Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Friday-fun — How to BBQ your product team

Gergo Matyas November 24, 2022

Hi everyone — I'm Gergo, PM at EverIT. Let me share my hobby. I can't stop smoking, glazing, and grilling food outside. 🥩 🫑

It was an exciting journey to become a BBQ enthusiast. I started with the cheapest and simplest grill I could buy a few years ago — just to enjoy the summer and invite friends. Then I wanted to improve and prepare better, tastier meals. So I dove into researching better ingredients, bbq gadgets, etc. When I bought the first sack of professional charcoal (with way more heating power), it nearly melted my beginner BBQ set... 

EXPLODING BARBECUE BURGERS! - YouTube

Although I love hamburgers and steaks with a lot of veggies, I'm also a great fan of grilling seafood.

I improved myself step-by-step, and everybody loved joining the events. Having real conversations while waiting for a juicy burger or a tasty steak isn't just for private relations. It worked well for organizing a team retro, planning the upcoming quarters, and refining complex issues. These events connect the team members and build a shared understanding of our goals. And it's fun!

Here are my tips on how to improve the team's efficiency with BBQ events as a product manager 🤩

• set milestones; if the team reaches the goal -> invite them to a BBQ
  • raise bonuses (drink or food) for extra achievements (eg: delivering a few nice-to-have features) 
  • the product team definitely provides a shorter deadline for the upcoming features after having a good meal 😁

Atlassian Community folks! Are there any BBQ fans here? I'm really curious about your proven meals/recipes.

6 comments

Comment

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 25, 2022

I used to grill and BBQ so much, since I was very young (with my father)! I loved to be honest, not the grilling procedure, but what was coming after, which meant food and drinks with friends and family! For a few years now, since I moved away from my home town and living on a building, is quite hard to have even a small BBQ. :(

Like # people like this
Summer Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 29, 2022

Hi @Gergo Matyas - nice to meet you! 

I am not the BBQ Fan in the family; my father is! He is great at grilling! The best thing he makes in my opinion is whole lobsters. They are so good! 

Like Amanda Barber likes this
Johanna Pichotka_APTIS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 29, 2022

At our company we have a tradition to go out for steaks when we celebrate a big win. And in summer we also have some barbecues together. Good food definitely helps raise the mood! 

I'm a vegetarian but at one of this years barbecues I ate a burger with some roasted veggies which was really delicious. 

Like # people like this
Marta Woźniak-Semeniuk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2022

I wish we could do it with my teams, one of the problems when you work remote-first :( 

Like # people like this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 30, 2022

I love my grill.  I'm a traditionalist, I won't use gas.  Hardwood for me, BBQ is worth the wait.
Each year the 3rd Sat. of December we have a BBQ party.  Yes, I live in Canada.  Yes, it's cold.  Yes, there's snow.  My dogs love it when BBQ dripping fall into the snow  :) 
BBQ

I once bought a dual BBQ charcoal on one side, gas on the other.  When this BBQ was put to rest (donated to a younger family member) the gas side was never used for anything other than holding raw food covered while the charcoal side was heating up and getting ready.

BBQ

Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2023

I actually grilled outside a few times this last winter amongst the snow and ice of the Midwestern US.  This summer's challenge to use the rotisserie! 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events