cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Miscellaneous Monday: YOU are an Olympian

Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2024

The Olympics are officially over (don’t forget the Paralympics starting up towards the end of this month) and wow – what a wild ride! Here are some stories/situations that stood out to me from the events that I watched/followed:

Simone Biles coming back from Tokyo – Simone received a lot of backlash for bowing out of certain gymnastics events in Tokyo as a result of mental health/well-being/etc. Many had written her off and some of the backlash was downright toxic. Fast forward to Paris 2024, and Simone is bringing back 3 Gold medals, 1 silver medal, and status as the most decorated United States Olympics gymnast in history with a total haul of 11 Olympic medals.Olympic Games Sport GIF by NBC Olympics

Suni Lee competes in Paris – Suni was never expected to compete in Paris due to an incurable kidney disease that left her gymnastics career in doubt, yet she overcame and took home 3 medals, against all odds!Olympic Games Sport GIF by NBC Olympics

Rebeca Andrade - Became the first Brazilian to medal at the Olympics for Gymnastics in 2020, despite having multiple ACL injuries, walking for hours to practice, and being raised by a single mom who cleaned houses took care of her 7 siblings. She shined in Paris with 4 medals!Olympic Games Sport GIF by NBC Olympics

Artistic Swimming – Seeing teams work together in the sport of artistic swimming was astounding to watch. Everyone had to work together above water and below water. 

USA Men’s Team Gymnastics – Stephen Nedoroscik, the pummel horse Clark Kent. The men’s team helped end a 16-year drought of medaling as everyone on the US team delivered their best. Stephen stood out, not just for being cross-eyed, or solving a Rubik’s cube in under 10 seconds, or for only participating in one event, but for encouraging his teammates and getting water and being an all-around team player.

Noah Lyles 100m Win – 5/1000th of a second is how Noah Lyles took gold in the 100m. Here’s what Noah had to say as a note of encouragement to you:

I have Asthma, allergies, dyslexia, ADD, anxiety, and Depression. But I will tell you that what you have does not define what you can become. Why Not You!.

Couldn’t have said it any better.Noah Lyles Wins the 100 Meters in Dramatic Photo Finish - WSJ

(Wall Street Journal)

Yusuf Dikeç– The shooter from Türkiye stood out not because of what gear he had but what gear he didn’t have. He showed up in the shooting event with casual clothing and some earplugs and won silver. It’s easy for us to judge someone by their appearance, especially what they have or do not have

Julien Alfred: St Lucia’s first Olympic medal ever – Before Julien Alfred, St. Lucia never had any Olympic medal. Yet Julien Alfred made history for her nation by bringing home A MEDAL. And it was gold, in the 100m race. The barriers that Julien broke to bring pride to a nation and pave the way for future stars is an amazing thought.Tenille Clarke on X: "LOL chile Saint Lucia Tourism Board + Airport  Authority said y'all are TOO slow for them on and off the track!!! This  poster of Olympic Champion Julien Alfred

Alison Gibson’s 0.0 DiveScore – On her very first dive at the Paris Olympics, Gibson’s heels hit the springboard on her way down, resulting in a non-dive. As a result, the 0.0 score prevented Gibson from advancing to the semi-finals, ending her Paris run. Why do I include this? Well, I’ll let Alison put it in her own words:

But one thing that I say is I hope that anyone who is watching just was able to see what it looks like to get up and keep going even when things don't go the way you want them to. It's about the fight…Obviously, today didn't go the way I wanted it to, but I think you can learn and grow from every experience, and I truly hope that the next generation of athletes recognize that even in the worst moments you can keep fighting, you can walk courageously.

From the balance beam event in Gymnastics to falling off a bike or tripping during a running race, Olympic-caliber athletes get up (as they can) and keep moving forward.Diver Alison Gibson speaks out on 'painful' Olympics experience

(New York Post)

Ese Ukpeseraye receives a bike from the Germans – Team Nigeria was invited to compete in the track event for cycling at the last minute (looks like it was a disqualification of another country). Ese did not have the right bike, and it would have taken too long to get the approved bike for the track event, but Germany came to the rescue and lent Ese a bike to use during the event. Ese Lovina Ukpeseraye: Nigerian Cyclist really borrow bike to race for 2024  Paris Olympics? - BBC News Pidgin

(BBC)

Most of us reading this post will likely never be an Olympian, but I would argue that while we may never qualify for the Olympics, our lives are its own Olympics - and we are all Olympians in our own lives. Think back to the times you:

• Were in Simone’s situation and you had to make a hard choice to put your health first, and the backlash that ensued.
  • Or the times that you have showed up against the odds like Suni.
  • Perhaps you were in uncharted waters like Rebeca and the Brazilian Gymnastics team and had to scrape by to break ground in a new area unfamiliar to people around you and you had to be resourceful.
  • What about those times in life when you put ego aside to work in sync with a team to produce something beautiful such as what the athletes do in artistic swimming.
  • Or maybe you do not feel like you have much to offer, and you have conditions that work against you, but you show up and deliver the best you can deliver for your team like Stephen and help your team achieve success!
  • Or have your personal disadvantages become your greatest strengths when it mattered most as it did for Noah?
  • Perhaps you have showed up without having as much as the people around you, but you have grit, stamina, and the utmost concentration needed to perform in the situation you are putting yourself into.
  • Perhaps like Julien your personal win is a larger win for your family or community, or an entire nation. You have broken ground for your family, maybe as the first to go to college, or to lift your family out of poverty, or you brought light to your community by just being you.
  • Or you fought your way to the world stage only to see your dreams shattered like Alison’s 0.0 dive, but you picked yourself up again and finished what you started and salvaged what you could because you have trained yourself to keep showing up, even if you don’t want to.
  • Perhaps like Ese you have been on the receiving end of serendipity where you did not have what you needed but by the generosity of strangers you are able to move forward in certain circumstances.

These are all rhetorical questions to make you think. I had a wonderful 2-week retro of my life watching these athletes compete, though it was focused on the non-athletic parts of my life. Seeing these athletes overcome all odds, from all parts of the world, compete on the world stage that they have dedicated their lives for, inspires me to try harder!

So what do I want you to take away from all of this?

• You’ve made it this far - celebrate! Life is hard, it’s a privilege to be here! Life is too short not to celebrate the small wins (dubs?). Pat yourself on the back, you are here, and that is awesome.
  • Individual efforts matter. Every athlete at the Olympics has worked their bottoms off to get to shine for a few seconds/minutes/hours (for marathoners) on the world stage.That is something to celebrate (see the previous point). It is not wrong to acknowledge the individual efforts that you invested to get here.
  • Teams still matter. Behind every athlete is a coach or team of coaches, a family, and a community. These support systems contribute to an Olympian’s success. It’s why many speeches at award ceremonies are littered with thank you language, or why an “acknowledgement” section exists in large books. Team efforts are not in competition with individual efforts. Team success does not need to overshadow individual success. It takes both. In an increasingly individualistic culture, remember the team/community that lifts you up when you are down, that pushes you to achieve new heights, and is there for you when you stumble and fall.

I could talk about the Olympics for another month and share more stories that I did not have room to share here, but I am curious - what Olympics stories hit differently for you from Paris - and what lessons did you learn/relearn as a result?

8 comments

Comment

Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2024

I have recorded the Olympics coverage, and I've only made it through Day 3, but I hope to finish before the Paralympics start.

So far, I've been reminded that the pressure of a final chance can bring out the best in some people—skateboarding, team gymnastics, team archery.

In my own life, this comes into play in what some might call procrastination 😉, like:

• packing the suitcase, since the plane leaves tomorrow at 6AM
  • cleaning the house, since company is arriving today
  • (from my school days) writing the term paper the night before it was due
Like # people like this
Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2024

@Barbara Szczesniak I hope you made it through all of your recordings and avoided the spoilers (not sure how many I spoiled for you here oops!)

pressure of a final chance can bring out the best in some people

That is a very eloquent way to put it. I am sure there's been extensive research done into how the mind shifts knowing that your final chance is on the line and it enters some sort of extra-focused state. And yes, for us we call it procrastination, but I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing!

In regards to your second bullet point, whenever we have guests over I always thank them extensively for coming because it means we finally have a clean house and the socializing is just what we needed to fix that ;) 

Like # people like this
Susan Waldrip
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 12, 2024

There are occasionally very surprising acts of kindness and support during the Olympics. One such act (as I saw it) was when the coach and team for the men's 1x400 meter relay race included 16-year-old Quincy Wilson, an amazing runner at his high school and certainly destined for great things. He was not quite at the level of the other runners and there was a lot on the line for the men's team, but they gave him a huge opportunity and very clearly supported his efforts before and after the race. They were gracious about his mistakes and encouraging at every stage, and that, to me, is the spirit of the Olympics! I've had similar experiences in my career, people who saw something in me and gave me a chance to push myself and grow -- even when I wasn't at their level, they knew I'd try my best and succeed in somethings, learn a lot in others. I've been very fortunate, and tried to do the same to give back because that, to me, is the spirit of teamwork and community!

Like # people like this
Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 26, 2024

I missed that @Susan Waldrip but I did read about a 16 year old at the Olympics! I 1000% agree with you, if we want to encourage initiative and empower others we need to at some point make ourselves vulnerable and put our trust (to an extent) on other people - especially if they've expressed a desire to grow #positivereinforcement. Obviously in certain situations we try to mitigate the risk that could happen in the worst possible scenario, but to see that kind of opportunity being given out on the world stage is a refreshing reminder.

And, it's awesome that you're paying it forward, because you are right - this is how we grow as a team and community, which is what this site is all about eh?

Like # people like this
Summer Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 12, 2024

There were so many moments when I truly reflected on my life as well @Sam Nadarajan and great post, BTW!
Two resilience stories that really stuck with me happened at the pool! First can we say Leon Marchand! He became the sixth swimmer in Olympic history to win four gold medals at a single Games. During an interview with LeMonde he talked about stress, which we all have and said "Of course, I still have stress. But I'm managing it better and better, and that's why I'm able to smile when I arrive, and feel energized. In fact, I always have a balance to manage between doubt and confidence. In general, I have 70% confidence and 30% doubt, and I need both to perform." It's nice to know that even people as great as him have stress! 

And can we also give it up to Katie Ledecky who earned two golds, one silver, and one bronze to take control of the Olympic lead for gold (nine) by a female olympic swimmer! She talked about goals during an interview recently and said "I would encourage you to set really high goals. Set goals that, when you set them, you think they're impossible. But then every day you can work towards them, and anything is possible, so keep working hard and follow your dreams." She's right! 

I learned a lot of things from these two individuals during the Olympics! 

Like # people like this
Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 26, 2024

@summer.hogan Ugh I can't even get the typeahead to pull up your name!!

I'm so glad you captured those quotes. It reveals the remarkable consistency of the mindset for all Olympic athletes across a variety of sports/disciplines. That kind of mentality is needed to play at your A-game, and that could be at either the Olympics, work, school, etc.

At some point, these individuals were in the same mindset boat that the majority of individuals are, but I am glad they choose to confront their doubts early on and pick away at it little by little, and I'm thankful for the coverage into their stories to encourage us on our journeys!

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 12, 2024

I continue to be inspired by Kristian Faulkner. She has consistently taken advantage of opportunities that have come her way with humility and poise. She only began cycling prior to Covid. She has been on World Tour Teams for the past three seasons. She was not supposed to race in the Olympic Road race, but was a last minute replacement for another cyclist, Taylor Knibb, who was also racing in the Triathlon which was delayed due to the rain and pollution in the Seine. During the race she took advantage of an opportunity to be in the chase group, and caught the break with a few kilometers to go. Rather than slow down and join the group, she took the opportunity to accelerate and immediately create a gap in front of her competitors that became the winning move. 

She was only at the Olympics for one event - the Team Pursuit. She won gold in that event too, and helped the team set a US record in the process.

Kristian has consistently spoken about the micro-decisions that helped her get to where she is today. But the one common theme was taking advantage of the opportunities we are provided.

Responsibility finds the responsible. Accountability finds the accountable. Challenges become opportunities to those that embrace them.

Like # people like this
Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 26, 2024

"Challenges become opportunities to those that embrace them"

@Andy Gladstone It is crazy in hindsight to see how all of these different, seemingly unrelated events came together to produce the champion Kristian that we're celebrating now! If she hadn't switched to cycling, or if she had not been replaced, or [insert some other factor here] then we likely would not have heard of her in this news cycle. Given how complex our world is the investment and efforts on our part are not always guaranteed to lead to anything at the outset, but they can help us be better positioned for an opportunity that may arise. That's how I see my hard work even if it feels like it's going nowhere - if I enjoy doing it and if I can keep at it long enough - who knows what I will be able to do in a few years? 

Like # people like this
Shawn Doyle - ReleaseTEAM
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 13, 2024

I was really impressed by how this year's Summer Olympics brought together such a diverse range of sports and athletes from all over the world. The spirit of competition and the incredible performances that I've heard about really exemplify what the Olympics are all about. It's amazing to think about the level of dedication and training that goes into preparing for an event of this magnitude. From what I've gathered, there were some truly memorable moments that will inspire people for years to come. It's always refreshing to see how the Olympics can unite people and countries through the power of sport.

Like # people like this
Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 26, 2024

@Shawn Doyle - ReleaseTEAM I agree! I'm glad we only have to wait 2 years for the Winter Olympics!

Like Susan Waldrip likes this
Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 14, 2024

I get so excited watching the olympics!

Like # people like this
Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 26, 2024

Same! But it takes so much discipline to avoid spoilers!

Stephen.Lugton
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 16, 2024

One of the occasions that was outstanding for me was the pistol shooting where the South Korean competitor wore hi-tech target shooting vision aids while the Turkish competitor stood up with both eyes open and won silver.  It just shows that you don't need all those crutches to succeed, just practice and commitment.

Like # people like this
Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 26, 2024

@Stephen.Lugton Yea that was encouraging for me too because while having the extra stuff can help, not many people are afforded the opportunities. I look at it as - can you maximize the use of tools that you currently have before getting more?

Like Susan Waldrip likes this
Vronik
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 25, 2024

Hi all

I think these were incredible Olympics because of all the things that happened at a sporting level, surprises, frustrations, recoveries, all emotions have had a place in these Olympic Games and I recognize that I have lived them with great joy precisely for that reason, because in many sports things have changed and in those changes I think there is a lot of evolution...

Now we wait for the Paralympic Games, which will surely be very exciting.

Regards

Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 26, 2024

@Vronik It will be exciting! They never showed the Paralympics on the basic TV we got from the rabbit ear antennas growing up, so this year I want to make an effort to see those games as well!

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events