cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the name of your plant?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2024

Okay this will be different, and I hope fun!

Do you have a plant in your home that you have named? If so what is the name - and a bonus if you want to tell why. 

Maybe it's a velvety type plant and you call it Harry. 

Velvet plant.jpg

Or maybe its what is popularly called Mother-in-Law Tongue plant (known for it's sharp, spiked tip) and you call it ... Mom? Doris?   :-X

Mother In Law.jpg

Or maybe you have a favorite singer and you call it Robert (as was the plant in our office area aptly called).

Robert Plant.jpg

And if you haven't named your plant (you should!!) Or don't have a plant yet -  what would you name it? 

11 comments

Comment

Ankush Bora January 22, 2024

I do have few plants. Never really thought about naming them.
In case, I do change my mind, I would opt for 'feminine' names associated with cartoons or the like.
For ex. Fiona (Shrek), Ariel (The Little Mermaid), Elsa (Frozen) etc.

Like # people like this
Sajit Nair
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2024

Same.. have some plants never named them though.
I think I should call my basil plant as Robert now.. That was funny!

QQ - if plants take other plants as fertiliser, does that make them carnivorous or herbivorus ? :D 

Like # people like this
Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2024

maybe it makes them cannibals 

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 22, 2024

Sounds like a future Quiz Master question to me!

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 22, 2024

@John Funk thanks for this post, I had not thought of this in years.

I had a braided ficus tree in my room during high school. It's name was Fred. There were two reasons for this:

1. With the last name Gladstone, the Ficus was Fred Flinstone.
  2. I had a married cousin named Fred, whose wife's name was Fern. Since my mother had a fern in the living room, it just made sense to have a Fred too!

Ficus-Wintergreen-7G-Braid-800x1000.jpg

Like # people like this

If this were a 'real picture', it does look like a 'Fred' to me. @Andy Gladstone 

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 22, 2024

Awesome! Sounds like a perfect name. 

Like # people like this
Rebekka Heilmann (viadee)
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 22, 2024

Honestly, plants tend to not survive long enough to name them :D it's certainly not lack of care though, i promise! My flat doesn't get direct sunlight from September-April.. Especially with the dull weather we had for the past couple of months. Some plants cope, others don't.

I named our household appliances though.. We had Robita, the vacuum robot, Luigi, a battery powered vacuum and then there's Ziggy - we had to rename Alexa with several friends having similar names ;) 
Robita and Luigi have been fired in the past year due to bad work ethics. They spit out more dirt than they could hoover up :( 

Like # people like this

This was fun. @Rebekka Heilmann (viadee) 

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 22, 2024

We probably all have a few friends like Robita and Luigi  haha. Thanks for sharing - I would love to know what you call the next plant you get. Especially in light of knowing it's soon demise (ala Robita and Luigi). 

Like # people like this
Sajit Nair
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2024

You could name your plant on GOT charecters knowing most of them die anyway. 
'Ned stark' would be a good start. 🤣

Like # people like this
Summer.Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2024

Interesting question @John Funk! I don't have plants, but if I did I suppose knowing me I would name them after Harry Potter characters. Draco seems like a good name for an evil plant and Luna seems like a good name for a pretty plant. 

Like Amanda Barber likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2024

You have evil plants? 

Aaron Geister
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2024

I think the name of our plant is money tree lol jokes I think its something like a money plant or lucky cactus.

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2024

Everybody needs a money tree!

Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2024

No names for any of our plants, but we do have fun magnets that look like sunglasses for a few of them. :) 

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2024

Okay, your goal this week is to pick one and name it.  :-)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 26, 2024

When I'm working in my study, a large houseplant can be seen behind me when I'm on a Zoom call.

It is at least 140 years old, sort of - my great-grandfather says his parents had it before he was born, and most of my father's side of the family took cuttings from his and have successfully grown them into new plants.  I think mine is a cutting from my parent's cutting, so 2 generations at least, but I've had it for over 25 years now.

We call them "Monster plants", as their name is Monsteria Delicosa, and they can get monstrously large if not controlled.  I think "swiss cheese plant" is more commonly used in North America.

But mine is called "Uncle Rangdo" after a character in my favourite game show of my youth (albeit the character was played by an Aspidistra rather than a monster plant for half of the shows)

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 26, 2024

What an awesome story and a perfect example of a great name!

Shawn Doyle - ReleaseTEAM
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2024

While I name spiders that find themself in my office, I don't have names for my plants.  If I did I would probably name them all Neil.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2024

Interesting - why Neil? 

Shawn Doyle - ReleaseTEAM
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 6, 2024

Naming plants made me think of https://theyoungones.fandom.com/wiki/Neil_Pye

Like John Funk likes this
Bijay Duwal February 27, 2024

My plant name is mooswa.

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 27, 2024

Nice - why that name?

Bijay Duwal February 28, 2024

It is Newari name of typical flower that blossom at end of Spring and I love the fragrance of that flower.

Like # people like this
Josh Shepherd
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 9, 2024

I named a plant Robert in an office once. No one got it! THANK YOU for the validation!!

Another good name might be Nuclear

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 10, 2024

Nice - I like it! That's my kind of humor.  :-)

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 12, 2024

Ohh, I got Robert when I read your comment.

It reminded me of a peace lily one of my flatmates got, which she called LyndaLa.

Like John Funk likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events