cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Friday Fun: Your First Name

Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 10, 2022

I live in the Czech Republic and today is my name-day. It brings me to my today's question which is What is the meaning of your first name? Additional question could be "Do you celebrate name-day in your culture/country?"

My first name is Martin. Originally it was derived from Mars, the Roman god, but in the Europe it is probably more connected with St. Martin of Tours, who was the soldier of the Roman cavalry but converted to Christianity and became a bishop in Tours.

Looking forward to your answers :)

giphy

21 comments

Comment

Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 10, 2022

Thanks for this, @Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__  - interesting.

Yatish according to many means Lord of devotees and originates in Sanskrit, in India. Some have also told me it means Success or "The Great One" :)

I also googled it now and found this - https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Yatish - Hilarious!

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 10, 2022

@Yatish Madhav NICEEEE !!! :) It is kind of commitment to wear this name :)

Like # people like this
Valerie Knapp
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2022

Happy Name Day @Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__ !

Thanks for this fun topic. The history of my name is that for many generations, the first born female in the family was called Mary and my mom *hated* this tradition so she chose something totally random for me instead, Valerie.

Wikipedia says it means strong and brave. I'll take that! :)

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2022

I hope @Valerie Knapp this awareness will help you in the future when the situation will require these two characteristics :)

Like # people like this
Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2022

Rilwan is a arabic which means grace, pleasure, satisfaction.
Due to conversion from Arabic to English, it is written as Rizwan, Ridwan also. In Arabic it is written as رِضْوَان

Like # people like this
Saralie S.
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
November 11, 2022

A Name Day sounds so cool! I wish I could say my name has a meaning, but it unfortunately doesn't. But my father came up with the name! It's pronounced "saruh-lee". I'm not quite sure if we celebrate name day in the U.S., but I wish we did!

Like # people like this
Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2022

This is such a fun topic @Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__ and I'm learning more about my name! I always new about the meaning and history of Holton but not really about Laura. So here it goes...

📜 The meaning of Laura 📜

The name Laura is the feminized form of laurus, Latin for "bay laurel plant", which in the Greco-Roman era was used as a symbol of victory, honor or fame. The name represents the embodiment of victory and strength.

The name Laura is not in the Bible. However, the tradition of placing laurel leaves on one's head as a sign of victory is ancient, and the original Latin word “Laurus” shows up in the Bible.

"Laura is a hauntingly evocative perennial, never trendy, never dated, feminine without being fussy, with literary links stretching back to Dante." A frequent Top 20 name from 1963 to 1986, reaching Number 10 in 1969, Laura remained in the Top 100—minus a brief stretch from 1935 to 1944—until as recently as 2001.

And apparently the Christian name days for Laura are:

• January 15: Sweden
  • January 18: Estonia, Finland
  • January 22: France
  • April 18: Latvia
  • June 1: Czech Republic
  • June 5: Slovakia, Slovenia
  • June 17: Hungary, Lithuania, Poland
  • August 10: Austria, Germany
  • October 19: Lithuania, Italy, Spain, England

There you have it folks, I'm not trendy but never outdated, I'm feminine but not fussy, and I embody victory and strength 😄

Like # people like this
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 11, 2022

Haha love it! Brillant @Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_ 

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2022

Very interesting facts @Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_ , thank you :)

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 11, 2022

Mine is a Greek name that means "Victory of the People" - the name joins "Nike" / victory (god of) to "laos" / people

Not sure if that feeds into my competitive instincts when playing games, but hey ;-)

The UK doesn't do name days.

Also I didn't get my current name for a couple of weeks after I was born, because my mother couldn't decide on one that would annoy her mother-in-law the most.  Granny was demanding I was going to be called John, after my grandpa, and his grandpa, and his grandpa.

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2022

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- this is the best reason to not to have a name for a baby for weeks I ever heard :D

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2022

Great topic @Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__

I have two sets of names, my given English name Andrew Mark and my Hebrew name, חיים מאיר (pronounced Chaim Meir). The two names are completely unrelated to one another. The English name is because my parents liked it, the Hebrew name was because I was named for two deceased members of my mother's family. 

Andrew Mark is formulation of two common names. They were 21st and 26th most popular names in the United States in the year of my birth, 1978. I've gone by Andy since 3rd grade due to there already being an Andrew in the class when I switched schools entering 3rd grade. I went by Andy stripes for a few years due to my mother's propensity for dressing me in striped shirts.

My Hebrew name has more meaning and significance. The words Chaim Meir can literally be translated as life (Chaim) from light (Meir). I look at this as my calling and my path to walk in life. I must bring light to others, and thereby improve their lives. It's a responsibility to live up to every day.

I do not believe that there is any celebration of name days in the United States. There is nothing that I am aware of in Judaism either - but the giving of the name to achild after birth is a significant moment that is celebrated with family and friends. 

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2022

Hi @Andy Gladstone I like the story of your hebrew name, it is inspiring :)

Like # people like this
Summer Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2022

This is a great story @Andy Gladstone. Very interesting! 

Like Amanda Barber likes this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2022

My first name "Trudy" is often a diminutive for Gertrude, but my parents named me simply Trudy.

Gertrude is a Germanic name that means something along the lines of "spear maiden" or "spear of strength.

I was given this name by my parents because they were trying to find a name that was not already given to any other member of their extended families. My brother (born first) was named after our father, but there was one member of the extended family that insisted he must've been named after some great-uncle with whom he shares his middle name. 

My parents thought they were so clever in picking my name, until that same one member of the family insisted I was named after my grandfather who was called "Rudy".

My name is unusual within my generation in the US, and so it tends to be remembered more readily. I have appreciated that I am often the only "Trudy" most people know. And if somebody calls out "Trudy!" in a crowd, there is a pretty good chance they are calling out to me. :-)

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2022

@Trudy Claspill yeah, there is always someone "smart" in the family :D

Like # people like this
Mayur Jadhav
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 11, 2022

Mayur is an Indian Name (Sanskrit) which means Peacock.

Like # people like this
Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 12, 2022

Additional fun fact, 'Peacock' is the national bird of India!!

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2022

Thank you guys for interesting facts, I had no idea :)

Like # people like this
Teodora V _Fun Inc_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 12, 2022

Teodora comes from Greek, and it means "A gift from God" (I doubt my relatives agree with that!). It has an interesting way of celebrating here in Bulgaria.

My name day moves every year depending on Easter, and it's also called a "Horse Holiday". In almost any village there is a horse race and all horses wear flowers and their mains are braided with colorful threads. 

It's a fun holiday and when I feel like celebrating, I'm going somewhere to watch the races :) 

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2022

Hehe, very interesting. In the Czech Republic, every name (not every but the usual ones) has simply the date and it is celebrated the same day every year. The poor "Horymir" who is celebrated on February 29th :D

Gaurav
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 12, 2022

My first name 'Gaurav', originates from the native language of Hindi/ Sanskrit which means 'honour', 'pride' or 'respect'.

Although there is no specific day that goes by my name, but each national festival is a day of pride so in a way, is connected to my name.

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2022

Nice, it is good to be creative to find a reason to celebrate :)

Like Summer Hogan likes this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 12, 2022

My first name (David) is pretty Google-able and not too interesting. 🤣

But I do celebrate my name-day! Who doesn't like a birthday cake?

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2022

Hi @Dave Liao , we do not have birthday cakes when celebrating name-days but we do give presents to the person who celebrates the name-day, so we have doubled reason to spend some money and ideas to make somone happy :D

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 12, 2022

@Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__ Happy name day.  I just Googled the meaning of my name and it seems it is of Norse origin and means sword or fiery torch.  Guess I learned something today.  

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2022

That's the main reason for the topic, to learn something about yourself :)

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2022

My parents actually named me John Mark, but I dropped the middle name about Junior high school. Both names are Biblical and pretty common names in the US. Some of my siblings still call me John Mark.  :-)

Like # people like this
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2022

Ah, middle names. I'm actually named John Matthew but I go by Matt or Matthew.

This is a nuisance when dealing with US bureaucracy such as Social Security Admin which no longer recognizes middle names as a valid part of your full name. Doh!

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2022

Yeah, it is not probably very practical to have the middle name but it sounds better when you say it :D.

Like # people like this
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2022

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_name#Middle_name_as_primary_forename list some USians who use their middle name. Not sure what they do about their Social Security cards. For example

Like # people like this
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2022

Happy name day @Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__ !

We too celebrate name days in Greece, although this celebration is connected to the religion... (silently stops speaking about religion..)

Alexandros (in Greek Αλέξανδρος) - Alex:

The name derives etymologically from the root of the verb alexo (αλέξω), which means repel, protect, ward off and the name anir (man) in Ancient Greek. Consequently it means "the one who violently repels men (=enemies)", thus the very brave and powerful warrior.

The above is an (almost) exact translation of what my name means. Can't stop laughing at how Greeks inserted the word "violently" on the translation, since this word isn't a part of my name. :) 

"Ohhh Persians fear the almighty Alexander the Great who will violently repel you from this land"

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 14, 2022

Thank you @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ for the interesting information. I'm just curious if there will be some names created in our age. It could mean something like "the smartest man in the room who always beat everyone in the argumentation" :D

Like # people like this
Kerli Loopman
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 15, 2022

I have researched my names history before and i found that name Kerli may come from Gertrud and Lydia but I googled it today and found something new! 

"Meaning of Kerli: Name Kerli in the Indian  origin, means Means A Golden Necklace. Name Kerli is of Indian origin and is a Boy name. People with name Kerli are usually Judaism  by religion."

In Estonia it is a girl name though and 1522 females have this name in Estonia. Kerli is 117th most popular female name.

We have only 1.3M population.

Like # people like this
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 15, 2022

Hi @Kerli Loopman niceee :)

Summer Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2022

Given that my name is Summer, I was going to say that it is pretty self explanatory, but then I found this for baby name meanings and I learned something new today! 

Summer is a girl's name of British origin that signifies 
the beauty of the sought-after season. Reminiscent of relaxing days, gentle breezes, and ambient light, this could be the perfect name for a little one who arrives during the warmer months.

I got my name because my mom had named my sister and when I came it was his turn. I was born in November so I was not born during a warmer month. He just liked the name and I became Summer

Like # people like this
Wojciech Wardaszko _HeroCoders_
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 17, 2022

My name might be interesting to you @Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__ as I have it after one of the first Czech saints - better known in the Western world by his ordained name Adalbertus, Wojciech was the guy to christianize Poland. 

The literal meaning is "joy of combat" or "joy of war" - but it didn't come true for st. Wojciech/ Adalbert and it's certainly not true for me. I do enjoy combating problems though :)

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 24, 2022

My given name is Jonathan. Meanings include: Gift from God, God's given, or a handful of other variations. I'll take it! 😉

Like # people like this
Abhay Gupta
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 6, 2022

The name Abhay is primarily a male name of Indian origin, and it means "Fearless".

In the Hindi / Sanskrit language, fear is "Bhay". And for the opposite, you add "A" to it, so it becomes Abhay.

Adding an "A" is a common way in the Hindi/Sanskrit language to create opposites. Another example is the word Samay that means timely, and Asamay that means untimely.

Note that I have explained above in English language, but it is not how it is actually written in Hindi

• English - Abhay
  • Hindi - अभय
Like # people like this
Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 10, 2023

Maximilian has its origin in Latin. Supposedly from the Roman name "Maximilianus" which came from "Maximus" - "the greatest". I never celebrated my name day but now I know that it's on October 12 in Germany. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events