cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Miscellaneous Monday - Keep Calm and Carry On

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2023

I was recently looking into the origins of the ubiquitous 'Keep Calm and Carry On' posters, t-shirts, GIFs and memes that have been floating around for the past two decades. Of course my research brought me to Wikipedia

Keep-calm-and-carry-on-scan.jpg

Keep Calm and Carry On was a motivational poster produced by the Government of the United Kingdom in 1939 in preparation for World War II. The poster was intended to raise the morale of the British public, threatened with widely predicted mass air attacks on major cities.

Although 2.45 million copies were printed, and the Blitz did in fact take place, the poster was only rarely publicly displayed and was little known until a copy was rediscovered in 2000 at Barter Books, a bookshop in Alnwick.

However, it took the rediscovery of this poster to launch  the 2nd 'Keep Calm and ________' parodies that have prevailed over the past 20+ years. 

What is the funniest or most unique usage of the artform that you have seen or created yourself? Share an image or description in the comments.

Have a great week ahead!

10 comments

Comment

Michael Wheatstone October 16, 2023

as a lover of all things Zombie, this is my personal favourite

Keep Calm.PNG

Like # people like this
Ankush Bora January 22, 2024

Love this. A 'Walking Dead' fan here!

George Pomar October 16, 2023

My grandmother was working in a factory in Birmingham making canteens during WWII.  She had a lot of stories, unfortunately, few were good due to circumstances.  She met my grandfather, got married, had my dad, and lived in England until my dad was around 9.  They were then eligible to come stay in the USA and become citizens.  

Though it had absolutely nothing to do with the original saying, there's a website that has revived the Keep Calm signage into Keep Calm and Chive On.  to 'chive on' is close to the same original message, flow through life.  Keep an eye out and you might see people wearing their very noticeable green shirts!

kcco.jpg

Like # people like this
Michael Karl October 16, 2023

@Andy Gladstone Splendid topic! My favourite as a tekkie is "Keep calm and set sce to aux." I had to google it when I saw an ad for a T-Shirt which also had a picture of a Saturn 5 rocket. It refers to the launch of Apollo 12.

Shortly after lift-off, the Saturn 5 / Apollo - combo was hit twice by lightning strike. Lots of warning lights came on, lots of electrical systems failed, including all data telemetry to ground control. By the time, aborting the mission was very likely. Then a young flight controller named John Aaron remembered a simlular situation from a simulation and stated "Try set SCE to AUX". By doing so, the Signal Conditioning Electronics was fed by aux power which was still functional. Telemetry came back on, ground control was able to analyze the situation and helped restoring main power.

Apollo 12 successfully landed on the moon and all three crew members returned safely and thereby left it to Apollo 13 to fail. I think that this is quite a nifty story, unknown to me prior to finding that ad for the T-Shirt.

sce_to_aux.png

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 16, 2023

Wow! That itself would be an amazing Miscellaneous Monday topic! Thanks for sharing.

Like # people like this
Dam
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 16, 2023

🎣 🎣 🎣

keep-calm-go-fishing-tshirt-black.jpg.5e5c8835c5e6d1606f3a95c30c3facc9.jpg

Like # people like this
Dominika Kuraś-Moskwa _Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 17, 2023

Once I bought w a gift card for my bestfriends' bday with KEEP CALM AND CARRIE ON on it (yk Carrie Bradshaw from a Sex and the City). 

Nice wordplay and perf gift for SATC fan :) 

Like # people like this
Michael Karl October 17, 2023

Nice one. That Carrie Bradshaw is the main character of the show, Sarah-Jessica Parker's role - right?

Like # people like this
Dominika Kuraś-Moskwa _Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 17, 2023

@Michael Karl that's right! 

Like Summer.Hogan likes this
Summer.Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 31, 2023

I have been trying to be more positive on a daily basis so this one came to mind. I've purged some pretty negative people from my life recently. I just don't have time to deal with people who don't want to be part of my life or want to be negative all the time. I'm sticking with the positive peeps in my life! 
Keep calm.jpg

Like # people like this
Mohamed Riza _ServiceRocket_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2023

Very interesting! Keep Calm and Keep finding interesting facts! 

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Marc Koppelaar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2023

To be an old school guy, who watched al lot of Chuck Norris.

He could solve everything.

And loved all the Chuck Norris memes. I even remember that there was a special website for it.

So;

,514e0ba0992f5cc9707b66b3939f5ee1.jpg

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 22, 2023

I love the Carry On Wayward Son meme. So true. But you also need to say it with the microphone warble effect. Kansas. Classic.

Like Gabriela Koleva likes this
Gabriela Koleva November 22, 2023

Hahaha agreed. This was honestly the first thing that popped into my head when I saw your title so I just had to share the love :D

Josh Shepherd
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 9, 2024

If you are attending Atlassian Team '24, how about "Keep Calm and Bash" ...perhaps we should get shirts made...

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events