Friday fun: silly things you once believed

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
November 3, 2017

This NPR article discusses some of the things people used to believe as kids. Such as people thinking sea horses were make-believe, unicorns were real, or "when my dad had the graveyard shift he literally had to work in a graveyard."

We have these signs in California, prohibiting large vehicles from traveling down certain streets:

Screen Shot 2017-11-03 at 8.12.59 AM.png

When I was a kid, I thought this meant the streets were only a few inches thick, and if a heavy truck drove on them, they would crumble.

Also until pretty recently, I thought Warren Buffett got his start by investing the royalties from his song "Margaritaville." 

So what silly things did you once believe?

3 comments

Comment

Stephanie Grice
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
November 3, 2017

My mom told me that eating the crust of my sandwich bread would make my hair curly. I believed that until I was 16... 

Bridget
Community Manager
November 3, 2017

Growing up, my dad always tell me that I'm truly his daughter because we had the first three letters of our name in common. He would spell his name B-r-i-a-n on tests that needed to get signed, permission slips, even checks!

It was only when I found his birth certificate in an old baby book of his that I discovered his name was legally spelled B-r-y-a-n. To this day, I'm still not quite sure why he told me otherwise! 

Monique vdB
Community Manager
November 3, 2017

That reminds me: growing up, my dad told us that we owned Vandenberg Air Force base because he inherited it from his dad. And I bragged about this to all my friends at school.

(Note: my dad is Dutch, and his father never even lived in America, so this makes even less sense.) 

Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2017

I just remembered one, on my drive to my folks place for thanksgiving.  I thought all of the corn grown was for people to eat, and that it was just so sad that something caused the farmers to not be able to harvest it all before it went bad. 

Now I know that corn is grown for many things, and it's left to dry out on purpose. :-)

Monique vdB
Community Manager
November 30, 2017

Wait, it's... not... just for people to eat?

😕

Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2017

Nope!  It's grown for animal feed and biofuel production. When I was a kid it was mainly for animal feed, but biofuel is now nearing 50%.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events