Throwback Thursday: Happy 2023! What did you do for new year's eve? #TBT

It's Thursday!
giphy
Happy 2023 and thanks for all the comments and likes during 2022. I can't believe a new year is already upon us.
giphy
Traditionally in Iceland, we'd dress up for a formal meal on new year's eve. Have the meal. Then play games or visit with whomever we had invited over. Watch the "year in review" on the national TV station. Then around 11:15 or so, go outside and light up fireworks. The fireworks get louder and louder; more and more until it climaxes at midnight to say goodbye to the old year and welcome the new year. And of course, eat cookies, candy, and junk all night :) Our kids would get to stay up super late.
giphy
So, what did you do for new year's eve? Or do you have any stories from new year's eve from the past.
Let’s make it a great Thursday!
KGM

33 comments

Comment

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2023

Hi @Kristján Geir Mathiesen best wishes for 2023!

I was together with my partner, we enjoyed a quiet evening of party snacks and binge watching until midnight when we watched the fireworks (from a safe distance).

Like # people like this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2023

I actually seen the New Year this year.
We ate too much food and have been binge watching American Horror Story (Disney+) all 11 seasons over the holidays.  We made it to season 8.
Took a couple of drunken phone calls from family and friends.
Quiet rules around our place on New Years eve.

Like # people like this
tsmith January 5, 2023

It's a tradition in the southern US to eat black eyed peas for good luck in the new year. So back on New Year's Eve 2019, I made some for my friends. We combined that tradition with the tradition of having drinks to ring in the new year. Instead of alcohol, we filled shot glasses with the beans. It was a very silly and tasty way to ring in the new year!

Then 2020 happened. That year didn't go as expected for any of us, I'm sure. So now we have a running joke that my beans were cursed. We still host a New Year party, but I haven't offered lucky black eyed peas again. Maybe some day.

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2023

That sounds like such a wonderful way to ring in the new year, @Kristján Geir Mathiesen

We celebrated with another family who has kids the same ages as our kiddos. It makes for such a pleasant evening - kids each go play with their friends and we get to have adult time. We had a great meal, tasty dessert and a toast to the new year an hour early with the kiddos with sparkling grape juice. 🥂 It works out well that I'm in central time and the TV stations tend to show the east coast celebrations (like New York City), so we usually ring in the new year early with the ball drop. This year, we actually stayed out until midnight in our time though, too. All in all, a great evening!

Like # people like this
Aida Johnson January 5, 2023

Spent time with family and drank coquito. :)

Like # people like this
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2023

Not a crazy New Years.  I had to teach over the weekend, so I didn't go crazy.

But I did eat dumplings (a Chinese tradition) on New Years Day.

Like # people like this
Luis Machado
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2023

I spent new years in a cabin in the Mountains of Ruidoso NM, playing board games and drinking wine with friends, it was great.

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2023

We were in bed well before midnight. I stayed up and read until I heard the fireworks and cheering from some neighbors, turned out the light, and went to sleep. Not very exciting, but January 1 is just another day on the calendar.

Like # people like this
tsmith January 5, 2023

@Andy Gladstone taking it easy can also be a special and fulfilling way to spend one's time. :)

Hope you started the new year feeling peaceful and restored.

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2023

It takes all kinds, doesn't it?! It doesn't all have to be glamours or party hard.

Thanks all for sharing! I enjoy reading your comments and traditions. Plus, now we know whom to blame for the 2020 and 2021 dumpster fire, don't we @tsmith :)

giphy

Like # people like this
tsmith January 5, 2023

Lmaooo my bad, everyone! #cursedbeans

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2023

I shared a story in the post previous to this one about the fireworks. On the bright side, I did eat a delicious steak and potatoes dinner and drank some good wine! Happy New Year everyone! 

Like # people like this
Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2023

Spent a quiet time with family having dinner. Was planning to see the fireworks but was raining heavily.

Like # people like this
vikram
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2023

I had given party for my cousins on that evening and we spent all together that night, we wanted to cut the cake but could not, as all the cakes are sold out at 1 am. 

vikram P 

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2023

My kids always have hockey tournaments this weekend so we go to bed early and watch them play hockey.  It is actually really nice to have the family together and have to go to bed at a normal time so they are well-rested for their games.  

Like # people like this
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2023

Go shopping with my lover and eat a lot of desserts!

微信图片_20230106111507.jpg

Like # people like this
Kishan Sharma
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2023

Happy New Year! This year it was quite simple celebration for me - a family gathering and dinner together, listening to funny stories and experiences of everyone! 

Like # people like this
Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 6, 2023

Happy new year everyone! ✨

We played board games with friends and played with dogs :)) Jack Russell terrier + Shiba inu = cuteness overload

Like # people like this
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 6, 2023

Happy new year to all of you! 

I hope this year will be a peaceful year for the world and an happy year for us!

Like # people like this
Ashley Hudson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2023

Happy new year all!

We celebrated the new years with friends and loved ones! I hope everyone had a great time! :)

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 6, 2023

HNY everyone!

I certainly did not make it to midnight this year. We were at the beach cottage and after a nice meal we binged on "You're dead to me" on Netflix. We made it till about 10:30. Fireworks around our house started before dark so we got to hear and see them well before that Magic hour.

Here's to hoping everyone as a healthy 2023!

Betty-white-cheers GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Like # people like this
Hieu
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2023

Happy new year!!! 
Go ahead and improve the skills...

Like # people like this
vikram
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 9, 2023

Happy new year to All, 

I was with my cousins invited for a party, we enjoyed whole night.

Vikram P

Like # people like this
Jousef January 11, 2023

Happy New Year everyone!!!

I had a special NYE this year around. Usually I stay home or with family and/or friends to watch the fireworks in Berlin from a balcony and having a nice meal, maybe a Raclette we prepare our food on. It's good, though now that I own a pet little bunny, I don't like it at all anymore seeing how scared he can get from all the loud explosions.

This year I danced through the night in Vietnam in a beautiful little town called Hoi An. I was travelling the country with a group and we rented a boat and had our own party with our music and lots of good food.
PXL_20221230_114000755.jpg

An unforgettable night with great people by my side and lots of fun! I don't remember to see any fireworks, so I was happy with that fact as well! :)

Hope you're all starting off the new year with lots of good energy and with a whole lot of new ideas to add to your Atlassian products as an admin! :D

Best,
Jousef

Like # people like this
Makboulath Raoufou January 11, 2023

i watched christmas movies all day long

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events