Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Miscellaneous Monday - We are all Pioneers

Dana A July 24, 2023

Did you know that we are all pioneers? As I celebrated pioneer day this weekend and had to tell my story, I wanted to share ....  My family on my father's side traveled from Calabria Italy to America for a better life, not the golden roads as promised but they instilled in me a hard work ethic and you have opportunities to chase them.  

My mother's side were pioneers that traveled from Western North Carolina to Salt Lake for religious freedom or gold, silver and a brighter life originally coming from Scottland and Ireland.

I am a pioneer that chases a dream every day.  Starting in high school wanting to be an oceanographer then going into Navy, then finance, healthcare and currently IT. I figured I would try all career options as we all have 1 life to live, and I have been given multiple opportunities. As every day is a gift. 

We may chase hot air balloons, trains, and airplanes on the side, but we all share in a common goal, to be the best we can be, serve our neighbor, and choose happiness over money.  Hot Air Balloons.jpgTrain.jpg

Tell me your pioneer story.  

7 comments

Comment

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 24, 2023

I wrote the first book to mention Jira as a tool back in 2005. Then one of the first series of books to discuss administering Jira in 2011. Back when people used books to learn technical subjects!

Like # people like this
Dana A July 24, 2023

Congratulations, that is wonderful to hear.  I like getting to know our colleagues.

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 24, 2023

I think that book was the first time I ever heard of you! Before I knew about Reddit and the Atlassian Community... 🤣

Like # people like this
Ankush Bora January 22, 2024

Wooh...indeed a pioneer! :)

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 24, 2023

Whoa, had no idea Pioneer Day was a thing! At least in Utah?

Like # people like this
Dana A July 24, 2023

I know all over the US we celebrate it. 

Like # people like this
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 24, 2023

Eight years ago, I started a volunteer activity in one of the small city zoos in Bulgaria. It needed a decent amount of work in cleaning, painting, fixing fences, and cutting trees and bushes. 
We were just a bunch of friends who loved to do good and support people and animals in need.

It sparked a flame, and now local citizens are doing this regularly.

And I transformed classic polenta into a chocolate cake, so I guess that's my most bold pioneering journey 😀

Like # people like this
Dana A July 24, 2023

Love to hear this for sure, it's amazing to volunteer and I find it exhilarating. 

Like # people like this
Summer.Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 24, 2023

Great subject @Dana A and great job on your first Miscellaneous Monday post! 

I guess my career could be a pioneer story, albeit a selfish one. I guess it all started when I worked at Whataburger. I learned so many valuable skills working there and I wanted more so I went to Arizona State University and got a Bachelors degree in Organizational Communications. After college I set out to find my first IT job and it didn't work out so well. I found a job at a sales company as a supply chain admin. While I was there I got to know all the IT folks I could, which landed me a job in QA! I had made it! That job took me into my first BA role and I was a BA for 15 years. Three years ago I made the switch to Product Owner and now I am a Product Manager (and still doing the Product Owner role too).

While writing this post I looked back on all that experience and can't help but think about all the people who helped me get to where I am today! 

Like # people like this
Dana A July 24, 2023

What an awesome pioneer story for sure! Congratulations! 

Thank you for the compliment, I appreciate it. 

Like # people like this
Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2023

I love the story and the recognition that we are indeed all pioneers in our own right.  We are all navigating through this life looking for answers and in search for opportunity.  

My pioneering has truly been a journey to a promised land but that isn't a physical place, it is a state of mind.  Where I am, who I share it with, what I learn and what I can give back heavily contributes to this land of endless wealth.  The state of happiness can be reached when you live a life true to yourself.  The journey to find it is the most fantastic one anyone can embark on but like the pioneers of the past, it will come with challenges, doubt and hardship but the journey is yours and your happiness is in your hands...

Like # people like this
Dana A July 25, 2023

Love it @Dreamsuite Mike my thoughts exactly. I find joy in the simple things , looking out the window, from the view of an ant, and beyond.  Life is short and enjoy it. 

I heard a talk this morning that really made me think... If we were promised a million dollars in cash today, how would we feel, would anyone be able to get you in a bad mood for a while  ..think for a moment.  If I said I would give you 10 million dollars but you couldn't wake up tomorrow, would you take it? I think everyone would say no right? So what we are saying is life is more important than money. Why are we not feeling this way every time we wake up?  Stop making excuses.  We woke up, how good is your day going to get, we get another chance to make it an awesome day. If we know better, we do better. Make it an awesome day. (Found on FB) or Google it 

Like # people like this
Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2023

My dad traveled from England as a 4 year old with his mother and sister to America. 

On my mother's side her grandfather and grandmother both traveled from Czechoslovakia to America. Grandfather came to Wisconsin and Grandmother to Texas. They both met and settled in Wisconsin.

I met my husband, from Missouri, in California in the Marine Corps. We moved our family to Kansas City, MO upon retirement from Marine Corps.  

Like # people like this
Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2023

@Dana A ~ I love this post.  Thank you for sharing!  If you don't mind me asking, where were those pictures taken?

Like # people like this
Dana A July 25, 2023

Thank you! 

1st picture is in New Mexico - Albuquerque Hot Air Balloon Festival  

2nd Amtrak Train on California Zephyr I think in Denver. I took over 1000 pictures that trip.  

Like # people like this
Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 25, 2023

VERY cool!  I've thought about taking that train trip!  You might have just motivated me to actually do it!  🥰

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events