Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Miscellanous Monday - start your week off right

Kai Becker
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2024

It's Monday - start your week off right

Mondays, some people love them and others hate them.

mondays-lazy.gif

As a rule, I always try to start Monday in a relaxed way. At least that usually means that our daughter starts kindergarten in a good mood
Then it's off to catch up on emails with a hot coffee and then the first meetings of the day start.
I'm already looking forward to it getting warmer again soon and being able to cycle to the office in a relaxed manner.

Do you have a typical Monday morning? Or is every Monday different for you?
What are your do's and don'ts on Mondays?

15 comments

Comment

Rebekka Heilmann _viadee_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2024

Monday Morning rule: Never have meetings scheduled before 9 am!

When working from home, I usually start around 9, never later than 9.15 . Meetings earlier than that are fine, but I need to be reminded the day before. As I don't check my calendar or emails on Sundays, being on time for Monday 8 am meetings is mearly luck :D

Like # people like this
Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2024

This is a good tip

Like Summer.Hogan likes this
Ankush Bora February 5, 2024

For me, no early meetings on Monday morning. Everything else, falls through just alright.
Personally, I don't fuss much about Monday 'blues'. It may put me off at times in isolated cases.
Overall, I feel Mondays need more love. :)

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2024

At my current job, there's no more "Sunday scaries" which helps my Mondays start off on a better foot. I try to have the kids' school things ready the night before to help ease the morning slog! On a personal level, I also like to make sure I start the week off with a good workout. While waiting for my kiddos to get off to school, I like to check in on emails and check off any small tasks, then I go to the gym, and start the rest of my workday a bit later. 

Like # people like this
melissa_hedge February 5, 2024

My Monday alarm goes off 30 minutes earlier than the rest of the week. My girls and I watch funny videos on during that time. It's our way of spending just a little more "fun" time before the craziness of the week kicks off. After I drop them off for school, I go through my notes for the previous week and then my to-do's for the upcoming week. 

Like # people like this
Ananjan_miniOrange February 5, 2024

Happy Monday Everyone! 🌟

My go-to Monday ritual is pretty simple: I jot down my focus points for the week and make sure I kickstart the day with a soothing cup of tea.

Mondays are usually a routine, but let's be real – if it follows a long weekend, it's a bit of a challenge to get back in the groove. Can you all relate? 😅😅

Thanks, @Kai Becker for the engaging post! Have a cheerful week ahead everyone✌️

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2024

DO's: Make sure I have a good breakfast and get that first coffee bright and early. Also, make sure to go to sleep on Sunday night at a decent hour so I don't ruin my Monday before I wake up on Monday.

DON'T's: Schedule any meetings before 12:30PM. Monday's always have a way of surprising me, and the more prepared I am with a clear schedule and mindset, the better I can react and reset!

Like # people like this
PJ Zaiac
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
February 5, 2024

I love how many folks here have 'no early Monday meetings' boundaries! 🤩

For me, I kick Monday mornings off with a look at what's coming up this and next week, planning out some priorities for the week, and starting with something small & achievable to get that first 'win' in by lunch - it gives me momentum for the rest of the week! 

Like # people like this
Shawn Doyle - ReleaseTEAM
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2024

Monday brings a unique vibe, but I start with positivity and a clear plan. My do's include setting clear goals for the week, an unhealthy breakfast, and a moment of gratitude.

Like # people like this
Janice
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
February 5, 2024

Mondays are a focus day for me, I spend a chunk of the morning resetting weekly priorities and adding any carry-over items from the previous weeks to-do list to prep for a smooth week. I try and not schedule meetings on Mondays, most people like a no-meeting Friday but I am the no-meeting Monday type. >.< I don't mind if there are meetings, I just try and keep it minimal to increase focus time.

As far as start the day morning routines go, everyday is pretty much the same (WFH) - let the doggos out, make a cup of coffee (any other Nespresso fans here?), and then catch up on personal & work emails before sliding into "work" mode.

Like # people like this
Summer.Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2024

Great conversation you have created here @Kai Becker! I'm with @Rebekka Heilmann _viadee_, and I never schedule meetings before 9 am on a Monday. I start off my day with coffee, a meditation session and then I look at my calendar and plan my week. At this time, I will confirm any meetings I haven't already and figure out when my focus time will be. I also confirm any pending deadlines I have. Then I move on to checking emails and doing actual work. I find when I take my time on Monday mornings prior to do any actual work and follow my routine, it is a lot easier for me to get through the week. 

Like # people like this
Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2024

I try to start with a good night's sleep, followed by a good breakfast with 2 cups of tea (3 if the sleep is not so good). It also helps if no one else in my house tries to talk to me while I am eating—for some reason that throws me off. There's no reason for the other 2 people to be awake at the early hour.

Once I start working, I check whether anyone on my team that is 6 hours ahead has requested anything from me. This is followed by email and then trying to remember what I was doing the previous week.

Like # people like this
Janice
Community Manager
February 8, 2024

I identify SO MUCH with the 'try to remember what I was doing last week'! I started keeping weekly notes in evernote, just adding to it through the week on threads or items to track and it's helped my ADHD brain be less of sieve. >.<

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 6, 2024

I don't have a set schedule for Mondays any more. Every week is a new adventure!

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2024

Sorry I'm late to the party.  Mondays are my "old" (preferred) routine where I'm working from home and able to get the dog out for a morning walk and help my wife get the kids out the door to school/daycare.

I have also, started setting aside blocks on Mondays and Fridays (since those are my at home days) to have focus time to get work done.

Tuesday - Thursday I'm in the office so I try to make sure meetings are scheduled during these days as I'm going to be less productive anyway.

Like # people like this
Caity Belta
Community Manager
February 8, 2024

Celebrating Miscellaneous Monday on a Thursday! Better late than never. 

My Monday philosophy is similar to @PJ Zaiac  @Ananjan_miniOrange and @Janice - planning for the week ahead. I engage in daily planning (for work and personal!) for 15-20 minutes every morning with my coffee, but on Monday I also look at the week. 

I do have a favorite part of my planning ritual: writing out one thing I am avoiding and indicating whether or not I will take action on that thing today. It's usually a task in my personal life, but it helps me set an intention and follow though! If I don't intend to take action on the task, it gets carried over to the next day in the same fashion. After about three days I get annoyed writing the same thing over and over :D

Like # people like this
Josh Shepherd
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 9, 2024

Coffee. Copious amounts of coffee. Does that count as the Monday ritual? 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events