Miscellaneous Monday: May Day is Lei Day!

Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2023

Hi everyone, 

Did you know that there are two holidays today? Today is May Day and Lei Day. Let’s start with May Day. May Day has numerous meanings. In Europe it is called Workers’ Day and it commemorates the struggles and gains made by workers and the labour movement. In the United States it is a day to celebrate the beginning of Summer (not me, the season 😊). And in Hawaii it is Lei Day, where they say, “May Day is Lei Day.” Lei Day is a statewide celebration of Hawaiian tradition and flowers. Each Hawaiian Island has a different type of flower lei for its people to wear in the celebration and there are numerous festivities islanders and tourists can partake in.

So, show us your shaka’s and share with us what holiday you will be celebrating today and what you will do to celebrate!

20 comments

Comment

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2023

Thanks for sharing Summer! I was aware of, but had forgotten about it being May Day, and I have to be honest I’ve never heard of Lei Day. Regardless, I don’t expect either to change what I will do today. It will be pretty much like any other Monday for me. Although I will have friends coming in from Austin later in the week and will be preparing for their visit, so that is something I have to look forward to. 

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 1, 2023

I hope you have a great time with your friends @Jack Brickey!

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 1, 2023

Happy May Day!  (or is it Lei day?)

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 1, 2023

It's both! 

Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 1, 2023

Now I know when I need to visit Hawaii!  :D
That sounds like a lot of fun.

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 1, 2023

@Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_ I totally recommend a visit to Hawaii! I absolutely love Hawaii and there are so many things you can do there. I especially love the blue water! 

Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 1, 2023

Thank you for the insight on Lei Day.  I celebrated May Day as a child in elementary school. I need to celebrate today with planting some flowers.

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 1, 2023

Love that idea @Marjorie!

Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 1, 2023

I can't wait to visit Hawaii some day! It's definitely not feeling like the beginning of summer here in Wisconsin today - a bit of snow this morning and it feels like about 30 degrees F. 😅 Not celebrating in any way, but I did remember to wish my team a Happy May Day on standup! 🌸

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 1, 2023

A visit to Hawaii is a must for sure @Amanda Barber! My sister used to live in Wisconsin and said she felt like the winter never ends! 

Like Amanda Barber likes this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 1, 2023

I definitely agree with her. We tend to get little glimpses of spring here and there and then - BAM! - it's summer. It was in the 80s a couple of weeks ago, but then it dipped back down quite drastically. 

Like Summer_Hogan likes this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 1, 2023

Wow, May day, Lei day, and my brother's birthday - triple threat!  =^)

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 1, 2023

So funny @LarryBrock - it's my brothers birthday today too! 

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 1, 2023

Not celebrating either. However the mention of the shaka sign (which looks like a "call me" sign) reminded me of a hilarious video put out by Orica Greenedge Cycling Team in 2013 as a spoof on Call Me Maybe. During the Vuelta A Espana that year one of their team members took the polka dot leaders jersey and did the sign from the podium!

They're an Australian based cycling team and I loved watching them compete. Maybe there is some sort of Australian bias in my blood with this whole Atlassian love affair...

Anyway, @Summer_Hogan thanks for sparking that memory. I watched the video again today and just as funny for me now as 10 years ago. And yes, I will call you soon... maybe.

Shaka.JPG

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 1, 2023

That video and your comment made my day @Andy Gladstone! So funny! 

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 1, 2023

Many of my friends and associates have off in Europe today!

Though I hear some folks are being paid overtime/doubletime to work today. 🤣

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 1, 2023

That's awesome! I wish we had a day off in the US today!

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 2, 2023

Same! I guess we've got Labor Day! 🙃

Allie
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 1, 2023

Super interesting. I was only familiar with the workers-rights connection. Thanks for the intel!

Like # people like this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 1, 2023

May Day will now forever be Lei Day, the day I celebrate the contribution of @Summer_Hogan to this wonderful community! 🌼🌸🌺🌻

Apart from that, I spent the extra long weekend (PTO last Friday and Labour Day in Belgium on Monday) at a concert of dark rock band Mono Inc. in Cologne, Germany and a city trip to the Dutch cities Delft and Den Haag.

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 4, 2023

Aww, thanks @Dave Mathijs! That sounds like a great weekend you had! 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 2, 2023

Now that I work for a French company, it was my first day of work there and May Day all at the same time! Lei Day was new to me, also. But I love the flowers and the gift of leis when visiting the islands. 

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 4, 2023

Me too @John Funk! I also love all the flowers in Hawaii! I typically have a whole folder full of pics of just plants, trees, and flowers after a trip. 

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 2, 2023

Great post @Summer_Hogan!  This is definitely in the spirit of Misc. Monday!  Sharing facts we may otherwise not have been aware of.

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 2, 2023

Thanks @Jimmy Seddon

Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 2, 2023

I love these pieces of holidays here and there, mostly because I adopted the habit of working while everyone is off and then being off when... yeah when everyone is working 😅

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 2, 2023

Not a bad approach @Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_; that way you can go do things without all the crowds on the holidays! 

Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 2, 2023

I'm just glad most of the snow has finally melted and the grass is greening up.  So I guess I'm all for the beginning of summer.

Like # people like this
Krimo Khermane
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 4, 2023

@Summer_Hogan thanks for sharing I learned something new today. When I read the first lines of your blog – I had flashbacks to the 90's & 00's and the mega Techno festival "Mayday" This was super famous in Germany, Polen, Hungary, and Russia. Holidays and music - are a great fit.

Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 4, 2023

Totally true @Krimo Khermane - I'm glad you had happy flashbacks! Mayday sounds amazing!

Markku Miettunen May 4, 2023

We are having today a corporate-wide Feels Like Summer festival - even though the temperature is now +3 °C here in Helsinki :)

Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 5, 2023

That's awesome @Markku Miettunen! I hope it was fun! 

Graham Twine
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 21, 2023

May day, yes first day of summer for a very long time. Now the fist cold days of winter.

My birthday month woo hoo.

Wait I stopped having birthdays. AM am just fine with this age :D

Manoj Gangwar
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 19, 2023

IMG-20230225-WA0000.jpegloard shiva day

Prabhu Palanisamy _Onward_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 23, 2023

Good to know about Lei day.

Kai Becker
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2023

Haven't heard about Lei day before, nice to know :)

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events