Miscellaneous Monday - Most recent Museum visited?

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2023

It is Monday, let us all rejoice!

This weekend my wife and I took our five children to the Spyscape Museum in NYC. The two of us had been there in 2020 (remember that dumpster fire?) and always wanted our kids to experience it. The magical confluence of Passover, Easter and Ramadan meant that the museum were open and the lines were short.

If you have never been to a Spyscape, you have to add it to your list of places to visit when in NYC (unless there is one in a city closer to you). It's an immersive experience all about the history and art of spycraft, espionage, deception, code-cracking and hacking that leads you through both mental and physical challenges to determine where your fit would be in the Intelligence (or Counter-intelligence) operations field.

Turing.jpgIMG_8066.jpg

As you finish the tour you are presented your Spy role with a summary of all of your scores. Seeing how each of my children (and my wife) matched up was both eye-opening and re-affirming!

My role, should I choose to accept it, would be:

Capture.JPG

Don't worry, I won't be following anyone around at Team '23 (or maybe that's what a spy would say...)

Your Mission should you Choose to Accept It:

Monday in NYC most of the Museums are closed. So fill the gap by sharing a recent museum experience you enjoyed in the thread below. Let us know what your recommendations are so we can add them to our itineraries when visiting the cities you experienced them in.

Have a great week!

Edit: Here is a Trello Board that tracks all of the locations mentioned in the comments. Click on Map View to see the geographic dispersion of the recommendations.

12 comments

Comment

Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2023

I had been to HAL Heritage Centre and Aerospace Museum in Bangalore few month back. 

There are two major halls, one displaying the photographs that chart the growth of aviation in each decade from 1940 till date and a Hall of Fame that takes the visitors on an exciting journey through the Heritage of Aerospace & Aviation Industry in India.

The second Hall highlights the various functions of an Aero Engine by displaying motorized cross sections of various models of Aero Engines.

Outdoor display of Aircraft such as MARUT, MIG-21, HT-2, KIRAN, CANBERRA, AJEET, LAKSHYA (Pilotless Target Aircraft) & many more, will excite aerospace lovers of all ages - kids, students and adults.

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 10, 2023

Amazing. Thanks for sharing this landmark. Putting a pin on the map for future exploration. 

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 10, 2023

Hey @Andy Gladstone !

Nice topic and such a cool picture of the Turing machine! It makes me want to watch again the Imitation game! :)

Boy... last time I went to a museum was 4-5 years ago, before the birth of our child. Back then I had a lot of spare time. If I recall correct was the Museum of Natural History in London with the big tyrannosaurus rex!

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 10, 2023

Certainly one I would have on my list if I ever get to London with enough time to explore!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 10, 2023

Three in one day:

I'm not sure it counts as a museum, but the replica of the Endeavour (captain Cook's ship) was the last one we visited.  We also ambled through the Cook Memorial Museum before getting on the ship, and visited the ruined abbey above the beach that Dracula landed on.

Planning to go to http://panaceamuseum.org soon - we tried to visit in 2020, but it had closed as a Covid precaution (the UK's first lockdown started the week after we tried)

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 10, 2023

Pretty ironic that you could not get to the Panacea Museum due to a global pandemic. You may have just found the cure. 

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 10, 2023

Hmm, might be a change of plan - we're just discussing a trip to Ikea, which we don't like doing because it's far enough away that you feel like you want to get something else out of the trip.

Like going back to TNMOC and Bletchley Park next door to it...

This is of course, an attempt to get the pins on the map for them.  They're both fascinating for computer geeks, and I'd recommend them to anyone with even a passing interest.   

Bletchley is about the cryptography work during WW2 that led to the first digital electronic computer being built, and TNMOC is all about the history of computers and computing, including a working replica of that Colossus.

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
April 10, 2023

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- hahaa I took my daughter to Ikea yesterday. But I have plans for a week in England this summer so I'll put these on my list!

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 10, 2023

Sorry, not adding Ikeas in UK and California to the Trello Map!

Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 10, 2023

During our recent family trip to Washington, DC, we visited so many museums. My favorites were the National Portrait Gallery, the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, and the National Air and Space museum. It was really neat to see the presidential portraits in person. We visited over Presidents' Day weekend, so the children's area had some fun activities too!

PXL_20230219_185425032.jpg

We have some wonderful museums here in Milwaukee, WI, but I loved that the museums in DC were free and so accessible to everyone!

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 10, 2023

@Amanda Barber it's a sin that I live in NY and have never taken my children for an extended trip and discovery of our capitol. I must plan an itinerary and finally get it done. I think what has held us back is that the only time we really have for such a trip is in the summer, and DC in the summer is a hot and humid mess.

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 10, 2023

Yes, you certainly need to get there with them! I hadn't been there in 20 years. We really just had some airfare credit to use and I picked a place we could fly to direct and not need a car while we were there. It was a perfect long weekend trip and the weather was absolutely amazing. We were fortunate to get a peek of some of the cherry blossoms, too - although certainly not the full bloom like the last 2 weeks. 

I was just looking at the 2024 eclipse path and thinking that maybe New York needs to be on our list for next year. ;) 

Like # people like this
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 12, 2023

I love the National Portrait Gallery too! the Smithsonians are a treasure

Like Amanda Barber likes this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 12, 2023

They sure are, @carolyn french 💜

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
April 10, 2023

The last museum we went to is James Cameron's private museum at Lightstorm Studio (my sister works there). 

All the Titanic memorabilia (the car, the scale model of the ship, the scale model of the sunken ship, the necklace, the Oscar...) was my favorite, but there was also stuff from the Terminator franchise, the Abyss, and of course Avatar.  An incredibly special experience!

Screen Shot 2023-04-10 at 1.06.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-10 at 1.07.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-10 at 1.07.43 PM.png

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 10, 2023

Oh wow, love these photos!!

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 10, 2023

Now we know how Atlassian scored Cameron for Team '23! Looks like a pretty cool place to spend some time.

Like # people like this
Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 10, 2023

Great topic, @Andy Gladstone !

It was the Icelandic National Museum, last summer when we were there. Interesting to see old artifacts and how people had to make everything themselves - such a hard, rough life.

Tip: a ticket is valid for a whole year so you can come back another day (or visit Iceland again within a year!).

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 10, 2023

Thanks for the rec, @Kristján Geir Mathiesen. As I mentioned in the past, Iceland is on the bucket list, so this is now bookmarked!

Like # people like this
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 12, 2023

About a month ago I went to the latest exhibit in the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts/Musée des beaux-arts de Montréal on A History of Women in Design

Here were a few of the beautiful pieces on display.

This year, I bought a museum membership, and it's more than paid for itself by how many times I've gone to see special exhibits, special events, and also taken visitors there.

It's a great museum if you ever come to Montreal and appreciate art!

PXL_20230316_001328614.jpgPXL_20230316_001856712.jpg

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2023

@carolyn french thanks for the reply and reccomendation, I added it to the Trello list.

It's on my Montreal list already. Whenever I am in my Montreal office (which always seems to be in the winter - hope you survived the ice storm last week!) I stay at the Omni Hotel right up the street. Each visit I check off one 'cultural' experience. Last time I was there - in November - it was a Habs game at Bell Centre!

Like carolyn french likes this
Markku Miettunen April 14, 2023

I visited with my family the Finnish Aviation Museum to celebrate my birthday. In addition to the large collection of decommissioned airplanes and related stuff, you can try a real flight simulator with a trainer - we chose Airbus A330. Great fun :)

Here is one sample of the exhibition:

Capture.PNG

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 14, 2023

Sounds really cool! Reminds me of some of the experiences at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum in NYC.

Çiğdem Büyükaşik
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 26, 2023

Hi, @Markku Miettunen, great tip for me, as I've been meaning to visit that and keep forgetting. I'll try and visit the Finnish Aviation Museum some time in May. I've been visiting the Lasten Kaupunki recently, not as cool after many times with kids :)

Like # people like this
Graham Twine
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2023

I was forever in the Museums around Glasgow, not done it for a while. :(

Prabhu Palanisamy _Onward_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 23, 2023

Newsuem in Washington DC is one of a kind.

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 3, 2023

Sadly this one looks like it was permanently closed. :-(

Kai Becker
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2023

Van Gogh Alive an interactive Van Gogh exhibition 

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 3, 2023

Cool! I added it to the Trello Board.

Like Amanda Barber likes this
Markus Fredén
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2023

The Vasa Museum!

2bd04fd970174d93933b77268279dd5a.width-1280.jpg

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 5, 2023

Wow! Amazing. Added to the Trello Board.

Like Markus Fredén likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events