houses I lost track of them all. When my father joined the Air Force I was just 3 years old and he was first stationed at Luke AFB where we lived at the time in Phoenix in a house that my parents had bought. That was short lived. Over the years we lived in base housing at Air Force Bases such as Andrews AFB, Holloman AFB, Nellis AFB, Mountain Home AFB, Kadena AB and many more. I grew up in houses like this! 

base housing2.jfifbase housing.jpg 

Like # people like this
Karim ABO HASHISH
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 26, 2022

A lot of memories i still live through in the house where i grew up. Never gets old

Like # people like this
vikram
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2022

good Idea, 

I remember lot of memories when i left to city from my village. 

sarah.conway
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 31, 2022

Grew up in this house and very thankful that my 82 year old mother still lives here and is healthy. I now get to share it with my three boys and husband when we visit. Chicago suburbs are a lot different from small coastal towns just north of Boston to say the least. 

Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 8.44.38 AM.png

Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 2, 2022

Shantipura.jpg

This is the house where I grew up. surrounded by coffee plantations 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events