Miscellaneous Monday - Bring Flowers To Someone Day

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2023

Happy Monday Everyone!

For those that aren’t aware today is Bring Flowers To Someone Day!

Have you heard of Floriography (language of flowers)? For centuries, cultures have said flowers tell a story based on the meaning of the flower. Each flower carries a special meaning with certain symbolism behind the flower. For example:

• Amaryllis = Pride
  • Begonia = Beware
  • Chrysanthemum, white = Truth
  • Daisy = Innocence
  • Hyacinth = Sport, Game, Play
  • Lavender = Distrust
  • Rose, red = Love
  • Thyme = Courage, Strength
  • Willow = Sadness

The act of giving flowers has been a custom dating back ancient times. History documents flowers as an important part of the social customs of Chinese, Egyptian, Greek, and Roman cultures.

Learning the special symbolism of flowers became popular during the 1800s. Nearly all Victorian homes had guidebooks for deciphering the “language”, flowers were primarily used to deliver messages that couldn’t be spoken aloud. There were also rules attached to flower giving. If someone gave a bouquet of roses to another and presented them upside down, the receiver would assume the flowers were given out of anger.

One tradition is to select the flowers of a wedding bouquet based on plant symbolism. I didn't know that, I just chose flowers I liked and I still remember the feeling, how much excited I was when I saw it for the first time. I still have it - I made a decoration from the dried flowers and placed it to our bedroom.

flower.jpeg

Do you have any story connected to flowers giving/receiving, which would you like to share? Which flowers do you like? Thank you. 

15 comments

Comment

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 14, 2023

Oh no! I just gave my wife a Lavender plant, not good!

giphy

For a whole year, I gave my wife a single red rose every Monday. Couple of those weeks we were on a trip in another country so I had to improvise. I think I bought her a fake rose once and another time a little flower pot with a fake flower.

Thanks for sharing and happy Monday!

Like # people like this
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2023

That's wonderful, thank you for sharing this.

Like # people like this
Manoj Gangwar
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2023

(:

Dreamsuite Mike
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2023

For those who think romance is dead, you should come and spend some time in my company 😁

In the UK in April and may, wild garlic grows all over.  It is amazing, you can use it for pesto, wild garlic oil, in stir fry, salad and I love it.

20230509_092720.jpg

On the weekend, I went to harvest some and as a treat to my wife, I presented her the garlic flowers

20230515_110902.jpg

I'm not sure what this symbolises, nature, frugality, the fact we have been together almost 10 years 🤣
What I would say is I think they are really pretty and they don't stink of garlic, they have a delicately sweet floral note.

As a bonus you can use them as a garnish to your meal and they taste delicious

Like # people like this
Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2023

That's the best thing I'll read today @Dreamsuite Mike :D
We have loads of wild garlic growing in the mountains nearby, and yes, I 100% agree with how tasty this treat is!

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2023

This is an awesome story @Dreamsuite Mike!

Like # people like this
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2023

Wild garlic is very popular in my country too. We called it "medvědí česnek", which can be translated as bear's garlic.

Like # people like this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2023

Interesting story and context about floriography @Hana Kučerová , I never paid attention to it before.

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2023

I've never heard of this! Floriography is such a fun word. I prefer plants (flowering are great!) over cut flowers just because it always feels like cut flowers die so quickly. Although, now that my cat doesn't like to knock over water glasses and my kids have grown and won't play with the vase, I think I'm open to receiving or purchasing cut flowers again. Maybe some amaryllis to celebrate a weekly win or hyacinth to kick off the upcoming weekend of my daughter's first middle school musical? (Not that kind of play I know, but it felt like a sport with how much she's prepared for it!) 🙃 💐

Like # people like this
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2023

I have a opposite problem now - my daughter will be one year old in June and slowly starts to stand and walk. We are moving all the plants to the ceiling :-). 

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2023

@Hana Kučerová thanks for teaching me something new. Floriography will forever be entwined with your name!

I think my wife is in the same boat and picked a wedding bouquet of flowers she liked rather than ones that had a specific meaning. We hung it upside down in her bedroom in the house she grew up in - it's still there every time we visit her parents.

Although I have sent flowers hundreds of times in my life (mostly to my wife) I was never the recipient of flowers until recently when the Community Team sent me an arrangement while our family was going through a difficult period. That will also forever remain in my memory.

Flowers (1).jpg

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2023

Those are lovely! Such a great community we have here! 

Like # people like this
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2023

Wonderful, thank you for sharing this.

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2023

I love this word Floriography so thanks for sharing that history @Hana Kučerová! I love getting flowers! My favorites are all the flowers in Hawaii! I have so many pictures of Hawaii flowers from all my trips there. BUT I'm with @Andy Gladstone and was so pleased when I received flowers from the Atlassian Community team after I had surgery. I thought it was the sweetest thing ever and rivaled the time my family all chipped in and sent me flowers on the first valentines day after my husband passed away to keep that tradition my husband had with me going! 
Flowers from Community team: 

flowers from community.jpg

Flowers from my family:

flowers from family.jpg

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2023

It seems like floriography almost has an individual definition for each bouquet/flower/etc. depending on the where/when/why. 💜

Like # people like this
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2023

Wau, thank you for sharing. love it!!!

Like # people like this
Rachel McDonald May 15, 2023

I didn't pick my wedding bouquet based on floriography, but I went with white roses and white ranunculus because they're pretty! Turned out pretty good...white roses symbolize eternal love, a new start, and fresh beginnings while white ranunculus symbolize pure love. Awwww! :)

0F1A5669.jpg

Like # people like this
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2023

Those are lovely!

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 16, 2023

So beautiful! Such pretty arrangements! 

Like # people like this
Branson Lutz May 17, 2023

Day Give Flowers? Where I come from we do not have such holidays, it's very cool!

Like # people like this
Rakesh Kambattula May 23, 2023

I just sent my wife a red flower in Whatsapp :D (I will definitely give one directly as soon as I complete my current trip)

Like # people like this
Chris K
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2023

Thank you for sharing these beautiful, imaginative, funny and thoughtful flower stories 🌸

I'd also like to share one of mine:

When my girlfriend and I were together for 6 months, she spent her holiday together with her sister in Bulgaria. When she entered the hotel room, she found a bouquet of red roses on the table for her surprise, together with a personal message (the most romantic love letter you can imagine :P) from me. 

I remember that the idea came to my mind, when she left our apartment on the way to the airport. So I had to arrange things really quickly to get the flowers to the hotel room before they even checked in. I got the information about the hotel from her sister and didn't believe that this plan would work at all, but the local flower store and the receptionist played along and helped me out on my secret mission "flower power".

This was probably the most expensive bouquet of flowers in my life, but also the most unexpected for my girlfriend, who I can now call my wife.

Every time I bring her flowers, she and I think of this story, and it makes us smile.

End of the story 😁

Like # people like this
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 27, 2023

Lovely story, thank you for sharing it!

Like # people like this
Manoj Gangwar
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 19, 2023

Beautiful flowers🌸🌺🌻🌹🌷🌼💐🌸🌺🌻🌹🌷🌼💐🌸🌺🌻🌹🌷🌼💐🌸🌺🌻🌹🌷🌼💐

Like # people like this
Prabhu Palanisamy _Onward_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 23, 2023

Jasmine reminds me of my hometown. You don't get it often in the US but very few stores import it from India. I'd recommend it getting it than the usual roses.

Like # people like this
Kai Becker
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2023

Even though it is more a tree than a flower, I love the smell of lilac and the beautiful range of colors it can have.

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 11, 2023

I agree - I absolutely love lilacs!

Like # people like this
Aslan Bennington-Barr July 4, 2023

I'm a fan of giving roses - it's cliche but they're beautiful.

Like # people like this
Markus Fredén
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 5, 2023

Gimme lots of Willows please!

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events