Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Miscellaneous Monday - What languages do you speak?

Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2023

Having spent the first 5 months of the year in Central and South America, with very little English spoken in most places we went, my wife and I tried hard to learn a bit of Spanish.  My wife put a lot more effort in than I did and was pretty good.  At times I felt like I made progress, then someone would try and talk to me in Spanish...😵‍💫.  After 6 months, truth be told, I was rubbish. 😳

Speak Spanish Faster - Is this accurate?! 🤣 ⁣ | Facebook

I really want to learn Spanish and have decided that I should attend lessons.

I am heading to Indonesia soon so also want to know the basics of Bahasa also...

Oddly, I went to France recently and I know a bit of French from school but every time someone spoke in French, my first reaction came out in Spanish🤦

What language(s) can you speak and how well?  

What language do you wish you could speak?

Any tips for someone who is hitting a brick wall when it comes to learning a new language?

24 comments

Comment

Evgenii
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2023

• Russian (native)
  • English (Intermediate)
  • Hebrew (a little)

• Spanish

Any tips for someone who is hitting a brick wall when it comes to learning a new language?

Practice, only practice. And it's better, if it will be with native speakers. Without practice knowledge of language degrades :(

Like # people like this
Oliver Siebenmarck _Polymetis Apps_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 3, 2023

• German (native)
  • English (pretty decent)
  • French (a little)
  • Spanish (also a little)
  • Cebuano (Just some words and phrases, but I like it a lot)

• Swedish
  • Japanese 

As @Evgenii already said: Practice! And if you have the means and opportunity to: Travel!

Like # people like this
ronald_bergmann July 5, 2023

Knowing German and English I found Swedish to be very easy to learn (up to a conversational level). Gör det! Det är jätte roligt att lära sig svenska!

Like # people like this
Mahesh Shinde
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2023

It's awesome!

Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 3, 2023

Born and raised in the heartland of the US, I've never operated in a world where I needed anything but English.  While in high school, I tried to learn French, but that didn't go over very well.  Let's just say je ne parle pas français.

I did go on to earn a minor in Hellenistic Greek while working on a degree in Biblical Literature, but that's an unspoken language, and despite my once being able to read some of the New Testament in the original Greek, I've lost those skills... though I do have a fine suite of translation aids at my disposal.

These days, I've managed to learn a few small phrases, in Spanish (Mexican Spanish, not Castilian Spanish), as there is a growing population of Spanish-speaking people in Kentucky.  I've even managed to sing a few songs in Spanish at church, though that was mostly memorizing the phonetics of the lyrics.  Even so, my #1 phrase is realamente no hablo español.

Ultimately, I find myself channeling my inner Bruce Willis, from The Fifth Element:

image.png

Like # people like this
Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 3, 2023

@Oliver Siebenmarck _Polymetis Apps_ @Evgenii Is it true that once you learn one other language, additional ones come easier?  

(if it's not, I don't wanna know 😄)

Like # people like this
Oliver Siebenmarck _Polymetis Apps_
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 3, 2023

@Dreamsuite Mike it's been long since I learned my first second language, but I am pretty sure it gets easier once your brain has wrapped itself around the idea of different languages existing.

Certainly felt like it made it easier for me, but then again I am only fluent in two languages. True polyglots might have a different opinion.

Like # people like this
Dam
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 3, 2023

French (native)

English (trying to lose my french accent 😃)

Vietnamese (for daily life and friends talks)

German (college memories) 

Spanish 

Travel, travel, travel 🚀😃

Like # people like this
Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 3, 2023

Don't lose the accent!  French accents are amazing! 

Like # people like this
Teodora V
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 3, 2023

Bulgarian is my native, so I hope I am good enough at it 😃

English is now my second best to native, because... well, because of life.

I studied Chinese for five years and was pretty good at it but lack of speaking and practicing made me quite rubbish 

Spanish, Italian, maybe Greek :) 

As @Dam said, spend as long as you can in an environment that helps and supports your learning. But being consistent also helps, so don't wait for the perfect opportunity!

Like # people like this
Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 3, 2023

So far a great selection of languages which is making me feel very very monoglot and quite frankly embarrassingly lazy.

@Randy O_Neal Your post sums things up nicely 😂

Like # people like this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 3, 2023

I tried to learn Spanish in school. We had a couple of students from Panama who spoke Spanish natively. When they spoke "naturally" I found that I could not keep up with the speed at which they spoke.

I jokingly say that I speak "ballet French". I take ballet classes, and the terminology is in French, so I know French phrases that are applicable to ballet but would not be useful in a normal conversation. 

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 3, 2023

Great topic! I took French for 6 years, but didn't retain much over the last 20 years. I can read a little still, but never was great at conversation - it takes a lot more brain power for me to make sense of a language when someone is speaking it. Otherwise, I only speak my native English. 

Like # people like this
Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 3, 2023

• English (native)
  • German (Ein bisschen) can understand, speak a little
  • Spanish (enough to travel)

• Czech
  • Spanish

• I really do not have any advice, I know a bit in several languages. I wish I knew what to do to become more fluent.
  • I would guess conversing with someone from the country you wish to speak their language.
Like # people like this
Laurie Sciutti
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 3, 2023

1. English (native)
  2. Italian (studied 4 years in high school and can understand and speak some, more so when I was younger)
  3. Japanese (studied in college, can understand and speak some) 

I wish that I kept learning Italian and Japanese so that I were fluent now.

I think the best advice is to immerse yourself in the language.  If you can, surround yourself with those who speak it natively.

Like # people like this
Ankush Bora January 22, 2024

Great advice!

Markus Fredén
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 3, 2023

Hi!

• Swedish (native)
  • English (very well)

• Russian
  • Dutch

• Give up

/Markus

Like # people like this
Haoyang Lu July 3, 2023

1. Chinese (native)
  2. English(Trying to take a IELTS G test)
  3. Japanese (JLPT N2) 

Serbian.

Take tests (Set a timer, it can bring you pressure).

Failure can effectively make you remember every mistake you made. 

Like # people like this
Justyna Gdowik _ Deviniti _
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 3, 2023

• I can speak Polish as a native language, English at an advanced level, and I have some understanding of German and French.

• I wish I could speak Spanish and Italian.

• If someone is hitting a brick wall when learning a new language, my tip would be to not be afraid of making mistakes and to practice as much as possible. Embrace the learning process and immerse yourself in the language through conversations, reading, and listening. Find resources that work best, such as language apps, textbooks, or language exchange partners. 
Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 3, 2023

yo-tambien.gif

Southern US English is my primary language   :-)

And I guess American English is my second language haha

I also speak Spanish having lived in South America for 5 years. 

About to start learning Arabic now that I am in Dubai. 

Best advice - learn a language while you are young! Have your children learn now while it is much easier for them!!!

Like # people like this
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 4, 2023

• Dutch (mother tongue)
  • English (pretty well)
  • French (if I am given some time to think before I speak)
  • Spanish (when on holiday and in very practical situations)
  • German (if mixing it up with a lot of dutch counts as a basic way of speaking the language too)

Italian and Japanese . Sign language.

Just dare to speak. Even if what you say is totally worng 🤗, language is just a means to facilitate human interaction. People in general are very appreciative when they see you are trying. And, be open to and ask for feedback so you can improve.

Like # people like this
Wojciech Andryszek_Deviniti July 4, 2023

Polish (native)
English (quite well)
German (quite well)
Russian (not so well)
Japanesse (finding a toilet and discuss a fine manga/anime) ;)

Czech
Spanish
Icelandic
Nawajo

Listen, read, speak, sing, think, and write. Repeat all life.

Like # people like this
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 6, 2023

Oh, +1 for Icelandic. Iceland is definitely a destination I have on my travel bucket list, largely thanks to working in the Atlassian ecosystem!

Like # people like this
Emily _ DevSamurai
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 4, 2023

Vietnamese is my mother tongue, and I can speak English and some Chinese. I've always admired people who are able (and manage) to speak many languages since as a bilingual I understand how hard it is to learn a new language, not to mention more than 2 languages at a time. So this topic to me is just like, the summoner of legends somehow :D

In the near future, I will take a Spanish course, and maybe French too. Learning a new language means exploring a new culture, and that's always been one of my go-to parts of the journey. 

I am not that good to come up with any tips for language learners, but here is one thing I got from my own experience: don't be afraid of making mistakes; practice makes perfect, and always will.

Like # people like this
Aslan Bennington-Barr July 4, 2023

I speak English, but I'm learning Japanese and Portuguese.

I think it's really valuable to learn languages, communicating with people from all cultures is important and eye opening.

Like # people like this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 5, 2023

• Dutch / Flemish (native / mother tongue)
  • English (listening, reading, speaking, writing)
  • French (listening, reading, speaking quite sufficient, writing has been a long time ago)
  • German (listening to Mono Inc., Rammstein and the Autogefühl channel on YouTube, reading Auto Motor und Sport, Auto Bild and the lyrics of the artists above, speaking a bit when in Aachen or Düsseldorf, writing has been a long time ago)
  • Spanish (listening to La casa de papel, speaking the very basics on holiday)

• Spanish (mejor)
  • Italian

• If Jean-Marie Pfaff and Frank Welvaert can, you can too. (IYKYK) ⚽️
  • The universal language: Find a partner that speaks that language natively (and preferably some English too) 💞
  • Last resort: Google Translate

Like # people like this
Mike Clarke
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 6, 2023

Wow! Great topic, and amazing to see so many people fluent in different languages.

• English (native)
  • Japanese (poorly)
  • Mandarin, and Spanish (barely)

• I wish I had kept up with Japanese, Mandarin and Spanish - can barely speak toddler these days

Practice and immersion.  Go deeper than the language and soak up the culture(s) associated with the language you're learning - it's more fun that way!

Like # people like this
Summer Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 6, 2023

Great question @Dreamsuite Mike 

English - very well as it is the only language I speak

Japanese - I tried to learn it while I lived there, but it was so difficult. I want to try again! 

Like # people like this
Alexander Pappert
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 8, 2023

german (native)

english

french, but I forogt everything in the last 20 years ;)

Like # people like this
Gia Jgarkava _Twinit_ October 16, 2023

• Georgian (native)
  • English (would call it fluent)
  • Russian (Close to native, but with a heavy Georgian accent :) )
  • Dutch (just a bit)

• Dutch, but really well
  • Sanskrit (or at least Hindi)

• When I tried, some apps or courses were good, though depending on the language, choosing a really good one is hard. For me, the best ones are with a good balance of grammar and vocabulary. Grammar is really important! 
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events