Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Friday Fun: Your Favorite Fall Books (Seasonal Reading)

Halina Cudakiewicz_Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 13, 2023

As we’re well into fall here in the northern hemisphere, I’d like to talk to you about seasonal reading.

What’s a better way to spend chilly fall afternoons than to get cozy with some blankets, warm drinks and moody stories?

clay-banks-w_qTfiPbjbg-unsplash.jpg

Photo by Clay Banks on Unsplash

If you’re not familiar with the concept of seasonal reading, it’s exactly what it sounds like. Choosing books that are somehow connected with the changing seasons.

So, without further ado, let’s talk books! I’ll start by giving you a few recommendations perfect for fall:

1. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving: A classic ghost story set in autumn.
  2. The Secret History by Donna Tartt: A gripping novel about a group of classics students at an elite college and the dark events that unfold.
  3. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier: A psychological thriller with an atmospheric setting.
  4. The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson: A chilling story that's perfect for Halloween.
  5. Dracula by Bram Stoker: Classic vampire horror.
  6. Through the Woods by Emily Carroll: A collection of spooky graphic stories.

These are only a few of the most moody and autumnal reads from my list. Please share your list down below and tell me if you’re into seasonal reading as well.

10 comments

Comment

Dominika Kuraś-Moskwa _Deviniti_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 13, 2023

No 1 fall lover here! 🍂 Feel obliged to share my list with you. For me, it's a more cozy season than a spooky one, so I usually choose books that are like a hot blanket for me. But will definitely check one or two pieces from your list @Halina Cudakiewicz_Deviniti_🎃

Here are my must-reads for this time of year:

1. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling – I am sure there is no need to introduce this one ;)

2. Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover – cute and not so complicated story, no need to overthink the plot, just read and smile.

3. Before the Coffee Gets Cold by Toshikazu Kawaguchi – ask yourself what would you do if you could travel back in time before reading this one. 

4. First Frost by Sarah Addison Allen – a small-town story with a twist. 

5. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern – part fantasy, part romance, full of well-written descriptions that make you feel as if you are a part of this circus. 

Looking forward to getting more fall reading inspo! 

Like # people like this
Marketplace Partner
October 13, 2023

Thanks for sharing @Dominika Kuraś-Moskwa _Deviniti_ !

I love the idea of books being a cozy companion! It is a sweater weather after all, right? I'm adding books no. 4 and 5 to my reading list :)

Like # people like this
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2023

I'm not much of a Seasonal Reader. Sorry! Give me a good action thriller any day.  Vince Flynn, Tom Clancy, Brad Thor, Daniel Silva or Ted Bell!

Or go for the murder mystery with John Sanford.  This probably would be considered a Regional Reading, however, as they are set in the Midwest.

I heard reading the original Dracula by Bram Stoker is worth it.

Like # people like this
Marketplace Partner
October 13, 2023

I am a huge thriller and murder mystery fan myself, but haven't heard about some of these authors - I'll definitely check them out :)

When it comes to reading Dracula - yes, 100% recommend!

Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2023

I feel like I mostly only think of seasonal reading in regards to summer/beach reads. Otherwise, I read whatever whenever. 

Like # people like this
Marketplace Partner
October 16, 2023

I used to do the same, but then I got introduced to seasonal reading. I recommend you try it sometime :)

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
October 13, 2023

Fully agree with Rebecca and all things Shirley Jackson! 

I have been reading Japanese murder mysteries lately and they are very atmospheric! For Agatha Christie fans, I strongly recommend The Decagon House Murders.  

Like # people like this
Marketplace Partner
October 16, 2023

I'm adding it to my TBR list, thanks!

Dániel Ballabás - EverIT
Marketplace Partner
October 13, 2023

I don't select books by season, but I remember some books that I happened to read at Fall and really liked them. Here they are in a few different genres:

Fantasy:
N.K.Jemisin: The Fifth Season - The first book of a fantasy trilogy, that I felt was very unique: It's told in the POV of a woman who is chasing her husband who kidnapped their daughter through a post-apocalyptic world. I liked the sequels less and less, but the first book was amazing. 

Thriller:
John le Carré: The Spy Who Came in from the Cold, and A Small Town in Germany. The first one is obviously one of his most famous spy thrillers, and I love it, and the second brought back my enthusiasm for him after not reading him for a few years. It also made me do more research on the different histories of East and West Germany during the Cold War.

SciFi:
Chris Beckett: Dark Eden - It starts of as just another Young Adult retelling of the Lord of the Flies, but the world-building exceeds any that I've read/seen from the genre.
Adrian Tchaikovsky: Children of Time - The book that made me love spiders - one of its main storylines follows how an error in terraforming turns not monkeys, but spiders into a human-like sentient species, and what type of modern society they would form.
Andy Weir: Project Hail Mary - It's my feelgood, but serious SciFi recommendation, even better than The Martian was.

Crime?
Mark Haddon: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
I'm not sure about it's genre, but this book should be read by everyone. Told through the inner monologues of an autistic teenager, it starts as a crime story he likes about his investigations starting when he finds one of their neighbor's dogs murdered. And then it turns into more.

Marketplace Partner
October 16, 2023

Almost all are new to me but they do seem perfect for fall. Thanks for recommendations! I think I'll finally give a go one of John le Carré's books this fall. :)

Summer.Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2023

I'm currently reading the The Magic of MinaLima: Celebrating the Graphic Design Studio Behind the Harry Potter & Fantastic Beasts Films, if that counts!?!?!?! I'm not a big reader so not a good person to reply to this post. 

Marketplace Partner
October 16, 2023

I didn't know about this but it sounds like I should check it out. I'm a Harry Potter fan for sure :)

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 19, 2023

I'm not a fond reader actually. 📚🙈

The few (e-)books I have are work related.

But interesting to follow the answers/comments in this post anyway.

Like # people like this
Marketplace Partner
October 20, 2023

Fall is also a perfect time for learning for work.

Share some of your best work-related ebooks :)

Mohamed Riza _ServiceRocket_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2023

This is the first time I have heard of seasonal reading. Probably because the place I live only has one season. lol. Sounds fun though!

Marketplace Partner
October 25, 2023

It is! What's the season? :)

Mohamed Riza _ServiceRocket_
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 28, 2023

Hot and Humid :)

Like Valerie Knapp likes this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 3, 2023

Autumn is my favorite season. And for that reason, I am always drawn to WaldenHenry David Thoreau's classic work about living in the natural world. The imagery is so vivid and the struggle so real that it literally transcends time and place (and Thoreau was a Transcendentalist). The same struggle I experience each year wanting to retreat into the beauty of nature while still needing to live in the industrial world.   

Marketplace Partner
November 6, 2023

Thank you for sharing that. Walden is on my TBR list and your comment made me want to read it this fall :)

I fully understand the struggle, in fact, over the summer I moved closer to nature and I'm enjoying the change.

Like Andy Gladstone likes this
Valerie Knapp
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 10, 2023

Hi @Halina Cudakiewicz_Deviniti_ , thanks for this interesting topic!

I also tend to think of seasonal reading more as like a silly beach read. I found in my local library recently these, for example, that I was kind of tempted by, lol

You Had Me at Halloumi: Not just a cheesy holiday romance 

What the Focaccia? by Ginger Jones | Goodreads

Currently, I have been trying to break back into reading after a period of super intense study, working towards achieving my Atlassian Certified Expert standing and, earlier this year, the ITIL 4 Foundation and Specialization so I also came here to get some ideas! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Marketplace Partner
November 12, 2023

Thanks @Valerie Knapp !

These two sound like a perfect light-hearted stories for you to ease back into reading with :) I find that, after a break, it's better to pick something light and easy to read, rather than a classic or something more demanding.

Like Valerie Knapp likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events