Miscellaneous Monday - Time Capsule

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2023

TimeCap.png

Did you ever bury a time capsule? During my elementary school years I distinctly remember my 2nd grade class burying a time capsule deep (well likely no more than 2ft) beneath the tulip beds in front of the school. The time capsule contained letters to our future selves, news articles from 1985, small toys and keepsakes that we each contributed, and was locked with the combination hidden away. The idea of a time capsule is to be able to preserve that moment in time and look back years later at the nostalgia of that time in your life. I cannot remember if that time capsule was intended to be recovered and discovered 5, 10, 25 years into the future (all past) or even later. I certainly was not there at the time if it has already been unearthed.

Did you know that the Atlassian Community is a time capsule of sorts too? There are hundreds of thousands of posts that are living in the community. Some of them are a peek into the past. The past of the product, the process, the Community. Many questions are no longer relevant, yet the questions and answers remain. Many products have undergone so many developments and facelifts the articles, discussions and questions from just a few years ago seem to be foreign. The Community itself has evolved, developed and matured and just a look back at some of the posts from a few years ago can seem anachronistic. But they are all our time capsule. A peek into that moment in time, and can still bring inspiration, introspection and interest.

TimeCap2.png

I recently participated in a group volunteer effort led by Community Managers @Monique vdB and @Saralie to re-classify all of the off-topic posts from the INTEREST off-topic to the COMMUNITY GROUP The Watercooler. This required the group to click in to thousands of posts, determine where they belong on the Atlassian Community and relocate them to their appropriate spaces. There was a lot of time capsuling going on!

Looking back, I discovered the following:

• off-topic was really something powered by the Community Manager team in it’s early days. Almost all of the Friday Fun, Miscellaneous Monday and Welcome Wednesday posts way back when were from @Monique vdB and @Bridget Sauer. Shoutout to @Meg Holbrook for really launching Miscellaneous Monday and @AJ Barks - Old Street(in his previous rendition) for keeping it going!  

• The oldest post in The Watercooler is from May 2011
  • The first off-topic tagged post was in April 2017

• 2018 was a watershed year for off-topic, it really took off during that era

• The COVID-19 pandemic was the pivotal moment in off-topic. So many contributors to articles and discussions during the pandemic created a living time capsule of what it was like to live, work and just survive during that period.

With the time capsule theme in mind I wanted to (re)surface some time capsule content I found interesting, engaging, quirky and fun (some all at the same time!) during my tour through the gone but not forgotten off-topic.

Have a Happy Monday, and please…

• Share your favorite blasts from the past in the comments

• Give Kudos to the well deserving authors!

Have a great week ahead!

6 comments

Comment

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2023

Well written discussion @Andy Gladstone I really enjoy reading your Miscellaneous Monday posts.

Like # people like this
Fun Man Andy
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 27, 2023

It was a monumental effort to launch Miscellaneous Monday last year... was kinda successful. Thank you for all your efforts @Andy Gladstone - you were the stand out star!!

🌟 👏

Like # people like this
Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 27, 2023

Keeping a theme going for such a long time is a real achievement. Keep it up.

Personally, I am not someone to go back on past musings. They helped me then, made me who I am today, and are horrible to read with the knowledge I currently have. Sometimes I wonder how I made it this far in life :) 

Like # people like this
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 27, 2023

It's like I wrote that!

Sometimes I go through my old articles thinking, "Hard to read, but it's how you know you are making progress."

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 27, 2023

"Sometimes you need to look back just to know how far you have come"

Like # people like this
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 27, 2023

I am in a genuine nostalgic mood these days, so this topic pulled a string, @Andy Gladstone

There are a few reads that have stayed in my mind throughout the years:

@Jodi LeBlanc article about the magic of tidying up + Trello

@Jimmy Seddon Working Remotely Retro - YES! I remember looking forward to each edition.

I may sound a bit smug, but recently I returned to one of my first articles about our love of food at the office. Love the coziness of my home office, but some days I miss these moments :) 

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 28, 2023

I have both open in my browser for the commute home! Thanks for the recommendations.

Like Summer_Hogan likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 27, 2023

Ok I went down a crazy rabbit hole to pull these out but it was worth it.

First up, I need to send a nod back to @Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_ as this one made me very jealous: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Watercooler-articles/Botron-s-Office-Stories-An-Ancient-Bulgarian-Developers-on-a/ba-p/1102877

Second, someone who used to be a very active article writer and covered a variety of topics, but this one in particular by @Jodi LeBlanc spoke to me: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Training-Certification-articles/Gamification-Boosting-Engagement-and-Motivation/ba-p/1241323

Finally, while out of date now there was an entire series of these and this was from before there was really any certification prep courses in the Atlassian University: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Training-Certification-articles/10-week-study-plan-for-ACP-600-Project-Administration-in-Jira/ba-p/1192433

Thanks for the idea to go back and dig up some gems @Andy Gladstone!

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 28, 2023

Already bookmarked for reading! Thanks for pulling out some oldies but goodies for us! (Kudos given to the authors)

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 28, 2023
Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 28, 2023

Great recommendations @Summer_Hogan! I was familiar with @Thomas Schlegel's work, but the @Meg Holbrook post was a new one for me! 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events