Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Miscellaneous Monday - Let's brainstorm more holidays!

Dániel Ballabás - EverIT
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 20, 2024

Happy Monday Folks!

12 comments

Comment

Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2024

Some companies do Summer Fridays, where every Friday is a half-day or off. I think that would be amazing to have for everyone. ☀️

I second your October 10th - World Mental Health Day. I think there could be some benefit to having a day to focus on your own mental health, or someone you love. Granted, for people living with mental illness, this is an every day occurrence. 

I'd love a day to spend giving back to the community. Here in the US, that's often what Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is used for, but now many people don't have off for that holiday anymore.

Thanks for this fun topic!

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2024

+1 for Summer Friday's becoming a national holiday for 12 weeks a year!

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2024

I totally second this one! "Summer Friday's for Summer in Summer" sounds awesome! 

Like # people like this
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2024

You forgot March 14, a.k.a "Pi day"!

A day to celebrate all things circular! (and maybe eat a pie in the process).

I close with the question: is a cheesecake really a pie?

Like # people like this
Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2024

You're opening a can of worms @Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_ , cheesecake imo is a pie but I second having pi day be an official holiday!

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2024

@Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_ that reminds me of this news I saw recently: https://www.inc.com/bruce-crumley/a-judge-ruled-that-tacos-are-sandwiches-heres-why-thats-important-for-food-entrepreneurs.html 

If a taco can be a sandwich, I think cheesecake can be a pie! :-D 

Like # people like this
Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2024

We have this debate at work off and on, but @Amanda Barber since you've opened the door a bit wider current arguments at work are:

• Hot Dogs are also sandwiches
  • Cereal is soup

Gotta keep life interesting huh

Like # people like this
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2024

@Sam Nadarajan and @Amanda Barber : Now you see the REALLY popular feature of The Jira Life!

Like # people like this
Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2024

I would not say no to a Star Wars Day (May 4). Pre-Covid our company threw an in person party, but the ironic thing is that they played Star Wars on the TVs all day, but it's not like you could go and watch them in there all day (unless it was your last day).

I do miss the blue ice cream and the chocolate dipped pretzel lightsabers and the wookie cookies (teddy grahams) haha.

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2024

I love Star Wars day so I would be all for this one too @Sam Nadarajan!

Like # people like this
Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2024

What would I add to my country's holiday calendar?  THE DAY AFTER THANKSGIVING!!!

Like # people like this
Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2024

I've taken this day for granted as long as I've known the day after Thanksgiving is off for us but I understand that's regional AND also depends on the role/industry you're in.

But seriously, who will be getting much work done with a Turkey Coma?

Like # people like this
Charlene Freeman June 7, 2024

My company allows FTE's to have Thanksgiving Day and the Day after off as a paid holiday, and I love it!

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Theresa McFarlane May 20, 2024

I know we just celebrated International PMO Day. I would love it if there was a International Agile Day.

Maybe Atlassian could help me sponsor it as a US recognized holiday ;)

Like # people like this
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2024

Do you remember the days in February the Agile Manifesto was created at Snowbird, Utah?  One of those days should work!

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2024

This is such an engaging topic @Dániel Ballabás - EverIT! I think there should be an international day of teamwork where teams of people go do fun activities to celebrate the day! I bet @Mark Cruth would love this day! 

Like # people like this
Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2024

Is Atlassian large enough to make this happen?!?! B/c I'm right there with you!

Like # people like this
Mark Cruth
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 20, 2024

Thanks a FANTASTIC idea! We should try to do that!!!

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2024

In the United States the 4th Thursday in April is Brig Your Child to Work Day. My previous company had some pretty good programming for all of the employee's children on that day - and it was memorable.

I'd like to see a Bring Your Parent to School Day. We get Parent Teacher Conferences, but our kids are not there and its not the natural functioning of the classroom. I'd love to show my children how important their education is to me by being a guest in their classrooms for a day!

Like # people like this
Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2024

I sense a few rounds of "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?" almost guaranteed if this idea happens - I'm ready for it (I think).

Like # people like this
Alex G May 21, 2024

I think a Digital Detox Day would be nice. A holiday designed to encourage individuals to take a break from their screens and engage in activities that promote mental well-being, creativity, and physical health. 

Like # people like this
ABR June 14, 2024

@Alex G This should immediately be declared an international holiday! So needed!

Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2024

You've made me miss the days when I worked for a bank and, so, got all of the bank holidays off. I was, however, a contractor, so I didn't get paid… I still enjoyed the days off, though.

So, other than getting all of the existing holidays off 😀, I think we need an international No Bad New Day, where television, radio, and internet news sites report on only good things happening in the world.

Like # people like this
ABR June 14, 2024

@Barbara Szczesniak what a great idea! Just love it!

Like Barbara Szczesniak likes this
Rebekka Heilmann _viadee_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 21, 2024

Women's Day is actually only a holiday in Berlin - unfortunately. There are lots of local differences in public holidays between the states here in Germany.

In lack of information of the official Founding Date of Atlassian/Jira, we could hop onto the existing

Godzilla Day on Nov 3rd - and call it Gojira Day?

For anyone who never knew Godzilla had something to do with Atlassian. Jira is derived from the Japanese word for Godzilla -> Gojira 

Like # people like this
ABR June 14, 2024

@Rebekka Heilmann _viadee_ Seriously?!! Wow!

Vronik
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 28, 2024

Hi

I would add the person's birthday so they can be with their family

December 2, which was originally the day that slavery was abolished, although in many countries it is not observed.

At the moment these two come to mind

Like # people like this
ABR June 14, 2024

I would like to see Harry Potter's birthday 31st July celebrated as a holiday, named “International Day of Literary Wizardry”! In a rapidly hopeless joyless world, the World of Harry and Hogwarts burns like the sole torch of Magic, strength of character, and Hope! Yet it is not simplistic escapism that it celebrates, because Rowling in the last two dark volumes of her seven-part books shows us the horror of war, societal upheaval, and personal sacrifice! Inspiring stuff, right?
But even without considering the ideological example setting, "Pottermania" was largely responsible for the "return to reading" phenomenon worldwide, especially for children! And just that needs to be celebrated as much as possible!
Sorry if I come across as too serious in a light-hearted discussion! smiley.jfif

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events