Throwback Thursday: Happy St. Patrick’s day! #TBT

It's Thursday!

giphy

Happy St. Patrick's day everyone! For those interested in the history of this day, can click here.

I grew up in Iceland so no St. Patrick's day there. Therefore I don't have any memories neither have I really participated in the celebrations.

giphy

But this post is not about me :) What do you do to celebrate the green day?

What is some of your memories of this day?

giphy

Let’s make it a great Thursday!
KGM

10 comments

Comment

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2022

Hey @Kristján Geir Mathiesen,

I have never really celebrated St. Patrick's Day.  I will wear green but that is more because I like the colour and I'd wear it on other days as well.

My sister was a bartender for many years and she has nothing good to say about St. Patrick's Day.  Green beer is not something you want to have to clean up after.

Lastly, it was on this day in 2020, that my wife and I got a call from our Daycare provider that at 10am that we needed to come pick up our son as they were in the process of closing things down in preparation for a two week lock down.

Have a great day!

Like # people like this
Arjun March 17, 2022

It also happens to be Holi - the festival of colours - today in India. Very colourful day indeed.

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2022

@Jimmy Seddon  oh no - so no good memories :/ Úps. Well, I hope today will be beautiful for you!

giphy

Like # people like this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 17, 2022

Thanks for this amazing festival-themed post, @Kristján Geir Mathiesen !

I had no idea what is "St. Patrick's Day" and why it is celebrated before you share the relevant link in this post.

Just like you, I have never celebrated and participated in this holiday as it was never celebrated in my home country, India. I only come to know that it is coming when I see the retail stores filled with green-colored items & accessories in a separate section.

So, I have no memories of this holiday, but I do like the green color a lot.

To those who celebrate and relate to it, I wish you a happy St. Patrick's Day!

Like # people like this
Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2022

I also never really celebrated, other than occasionally wearing green :) This year I'm attending a Celtic show with my family which is a new experience for all of us!

Like # people like this
Lars Maehlmann
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 17, 2022

Just have some fuzzy memories when I celebrated St Paricks day in New York with some Irish folks. I still remember I had a good time but this is so far all I say in public ☺️.  Happy St Patricks day.

Like # people like this
Huwen Arnone
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
March 18, 2022

I am arriving late to this thread because European schedule!

I've never have celebrated St. Patrick before in my life. I'm Venezuelan, although I've Irish ascendance. All of that changed until I moved to Dublin for a couple of years. Since then, St. Patrick's Day has become a very dear memory, as well as the whole country: its people, its beautiful landscapes, delicious beer, even the food (believe it or not! -the Guinness stew 🤗) and I could go on. 

Besides that, I celebrated one Paddy's parade and its after-party (something called covid ruined other year's parades). But that day was beautiful sunny; you get to hang with almost anyone in the city, hug them, fight them, dance with them, party, and have casual talks with almost anyone wearing green in the streets, sharing that same festive mood (somehow it's something similar to a Teams -cc Summit- party)

I'm in love with Ireland, that's just it, and this celebration is very dear to me. 

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2022

Thank you all for your comments - for sharing your memories. I hope you have a fantastic weekend and lets pray for peace :flag-ua:

Like Huwen Arnone likes this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2022

This is not a St. Patrick's Day memory per se, but is tangentially related to the day. I remember that seeing the movie The Fugitive in 1993 was the first time I became aware that the Chicago River is dyed green for the celebration each year. Pre-internet, that was the way we learned things about the world - watched them in movies!

Like # people like this
Huwen Arnone
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
March 21, 2022

Lol, that's a fantastic memory, @Andy Gladstone, and I totally agree with you about learning stuff without the Internet. Those were gold days!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events