cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Miscellaneous Monday - Celebrating World Environment Day

Andrew Zimmerman _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2023

Happy Monday! June 5th is World Environment Day, a day for people around the globe to come together and raise awareness about the importance of protecting the environment and taking action to create a more sustainable world.

World Environment Day was first celebrated in 1973 and has been led by the United Nations Environment Programme since then. The theme for 2023 is #BeatPlasticPollution, focusing on solutions to the plastic polluting our planet. Through small shifts in our daily habits, we can make a big difference over the course of our lives!

giphy

To celebrate World Environment Day this Monday, let’s share any/all of the following:

• A small habit shift you’ve recently made or plan to make this month to protect the environment or live more sustainably.
  • A tip or trick you’d like to share that anyone can easily adopt to help protect the environment or live more sustainably.
  • A photo of you taking part in an activity that protects the environment.

For me personally, I’ve switched my primary laundry detergent away from the liquid kind that uses giant plastic jugs as containers. Instead, I’ve found some options that use all cardboard packaging and also take up a fraction of the space, so they can be more easily transported as well.

How about you?

Thanks for participating, and thanks for sharing this beautiful planet with me! Have a great week.

14 comments

Comment

Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 5, 2023

This year is the 50th year since this all started.  30 years ago when it was 20 our family noticed so much not happening. 
The theme back then had more to do with what was happening to our food supply.  Vegetarianism arrived in house.  That didn't last long.  :) BBQ
My kids and I wanted to help.  We meaning myself and my kids started back then (early 90's) a recycling program that soon swept the entire neighborhood.  Within 2 years we had city support and giant recycle bins were placed in most apartment building back lots.  
Today in our disposable world, we still practice reduce, reuse, recycle on the daily.  However we take that a bit further to include companies that practice better environment management in their manufacturing processes.

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2023

@Craig Nodwell that's amazing that you've made recycling into a family activity! Love that! Thank you for sharing :).

Like # people like this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2023

Pleased to say it's gone generational.  My children have passed these behaviors down to the grandchildren.  They're all teenage 20 somethings now, they know it's their future I hope when they start having children it continues.

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2023

That's incredible! Way to go. :)

Like Randy O_Neal likes this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2023

We drink A LOT of bottled water in the house. While the plastic bottles are 90% recycled materials and are headed back into the recycle bin, it's still leaving a negative footprint on the environment. My daughter and I each started to use a re-usable water bottle each day and will be tracking the use over the summer to see how many plastic disposable/recyclable bottles we have cut out of circulation. 

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2023

Love that you're doing this together. Finding a favorite water bottle is key to surviving this change, IMO! Plus, fun stickers...

Like # people like this
Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2023

This is a great start and I think those small steps can inspire further action in the future...At the very least it helps you to ask the questions.

Having stayed in many places where clean drinking water is scarce, I have a renewed appreciation of how lucky we in the UK are for the excellent quality drinking water we get to directly to our homes..,  However, if I hadn't visited places where this was an issue, I would most likely be either ignorant to it or wouldn't give it much thought.  

I would like to see big companies (some already do) ban single use plastics.

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2023

@Andy Gladstone awesome! I'd be so interested in hearing your final numbers after a whole summer of using reusable bottles instead of single use plastic ones. Perfect example of a small step that can make a huge difference over time.

Thank you for sharing.

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2023

Great practice @Andy Gladstone! I've been doing the same thing! 

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2023

Great post, @Andrew Zimmerman _Appfire_ - 

This also fits well with the upcoming Ocean Devotion badge, too! While I'm nowhere near an ocean, Lake Michigan could use some love. Most of our local clean-ups happen on/around Earth Day, but I plan to bring a bag to collect garbage with my kiddos on our next neighborhood walk. We always try to leave places (beaches/campsites) cleaner than when we arrived. 

A small shift for us was purchasing a soda stream - probably more cost-saving than earth-saving sadly, but I do love not having lots of cans from my sparkling water addiction. Plus, my kiddos love having homemade root beer floats.

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2023

@Amanda Barber love it! And thanks for mentioning the Ocean Devotion badge. Awesome initiative. I love the idea of a Lake Michigan cleanup too (maybe a Milwaukee ACE outing?) 

Thank you for making a difference and for sharing!

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2023

Love that idea!

Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2023

To celebrate World Environment Day this Monday, let’s share any/all of the following:

• A small habit shift you’ve recently made or plan to make this month to protect the environment or live more sustainably.

This is a small mindset shift which can have huge effects.  Consciously choose the more difficult option...
    All animals (humans aren't in any way special) are biologically designed to to conserve energy and will aim to survive with the minimum amount of effort.  
    I have started to challenge that and have found that not only does it make a big difference to the environment, it saves me money, keeps me healthier and give me a greater sense of purpose...

Some examples:
    • Instead of driving a few miles, cycle, walk or run
    • Instead of shopping in supermarkets for convenience, cycle to local shop that stock local produce and choose seasonal
    • Make not buy....

• A tip or trick you’d like to share that anyone can easily adopt to help protect the environment or live more sustainably.
    We all over consume and we often do it not because we really want that particular thing.  A technique called surfing the urge can stop you getting things you don't want (if you don't really need or want it, it is waste)
    https://www.dartmouth-hitchcock.org/sites/default/files/2021-03/urge-surfing.pdf 
  • A photo of you taking part in an activity that protects the environment.

Volunteering at a Turtle conservation site in Costa Rica, building the hatchery:
    WhatsApp Image 2023-06-05 at 14.41.19.jpg
Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2023

@Dreamsuite Mike, thank you so much for sharing. I had never heard of urge surfing. Cool concept that I'm looking forward to trying out.

Thanks for helping to protect the turtles. :) Amazing!

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2023

Great topic @Andrew Zimmerman _Appfire_ and great questions! I have been doing the same as @Andy Gladstone and reducing the number of plastic water bottles I use. I recently got my RO system cleaned and I've been using my Hydroflask and refilling it with the RO water. Now, I can't say I have reduced my water bottle usage 100% because this weekend I went to Phoenix Fan Fusion (Phoenix's version of Comicon) and they would not allow flasks so I had to buy plastic bottles. I also use nothing but reusable bags when I go grocery shopping. If I do happen to get a plastic bag from a delivery or something, I recycle it at the local grocery store. I also participate in my cities recycling program. 

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2023

Those are wonderful steps, @summer.hogan! Thanks so much for sharing and thank you for recycling :D.  

Like Summer_Hogan likes this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2023

The "easy" steps we've taken to reduce one-time use plastics:

- reusable containers when we go to the large-beverage-chain shop. I'm also shifting from the plastic reusable containers to metal or glass reusable containers.

- decline plastic straws in restaurants (always carry reusable metal straws)

- bring our own shopping bags to the store

- use bar soaps instead of liquid soaps that come in plastic bottles

I'm planning to switch to laundry soap options that don't come in plastic jugs when we next run out of our current soap supply.

Where I live (Portland, Oregon) there are a lot of options for recycling materials. While the standard waste collection service is a bit limited in what they will take for recycling, there are multiple drop off locations for other types of materials, and many business that help with upcycling materials. We try to research all of those before we consider throwing something in the garbage bin.

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2023

Fantastic tips, @Trudy Claspill

Good call with those reusable metal straws. Love that.

Thanks so much for sharing! 

Like # people like this
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 5, 2023

@Andrew Zimmerman _Appfire_ Now I'm curious what the laundry detergent you switched to is - can you share? 

For trying to live more sustainably, this month I planted a garden (lots of herbs, peas, beans, kale, radish, spinach, and flowers for the pollinators, many of which need all the help they can get!). In fact, I joke that the garden is more for the animals than it is for me since most of the edible things get eaten before the humans get to them. Also my city donated vegetable plants in the front of my house for anyone to come and pick (and I take care of them). The basil and chives are very popular. 

Tending a garden for myself and for others makes me feel more connected with the earth. I love celebrating every day of growth or reframing how I feel when the squirrels/worms/slugs/beetles consume whatever is ready to be eaten!

One tip to reduce food waste is to only buy or cut the herbs or vegetables that you will use (being more conscious and realistic about this). And to put the herbs in a glass of water to make them last longer. And many herbs and veggies can be frozen and used later.

IMG-20230530-WA0005.jpg

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 6, 2023

Hi, @carolyn french - I love the tips to make produce last longer. That's great that you're gardening and including pollinators in what you grow!

The laundry detergent I used are called Ecos hypoallergenic laundry detergent sheets. They are found at my local Fresh Thyme Market (a grocer) but you can see them online here: https://www.ecos.com/laundry/laundry-detergent-sheets-free-clear/

Thanks for sharing!

Like # people like this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 9, 2023

This is how ACA Group - the company I work for - commits to sustainability and circularity: Sustainability Services & Strategies 

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 9, 2023

Awesome! Thanks for sharing, @Dave Mathijs

Like Dave Mathijs likes this
Ajay _view26_
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 16, 2023

I was recently on a trek in the Himalayas, and it was incredible to see the beauty of nature firsthand. At the same time it also made me realise how fragile our environment is...

There is a lot of initiatives from the local govt by banning plastics ..but with the huge population in India everyone need to do their part.. During my trips, I make  conscious choices.. such as refraining from consuming candies and plastic-wrapped snacks. Instead, ensure to either carry pre-packaged food or opt for fasting :)

@Andrew Zimmerman _Appfire_   I'm so glad you brought up this topic . It's a great reminder that we all have a role to play in protecting our planet.

Like # people like this
Manoj Gangwar
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 19, 2023

Awesome. Thanks for sharing

Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2023

Amazing, @Ajay _view26_ - Thanks for sharing this and for doing your part!

Manoj Gangwar
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 19, 2023

Thank you so much for sharing!! 

Like # people like this
Prabhu Palanisamy _Onward_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 23, 2023

I started using bamboo based plates and utensils as opposed single use plastics. Sample Link Bamboo Plates .

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2023

Nice, @Prabhu Palanisamy _Onward_ - that's a great idea!

Kai Becker
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2023

We recently changed all water bottles and lunch boxes to stainless steel ones instead of plastic.
Really like them :)

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2023

Awesome! Thank you, @Kai Becker !

Aslan Bennington-Barr July 4, 2023

I have switched to using refillable containers for many household cleaners. I've found I prefer the quality, and the price too!

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 5, 2023

Fantastic, @Aslan Bennington-Barr

Markus Fredén
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2023

Since living in The Netherlands for six months (I'm from Sweden) I have learned to bring bags to stores instead of buying new ones all the time, which unfortunately is extremely common in Sweden.

One time in The Netherlands I went to a store and bought A LOT of groceries only to find out that they were out of bags at the store... That's when I really learned!

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events