Community Leader Gloria Ojukwu shares her love for creating communities others can grow in

Today we are spotlighting @Gloria Ojukwu's story as an online and Atlassian Community Events Leader! With a deep love for agile and community, Gloria utilizes her superpowers to make knowledge accessible to everyone. From starting HerTechTrail, a nonprofit that builds sustainable careers for African women in tech, to joining the Atlassian Community, Gloria shares her passion for creating spaces others can grow in.

As we spotlight Leaders in both Atlassian Community Leader programs, we hope you enjoy the journey each Leader has taken to find a community of likeminded people interested in growing their potential with Atlassian products and practices.

gloria.001.jpeg

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

How did you hear about the Atlassian Community?

I wrote an article on what to do before launching a software product, @Bridget Sauer found it and invited me to be a Atlassian Author. A year into that program, I started researching the Community Leader program. I contacted @Darline and said I would like to extend my involvement. She introduced me to @Isha, and that’s how I became the Community Leader for the Port Harcourt ACE Chapter.

Why did you decide to be a Leader in the Online and ACE programs?

I started as an Online Community Leader, but because of my background in managing communities, I already had a flair for hosting events. I think it’s one of my superpowers! I love having people come together. Starting from small groups and watching them grow as their interests are being fed.

Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 12.03.13 PM.png

What have you enjoyed about being an Online/ACE Leader? How do you balance the two?

It gives me joy to see people grow with a common passion. This year has been tough, so I’ve focused more on ACEs and raising a team of volunteers who can carry some of the duties. Our ACE chapter also got a new co-Leader, Chibueyim Alex. It’s been so cool to see how we can chase the vision of the community

On balance, the online community is something I can do at any time and anywhere, so I leverage that flexibility. Sometimes when I go to bed, I tell myself “Okay I’m going to answer five questions.“ That’s a pattern of balance I’ve used so that I can give ACEs the time they require.

Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 12.04.05 PM.png 

---------------------------------------------

Learn about the Community Leader Program

Explore Free, User-Led Events

---------------------------------------------

What influence has your involvement in either program had in your profession?

Who do you find attending your ACEs and what content resonates most with them?

Two groups of people come to our events. First, people in tech, aka techies, (Designers, Developers, Product/Project Managers) who want to learn how to use Atlassian tools. Second, startup leaders who are interested in work culture and want to network with product and practice implementors. Both groups want practical content. At out last event, we introduced them to the Atlassian University and in our next event, we will have workshops where they can get hands on with the tools. It’s all about what new things can we teach our community - What new features is Atlassian offering? How is Atlassian making existing features better?

Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 12.05.11 PM.png

What’s one tip you’d give a Leader who is in both programs?

Screen Shot 2022-12-28 at 6.58.30 PM.png

Thank you, Gloria, for sharing! You can find Gloria at Twitter / LinkedIn / Port Harcourt ACEs.

Open to meeting fellow curious minds? Join free, user-led events - wherever you are.

Stay tuned for more spotlights and check out past ones here!

5 comments

Comment

G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2023

Good to know and read about your journey @Gloria Ojukwu

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2023

Loved hearing more about your work, @Gloria Ojukwu 

Like # people like this
Gloria Ojukwu January 18, 2023

Thank you @Viktoriya Borisova for this feature. Thanks @Amanda Barber @G subramanyam 🙂

Like # people like this
Esther Ovie
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2023

This is great. Keep on the good work. @Gloria Ojukwu 

Like # people like this
Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 14, 2023

This was really awesome to read - I always look forward to seeing Nigeria's ACE updates in the community slack! Also, ditto on the "answer 5 questions before bed" goal - but for me I find myself having to read like 10 or 20 posts before I come across one that needs an answer I can provide.

I especially liked that you make your ACEs an extension of you - I think that's very important from a long-term sustainability perspective otherwise you'll either burn out or lose desire to run them.

Keep up the great work!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events