cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Miscellaneous Monday - Remembering Memorial Day

Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2023

In the United States, the last Monday in May is set aside to remember those who have died while in service of one of the branches of the armed forces of the United States. It has its roots in Decoration Day, a holiday to commemorate those that have died during the Civil War by decorating their graves.

While other countries recognize their war dead on Remembrance Day, set for the 11th day of November, after World War I, the US has dedicated that day for honoring all those who have served in their armed forces as Veterans Day.

memorial day.jpg

A place to truly commemorate Memorial Day is one of the 164 national military cemeteries in the United States National Cemetery System throughout the 50 states and territories of the United States. This system of military cemeteries is maintained by the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Penny For Your Thoughts

When visiting a national cemetery. You may come across coins on a fallen soldier’s headstone. This is a tradition that harkens back to ancient Roman times where coins were paid to Charon for passage through the river Styx. In the aftermath of the Vietnam War, veterans would leave coins to pay their respects and letting the deceased soldier’s family know of the visit.

The denomination of the coin carries special meaning. The coins and their meaning follow:

• penny: Soldier has visited a fallen soldier

• nickel: The soldier and the fallen soldier went to boot camp together

• dime: The soldier and the fallen soldier served together

• quarter: the soldier was present when the fallen soldier died

For those in the United States that won't be working this Monday, please spare a thought to those that paid the ultimate sacrifice.

10 comments

Comment

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2023

I didn't know about the coins. Thank you for sharing that.

Like # people like this
Haoyang Lu May 28, 2023

Sacrificed 5000 miles away from his homeland.

Well, RIP.

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 28, 2023

Wow, thank you for sharing! I never knew the significance of the coins. Happy Memorial Day - hope everyone can take a moment to reflect on this holiday (if in the US.)

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 29, 2023

Thank you @Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_!  This was a great Misc. Monday post.

To all of my friends to the south I hope you enjoy the day today.

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 29, 2023

@Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_ thank you for this post. It got me to go search the national archives for family members, and made my Memorial Day much more meaningful and memorable. I hope we can all honor the memories of those that fought for freedom and justice by using those rights in a positive way.

Like # people like this
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 29, 2023

Ever since my son was a Cub Scout, we'd go to the National Cemetery in Arizona (about 5 minutes from where we live) on the Saturday before Memorial Day and help plant flags on the graves.  It helps us understand the significance of the holiday and brings comfort to the families.

Like # people like this
Summer.Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2023

My grandparents are buried at the National Cemetery in Arizona so I visit there quite often too @Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_ . I love walking around and paying my respects to all the fallen soldiers.

Like # people like this
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2023

Thanks for a great post, @Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_

This past Saturday my son's BSA troop placed flags at our local cemetery which has several areas designated for veterans, and then they fanned out trying to find individual gravesites (via a map). Lots of cub scouts from our partner pack too.

Like # people like this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2023

A well thought out and informative article.  Thank you.

Like # people like this
Summer.Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2023

Love this post @Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_! I know about the coins from the Healing Fields at Tempe Town Lake, which is a remembrance that is done for 9/11. I always take my pennies and lay them on the soldiers boots signifying I visited! It's such a special experience! 

911.jpg

Like # people like this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2023

I have been fortunate to visit the Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington National Cemetery.  Deeply touching ceremony full of great respect and honor for those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.  Cannot recommend seeing this enough - the video linked below doesn't do the ceremony any justice.

Changing of the Guard at Arlington National Cemetery 

tomb-unknown-soldier.jpeg

Like # people like this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2023

I was privileged to see that also many years ago. It is very moving. 

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 31, 2023

We saw this ceremony in February. Very moving - I think the in-person experience is so much more moving since it's likely the quietest the children watching have been for an extended period of time.

Like LarryBrock likes this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 31, 2023

I love how even those who don't typically behave appropriately (adult, teen, or child) pick up on the tone of the ceremony and stay quiet and respectful. 

I watched an elderly gentleman stand up out of his wheelchair even though he shouldn't have and refused to sit down.  At a few minutes in, he started to falter and two younger men (maybe family?) put his arms over their shoulders and held him up for the remainder.  It looked like he would have fallen to the ground rather than sit - such respect for the place and what it represents!

Like # people like this
Summer.Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2023

I saw this ceremony on a trip to DC two times now. It is so very emotional and moving! It is so quiet you can hear a pin drop! 

Like # people like this
Manoj Gangwar
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 19, 2023

Thank you so much for sharing!! It looks amazing

Like Amanda Barber likes this
FarerXp
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 27, 2023

I think it's essential to remember those who've served and made the ultimate sacrifice. The tradition of leaving coins on fallen soldiers' headstones is a touching way to pay respect and communicate with their families.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events