Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Miscellaneous Monday - History of Black Friday and Cyber Monday (Part 2)

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 27, 2023

As I was researching the origins of Cyber Monday I came across the image below. I didn't think I could do a better job of expressing the day or it's impact, so today you get mainly an image instead of my normal verbosity. 

Cyber Monday.jpeg

I'm posting at the end of the business day on the East Coast of the US to prompt you with these two questions:

Did you shop online today and properly celebrate Cyber Monday?

If so, any deals you would like to share with the rest of the Community?

Thanksgiving in the US is over, so all of the holiday decorations are going up. I hope everyone has gotten a jumpstart on their gifting!

Have a great week ahead. 

7 comments

Comment

Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 27, 2023

Seems most of the online deals started last week. I did a fair amount of Christmas shopping over the weekend and double-checked that prices didn't improve today. Looked to all be the same!

Does anyone score any hot items on their kids' lists? My kids have outgrown the hot toys ages, but I did get a good deal on a remote-control truck for my 9yo and some fun toys for my 10 month old nephew. 

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 27, 2023

I wish my kids would just make up their minds about what they want. Was much easier when they were smaller and less opinionated. I just wind up giving my older boys cash since they don't want socks or underwear - which I offer them every year - but won't tell me what they really want. They usually take the money and buy clothing I would never spend that much money on, but hey, it's what floats their boat. 

Like # people like this
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 27, 2023
Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 27, 2023

I'm holding out for the Jiramigo sombrero! 

Like Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_ likes this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 27, 2023

Just kidding. Of course I will support a fellow #AtlassianCreator and bought a shirt. I hope to still fit in a Large as the winter months wear on and my life becomes more sedentary!

Like Summer.Hogan likes this
Robert Wen_ReleaseTEAM_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 27, 2023

I think the JirAmigo sombreros will have to wait until Alex and I meet after Christmas and go sombrero shopping.

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Gabriela Koleva December 4, 2023

Oh wow I didn't even realize that Cyber Monday was the Monday after Thanksgiving. It is interesting and funny to see how this has become so much more than just "another named shopping holiday in the US".

Unfortunately I got sick in that weekend so I completely forgot to buy the upgrades I wanted for my PC. Ended up getting the RAM upgrade and an extra SSD later on after I recovered. 

Interestingly though, I did hear from friends that the prices didn't change at all between Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Even more bizarre, I saw some viral TikToks from people showing that in some stores, the "Black Friday" specials were exactly the same as regular discounts. No change at all outside of the "Black Friday sale" label instead of a regular "on sale" label. I swear the more time passes by, the less special this "Sale holiday" becomes which is kind of sad.

Like # people like this
Summer.Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 5, 2023

Sorry I'm late to post on this, but yes I did shop on Cyber Monday and I did find some deals on Amazon for gifts for my nieces and nephews. I also found and purchased a Southwest Airlines gift card in the amount of $500 for only $400 at Sam's Club. Great deal! I heard Costco had a similar deal on Delta. 

Like # people like this
Shawn Doyle - ReleaseTEAM
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 11, 2023

My favorite store is still doing black Friday sales.  https://www.harborfreight.com/

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Ankush Bora January 22, 2024

That is interesting. Never knew about all that!

Aswin Raj D
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 5, 2024

Wow Interesting! 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events