Friday fun: Getting old!

Tessa Tuteleers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 18, 2021

Hi you guys! 

It is my turn this week to kick off a friday fun topic, and as I just turned 30 this week, I wanted to tell you a little about that. 

Covid is still not out of the country here (Belgium), but for the moment we are doing a little better. More vaccinations are being done every day than coffees poured, so we really are getting somewhere. And thus I had a little hope of being able to host a real big  party this year, but alas, at the moment that's still not really possible.

So I was a little gloomy about my big 30. 

However, the morning of, my 2 favourite people in the whole world had come into my home (while I was sleeping, creepy people really :o D ), decorated the entire place and woke me up with breakfast and mimosas. 

From now on, this is my best birthday memory ever!! 

IMG_20210610_081626.jpg

So please tell me your favourite birthday memories!! 

15 comments

Comment

PJ Wysota
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2021

Gosh... "teen look" girl starting a topi of getting old, once she's 30... Like I listened to my 30+ wife with the same look (she is always asked for ID, when buying smokes). 

GETTING OLD? It is when you are 42-43, got hit by genetically predisposed disease from your god damned ancestors (Deep vains trombosis + lymphodermia), and within 2 weeks from "party going" mid age animal you became an old, waiting for last bullet lion king, lying on the bed... (yup, that's my sad story)

Getting ols is when You realize that your fav tee of the best concert ever Yo have been at is an adult (yup - 2002 was 19 years ago)

Getting old is when you stopped to count your work experience when responding to job offer, being sure that no-one worked in this business as long as You did.

But what is the best - getting old is when you just don't give a shit anymore, letting things go by, fly by, and enjoying the trip regardless how long will it be.

Like # people like this
Dharma Ramos
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2021

@PJ Wysota lol, I can relate. I was driving into work in my 19 year old car when I stopped to let an 18 year old intern cross the street and thought to myself, "darn, my car is older than that kid."

Like # people like this
Tessa Tuteleers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 18, 2021

@PJ Wysota , 

I totally understand where you are coming from, and you're not the only one to say that! 
I guess it can be a matter of perception sometimes, I wrote this post with this Friends episode in mind: 

Screenshot 2021-06-18 at 14.34.10.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI4TJagzvEE 

And if getting old is like you say: 

When you just don't give a shit anymore, letting things go by, fly by, and enjoying the trip regardless how long will it be

Then I look forward to getting old, as it sounds pretty good :D 

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 18, 2021

I'm like PJ - once you get to my age, you would rather stop counting the years.  :-)

No favorite one really stands out - there are the "biggies" like 30, 40, 50, etc. But I wouldn't say they were favorites!

So now out tradition is the birthday person gets to pick the restaurant of their choice for a meal. That way I am ensured that I get to eat what I want!

The Good Lord tells us that our days are already numbered. So I will live for Him until he brings me home.  :-)

Like # people like this
Tessa Tuteleers
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 18, 2021

That's a great way of looking at life @John Funk

Like # people like this
PJ Wysota
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 18, 2021

Not sure about His Lordship Highness (as my idea of God is a huge cosmic Joker-architect, like a SW dev, dropping random errors and easter eggs in the generally good code). But indeed - ces't la vive...

Ah, f##k it, I got sentimental, need my perscripted meds now!!!

20210522_142927.jpg

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 18, 2021

John and I are birds of a feather. 

@Tessa Tuteleers , I have had two 30th birthdays and can say for sure that the 30’s were some of my very favorite years! One of my favorite birthdays was 30 in fact. My wife and I joined my sister and brother and their spouses for a 10 day yacht charter out of Marsh Harbor in the Bahamas. My brother-in-law shares my birthday and was celebrating his 40th. It was truly a wonderful experience. We would motor between various islands, most uninhabited, anchor there for the evening and take the dinghy out to snorkel the reef to collect lobster and fish for dinner on the grill. We enjoyed Green Turtle Caye where we went to Miss Emily’s Blue Bar  and had Gumbay Smashes. There are many other wonderful stories and experiences on this trip.

65846AD0-6FCA-42F3-A6F2-A26FE0B380D3.jpeg7F12A9DC-4910-4D45-A3EA-1B8E56D62145.jpeg

Like # people like this
Tessa Tuteleers
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 18, 2021

Wow @Jack Brickey , that sounds like an experience of a lifetime, with lots of amazing memories to keep it alive! 

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 18, 2021

The one thing I remember from my 30th birthday was receiving a simple button to wear that said

30 Hurts

Enough said. 

Like # people like this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2021

I got a hospital bracelet that said "FALL RISK".  :-/

Like Jack Brickey likes this
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 18, 2021

Man, 30 was a long time ago. I remember cringing at the time, thinking I was so old. I'm turning 50 next year; that one's really going to hurt.

My family is spread out over the country, so I haven't been able to spend an actual birthday with them in decades. But my sister and I are two weeks apart (well, 2 weeks plus 8 years 😀), and in 2018 our aunt and uncle took us, plus our brother and SIL, to Disney World as a combined birthday present. Aunt and Uncle love Disney; they go every year, but my sibs and I had never been. They surprised us with lunch in Cinderella's castle, including being sung to by all of the princesses and getting tiaras. 

I'm not normally into that kind of thing, but it made them so happy that it's become my happiest adult birthday memory.

Like # people like this
Tom Kakanowski June 18, 2021

I'll be 55 at the end of the month.   I have several friends, and my brother, born within 2 weeks of each other.  When I was younger we used to do a Bulk Birthday Bash, so those qualify as my favourite birthday parties.  For favourite birthday memories, I remember my 5th birthday, my parents thew a pool party.  They got divorced when I was 6, and I never had a birthday party after that until high school, but that pool party sure stuck in my head!

Vintage-above-ground-pools-from-1964-750x602

Like # people like this
Linda Milne_Togetha Group_
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
June 20, 2021

An increasing number of birthdays isn't so bad. I do try to do something fun or special for each one, and for the birthdays of my loved ones - celebrations are important, and a birthday is as good a reason as any. But the stand out was going to Greece - I left on my birthday and arrived on my birthday, so it was an extra long celebration.

Like Tessa Tuteleers likes this
G subramanyam
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 20, 2021

Congratulations and belated happy birthday wishes dear @Tessa Tuteleers

I liked your birthday surprise picture welcoming the grand entry to 30's. While, I knew the fact that my better half  always surprises on my birthday's, what's that surprise is a big surprise when she handover the gift and the cake that stays in my mind to cherish for the rest of the year. One of my favorite an customized cakes in the below picture.

IMG20210109190441.jpg

Like Tessa Tuteleers likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 24, 2021

I'm thrilled that I've never had a surprise birthday party. At least, I'm old enough that I can't remember ever having one. 😅

Like # people like this
PJ Wysota
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 24, 2021

I kind'a agree. WIth the statement that I am really sorry for modern people living in Social Media. Luckily no-one ever recorded and published those stupid things we were doing at our 18th birthday.

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 24, 2021

@PJ Wysota - haha we had Polaroids back then 😅

PJ Wysota
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 24, 2021

Not in Poland, my friend - we had just regular Zenith And Smena soviet photo cameras. :P

Like Dave Liao likes this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2021

My wife threw a surprise party for my "double nickel" (55) birthday.  It was all great until they brought the walker in....  cheeky

Seriously, coming home to a house full of people who all took time out of their busy lives to come celebrate with you is a pretty awesome surprise.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 25, 2021

Seeing 30 and old here inspires me to ask everyone to kindly get off my lawn.

Like # people like this
Jay June 28, 2021

Agreed - run on whippersnappers :-) 

Like # people like this
Jay June 28, 2021

Best memory was last year (perhaps because I cannot remember further back) but just the simplicity of it all, very little fuss, just good people, a day that went like clockwork and the ability to have no stress and unwind.

It is one of the pleasures in this covid world I have found is the ability to work as and when desired but flip it and take time out to slow down, enjoy the isolation and keep out of the 'busy'

Like # people like this
Gonchik Tsymzhitov
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 1, 2021

For my 30, I will do swimming in sea and fishing of tuna :) 

As I am younger, my best memories of birthday was swimming and pizza time with my friends :) 

How to Keep Kids Safe Around the Pool This Summer - Southern Oak Insurance

Like # people like this
Makarand Gomashe
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 1, 2021

For my 30, I will probably plan a trip to an unvisited country with a group of friends and try new adventurous activities with them.

I have been fortunate to have received great parties on my bdays and have always celebrated it with friends and family. One of the unforgettable memories is from my university hostel, where all of the hostel mates plan fun activities, and guess what, it was me (just me) who was supposed to do all of them! (it was certainly fun, I guess for all :P )

Like John Funk likes this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2021

I actually do not like attention so I spend my birthdays with my family or in the woods by myself.  30th was a while ago but I think I may have been backpacking.

Alexander Pappert
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 5, 2021

"getting old" is better than "I'm old"

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 6, 2021

I remember, when I was a little girl, there were national flags everywhere on my birthday and I thought it's because of me. Of course, it wasn't, there used to be a national holiday in February, which was cancelled after the revolution in our country. Still I remember the feeling :-)...

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events