Miscellaneous Monday - Your Beverage of Choice

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2023

Did you know that on this day in 1886 one of the most iconic beverages was invented? 

That's right, Coca-Cola, the number one soda beverage sold and consumed throughout the world (Water is the #1 beverage), was created on May 8, 1886.

Atlanta Georgia based pharmacist John Stith Pemberton is credited with creating the Coca-Cola syrup and combining it with carbonated water to create a frothy, tasty drink that would be sold at soda fountains. 

Coca-Cola fishtail logo

The origin story is however, not one of glitz and glamor. It was the result of experimentation that Pemberton did in his own lab to come up with a tonic to ease the pain of a saber wound he suffered in 1865 which resulted in a morphine addiction. In a continuation of his personal tragedy, even when he invented and marketed the soft drink he never benefitted greatly from it, selling its rights for a penance and dying bankrupt only two years later.

Pemberton turned to Coca-Cola as his comfort drink. What's yours? Let us know by participating in the discussion below!

39 comments

Comment

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2023

Sweet iced tea - hands down!

Like # people like this
Chris Iacovelli May 8, 2023

I once ordered a Sweet Tea in Atlanta. I recovered from the sugar coma 2 weeks ago.

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2023

It was just right then 😂

Like # people like this
Heather Ronnebeck
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2023

Raspberry Ginger Ale -- Hands down easiest comfort drink. 

Schweppes Raspberry Ginger Ale - 591ml - ExoticAccess

Like # people like this

I am a Ginger Ale purist but admit i do like a strawberry in it from time to time. I will have to give raspberries a try.

Like # people like this
Heather Ronnebeck
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2023

This was my favourite as a kid, but I can't get it anymore where I am. It's probably similar to strawberry if I was to guess the flavour. 

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2023

Ginger Ale is in my top 5

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2023

@Heather Ronnebeck no Raspberry Schweppes in Winnipeg?? 

Like Amanda Barber likes this
Heather Ronnebeck
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2023

Sadly not @Andy Gladstone . I have to go into the US to get it nowadays. I used to be able to get it as a kid no problem before I moved out here. 

We just get the Cranberry stuff now out here though.

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2023

I'm bringing a 24 pack with me next time i visit my Montreal office and shipping it over to you!

LoRi May 8, 2023

I' m going to try this!

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2023

I had no idea flavored ginger ale was a thing! I need to look for this.

George Pomar May 8, 2023

When we were kids we used to make a drink from ginger ale.  It was 3 parts ginger ale, 1 part milk, and a dash of vanilla.  It's a homemade ginger cream soda, surprisingly good!

Curt Holley
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2023

While on the "ginger" tip, this Bundaberg Spiced Ginger Beer | A Festive Season Favourite is indeed a seasonal favourite.

Justyna Gdowik _ Deviniti _
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 25, 2023

It looks fantastic 🤩. I wish I had an opportunity to find it somewhere and try 🚀

Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 16, 2023

YUM!  I had no idea this existed ~ now I'm on a mission to find it locally.  I love Ginger Ale.  

My comfort drink right now is Root Beer.  Can't get enough of it (though I'm not normally a soda drinker so I need to cut back a bit...so much sugar)!  I'm liking A&W Root Beer.  Anyone else have a strong preference for a specific brand (Barq's is good too)...

Like Chris Iacovelli likes this
Chris Iacovelli August 16, 2023

@Laurie Sciutti Barq's got bite!

Boylan makes a very nice Root Beer, diet or high test, (and other flavors as well). I think it is regional though.

Boylan® Diet Root Beer, 12 fl oz - Kroger

Like Laurie Sciutti likes this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2023

Difficult to choose, but on a very hot day, I like a Fanta Orange

Fanta Orange.jpeg

Like # people like this

that is a solid choice.

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2023

Love Fanta Orange too! 

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2023

At the Summit in Barcelona in 2018, one of European attendees convinced me to try an orange Fanta - he swore it was different than the stuff sold in the U.S. He was right! It's so much better. I ended up bringing back about a dozen bottles I bought at the airport and rationing them for over a year. I finally found that you could buy the European version from World Market. 

Now I want one!

Like # people like this

If I remember correctly, Coca-Cola had a traces of a controlled substance in it as well in its earlier days.

• Drink - Water.
  • Type - sparkling, flat, mineral, tap (in preference order).
  • Accompaniments - lemon or lime wedge.
  • Temperature - chilled, cold, room, hot.
  • Amount - 40+ oz/day.
Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2023

Naturally coffee, according to my dusty Community bio!

Like # people like this

I miss drinking coffee. Every since I got my internal chemistry right, drinking coffee is a sure fire trip into my hated lover's arms, Insomnia.

And decaf just does not do it for me.

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2023

@Chris Iacovelli - sometimes I need to cut down on it, but I can't quit it entirely. 🤣

I have one cup a day, sometimes two, and always before noon.

Like # people like this
George Pomar May 8, 2023

LOVE coffee!

MV5BMTM0ODc5MjEyMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTMxNDc0Mg@@._V1_.jpg

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2023

Coffee is the best, but in moderation of course! 

Like # people like this
George Pomar May 8, 2023

From Winn Dixie grocery stores, half the price of a Coke and tastes like an RC Cola!

FqP6sxBXgAEyBWn.jpg

Like # people like this

RC pop was a great soda from my childhood. Cannot find it anymore where I live.

Like # people like this
Sandra Axelsdottir
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2023

Pepsi Max Max Cola Canned Beverage - 24 per carton - LD Products

Like # people like this
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2023

Is this the one that is now 'Pepsi Zero Sugar'?  

Sandra Axelsdottir
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 9, 2023

I guess so, just the European version :) 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2023

Tea, mainly Black.

I'm not fond of White or Green teas, and dip into Oolongs and Pu-erh's when I want something a little different.

Coffee is second, and for cold drinks, I go through an awful lot of Tonic water.

Like # people like this
Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2023

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  I grew up on black tea (my father is from England and my grandmother taught me how to drink it right). 

White and green tea are all in the preparation of the tea. Not as forgiving as black tea so you have to brew them carefully at the right temperature, so they are not bitter.

Like # people like this
LoRi May 8, 2023

I am also a tea drinker: but mostly GREENS! I make a ceremonial matcha every morning!

Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2023

I'm going with POG! POG is one of my favorite drinks, but I don't drink it very often unless I'm in Hawaii! 
918H4tbIjPL._SY679_PIbundle-24,TopRight,0,0_SX359SY679SH20_.jpg

Like # people like this
Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2023

Water

Then hot green tea

Then coffee - anyway - hot, cold brew, etc....

Like # people like this
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2023

Up until ten years ago I drank Diet Coke, about 12 cans day. Starting with breakfast. Room temperature or cold, it didn't matter. I would go to customers' offices with a 12-pack ready, just in case they didn't have any Diet Coke in their breakrooms.

Eventually my pancreas objected and I spent 6 weeks unable to do much out of bed. After the recovery I started drinking coffee, good coffee only, about once per day. I still haven't learnt how to drink tea (which is a bit awkward for a Brit).

So, moderation with all these drinks is the way to go. I still miss it though. 

Like # people like this
Chris Iacovelli May 9, 2023

12 cans day, you, single handedly, kept Coca-Cola in business :)

Like # people like this
Stuart Capel - London
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2023

I used to love Lilt but the changed it to Fanta tropical now and it's not the same 😭

Like # people like this
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2023

Mountain Dew (well, Mtn Dew Zero) for the win.... I spose we're not supposed to be drinking in the community, otherwise I would have said Yuengling Beer.

Like # people like this
George Pomar May 8, 2023

Yuengling draft is one of the few times I consider a beer beverage.  Tasty!

Like # people like this
LoRi May 8, 2023

Apparently i drink 64 OZ of tea during my work day, according to my giant thermos I bring to work. I like to start with a matcha when i can, then the thermos holds blends i make from red to white depending on how i feel. I like to buy all the loose leaf variety with fun adds like chocolate, grapefruit or anything but flowers. My fav blend is Genmaicha and vanilla roibbos. 

Like # people like this
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2023

Caffeine-free Diet Pepsi for me, although only 1 can a day now. I grew up in an area with unpotable water, and in the 70's bottled water wasn't really a thing, so we drank Diet Pepsi. I'm really sensitive to stimulants, so as soon as the caffeine-free version came out I switched. 

I love the way coffee smells, but hate the way it tastes. Tried to get into tea at one point, but there were too many options and you have to be so careful with the greens and other non-caffeinated ones, and I just don't have the patience for the whole ritual.

Generally I drink flavored sparkling water, although my true "comfort" beverage is really rich hot cocoa with peppermint syrup and whipped cream. It's cold 8.5 months of the year here, so plenty of opportunity!

Like # people like this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2023

Pepsi (original formula) was my drink of choice most of my life. I really didn't like the taste of diet colas, but I switched to Pepsi Max (or Pepsi Zero Sugar) when that came out.

Several years ago I started getting a bit concerned about the sugar/sugar-subs and acids in cola sodas and switched to flavored seltzers (naturally flavored, no sugar/sugar-subs).

But the drink I go for when I need a pick-me-up is the Starbuck's Mango Dragonfruit Refresher. It used to be the Cool Lime Refresher, but that got discontinued.

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2023

Great contributions everyone! It really brightened up the start of my week. I was expecting a number of the same posts, but this was a full spectrum of beverages. I am really thirsty now! Have a great week.

Like # people like this
Mahima_miniOrange_SSO
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 8, 2023

Sugarcane Juice!

Like # people like this
Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 9, 2023

I used to drink a lot of Pepsi Max, then one day I no longer liked it. 

I don't drink soft drinks much any more, which makes me enjoy them when a lot when I do.  The 2 of choice for me are:

1.  Dr Pepper - It has to be the American one, the UK one is nowhere near as nice
    Dr Pepper Can 12fl.oz (355ml) - American Fizz
  2. Coca Cola - It has to be the full sugar one and out of a glass bottle.  In Mexico they serve it perfectly chilled and I'm sure the Mexican recipe is sweeter
    Mexican Coke - Wikipedia
Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 9, 2023

Coconut Cola LaCroix (if I can find it) and iced Sportea are my favorites aside from water!

SPORTea 3oz - Anodyne Coffee Roasting Co.

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 9, 2023

I agree with @Dreamsuite Mike Dr. Pepper is my "go to" soft drink, when I have one.

Like # people like this
Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 10, 2023

Because it's hard to find (or overly expensive) in Europe and has become a rare treat, I'm going to go with root beer, and even more specifically a root beer float. 

Last summer I was in Cornwall and happened upon an American style diner when I was feeling particularly under the weather, and as soon as I saw they had root beer floats, my day got better 😊

I also love that when I describe a root beer float to French people, they are always revolted 😆

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 10, 2023

I think I’ll (try to) have a root beer float this week in honor of this post!

Like # people like this
George Pomar May 10, 2023

I'll second @Dave Liao 's comment. Cheers!

Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 10, 2023

We have a Sodastream because I have a "fizzy water" problem. My kids are thrilled since normally we wouldn't really keep soda in the house but I do keep ginger ale and root beer soda syrups for a fun treat. They definitely make a few too many root beer floats, haha!

Like Chris Iacovelli likes this
Chris Iacovelli May 10, 2023

@Dave Liao - In NJ, there is a drive up 50s style burger place called Stewart's. They make the in store fresh made root beer and vanilla ice cream floats. You have caused me to go searching for the closest one for a treat this evening!

Like # people like this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 10, 2023

I used to get root beer floats at the A&W drive-in when I was little. As a teenager I was a car hop (not required to wear roller skates) at that same A&W delivering floats and burgers to others. :D

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 10, 2023

I found carhops fascinating when we finally got a Sonic here in SE Wisconsin, @Trudy Claspill - what a great first job! Rollerskating sure must make that job a bit harder, haha.

Like Trudy Claspill likes this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 10, 2023

Lucky for me I we didn't wear roller skates because I was a terrible skater.

Also, it wasn't my first, but rather my third job.

Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 10, 2023
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2023

Five days later, I got a root beer float!

• I first went to a diner, and they didn't serve root beer floats (but offered an egg creme). My server suggested (1) a burger chain, and (2) an ice cream shop nearby
  • Went to the burger chain, and was told they didn't have root beer floats
  • Went to the ice cream shop, and succeeded! 

root-beer-float-bassetts.jpeg

I now have enough sugar to run a marathon, so I'll take a break from these for awhile. 🙃

Like # people like this
Danny
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 10, 2023

Iced lemon squash or hot tea 

LoRi May 10, 2023

This was my favorite when i was in south america Pulp Soda Orange. Anyone ever had these?
pulpbottles_feature.jpg

Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2023

Randy here... from deep in the heart of the Bluegrass.  If you're from Kentucky, you know it has to be Ale-8-1... produced in Winchester, Kentucky!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events