Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Miscellaneous Monday: Canadian Currency on Canada Day!

Happy Monday Everyone!

To all my fellow Canadian members, Happy Canada Day! I love keeping to the roots of Miscellaneous Monday and provide you all with some random facts that you never knew you wanted to learn.

I could go on about how unlike our neighbors to the south, the “Dominion of Canada“ while a country as of 1867 is still a part of the British sovereignty.

However, I thought instead I should share some random facts about Canada’s currency (the Canadian Dollar). The Bank of Canada was first established in 1934 and it was in 1935 that the first series of bank notes started to be printed. Since then, the affectionately known “monopoly money“ has gone through 8 design changes.

The one I remember the most (introduced in 1986 and ended in 2001) was the “Birds of Canada“ series. Which can be identified by the following information:

CanadianCurrency.JPG

Two fun facts about this design series:

• This was the last time the $2 note was printed (as it was replaced by the $2 coin; the Toonie in 1996)

• This was also the last time the $1000 note was printed as the RCMP requested production of these cease as later confirmed information indicated that the majority of these notes were being held and used by organized crime.

I hope you learned something you may not have known previously and I wish you all a wonderful week ahead!

6 comments

Comment

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 1, 2024

@Jimmy Seddon thanks for the post and early AM education on Canadian minting. 

Like # people like this
Daria Kulikova_GitProtect_io_ July 1, 2024

@Jimmy Seddon Thank you for the interesting information about the Canadian Dollar! Happy Canada Day! :) 

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 1, 2024

Happy Canada Day to you @Jimmy Seddon and all of the Canadians here!

Like # people like this
Summer.Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 1, 2024

Happy Canada Day and thanks for the info on Canadian currency @Jimmy Seddon! Super cool stuff! I'll be in Canada visiting your country the week after next week when I get off my Alaska cruise in Vancouver and then go spend a day in Victoria! I'm so excited for my trip! 

Like # people like this
Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2024

Happy Canada Day! This is truly miscellaneous, though now I'm hoping the ask a question about Canadian currency at trivia tonight.

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 2, 2024

Happy Canada Day (a bit late!) Thanks for sharing this miscellany! 

Happy Canada Day, Canada day design, Maple leaf clip art, July first  celebration, Canada day decoration, 25431974 Vector Art at Vecteezy

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events