Friday Fun: Pirates!

Lauren Allen September 16, 2021

Ahoy Matey!

Sunday is International Talk Like a Pirate Day o' all things Pirate, share yer favourite Pirate related jokes, movies, facts 'n so on.

Bonus points fer postin' in Pirate speak. (ye can use a translator here if ye needs t')

One o' me favourite jokes be: 

Q: How much did the pirate pay for his piercings?

A: A buck-an-ear

A few icebreaker questions fer ye:

1. What would your pirate name be?
  2. What would be the funniest phrase to teach a parrot to say?
  3. If you had a secret treasure, where would be the best place to hide it?
  4. What is your strategy for defeating a sea monster?
  5. If you were a pirate, what would be your weapon of choice?

Some o' me favourite Pirate movies:

• The Goonies
  • Pirates of Penzance
  • Cutthroat Island

Happy Natter Like a Pirate day t' ye all!

21 comments

Comment

Linda Milne_Togetha Group_
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
September 16, 2021

Hate to say it but cant go past Pirates of the Caribbean! And if I were a pirate I think Id have to carry a cutlass and a cool flintlock style pistol! Traditionalist, I am.

cutlass.jpgflintlock.jpg

and I'd be a more Firefly / Serenity type pirate. I'd be a space pirate if I had a choice.

Like # people like this
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
September 16, 2021

... oh, and: aaarrrrrr

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2021

Way to think outside the box @Linda Milne_Togetha Group_! I loved Firefly!

Rachel McDonald September 17, 2021

Browncoats, unite!!

Like # people like this
Lauren Allen September 18, 2021

I’m totally with you on the Firefly pirate ship! Yarr!

Marjorie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 21, 2021
  1. What would your pirate name be? Large Marge
  2. What would be the funniest phrase to teach a parrot to say? Ahoy Margie
  3. If you had a secret treasure, where would be the best place to hide it? In my filing cabinet (it's a mess... no one can find anything in there, even me!)
  4. What is your strategy for defeating a sea monster? Talk it to death
  5. If you were a pirate, what would be your weapon of choice? a Sword
Like # people like this
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2021

@Linda Milne_Togetha Group_Firefly piracy carries its own risks

reavers.jpg

Like Daniel Eads likes this
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 17, 2021

Blisterin' barnacles!! I love this! Wonderful topic @Lauren Allen!

So I dunno any pirate jokes 'n I might 'ave a few pirate movies up me sleeve. Howe'er, if ye allow me, I'll choose somethin' else t' share wit' ye. 'n 'tis a piece o' shanties I composed, based on one o' me all time fav'rit video games o' all times: Tailed Monkey Island! 'n aye, thar are a lot o' pirates in it!

qPPWjZZ.gif

Listen t' me shantey here: https://soundcloud.com/alexkoxaras/guywood-threepbrush-a-mighty-pirate

P.S. I adore Goonies!

Proper english translation:

So I don't know any pirate jokes and I might have a few pirate movies up my sleeve. However, if you allow me, I'll choose something else to share with you. And this is a piece of music I composed, based on one of my all time favorite video games of all times: Monkey Island! And yes, there are a lot of pirates in it!

guybrush-threepwood.gif

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 17, 2021

Monkey Island is amazing!

Community Leader
Community Leader
September 17, 2021

Yes it is one of its kind! And I loved all three parts (the originals) :D

Lauren Allen September 18, 2021

So talented @Alex Koxaras _Relational_! I love that ye created yer owns Monkey Island shanty 'n that this topic be such a perfect opportunity t' share it!  

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2021

I would never expect to see Monkey island on Atlassian community! Wonderful!

Monkey island, Prince of Persia and Prehistoric were my first three games I played on my PC 286  (back in '93 I guess?). 

I remember it took my brother and me a lot of time to find out how to get through the insult sword fighting as we were children and didn't speak English much :-).

Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2021

I loved all of these games @Hana Kučerová! I would continue with the list of games, but I I think it would be out of scope!

However, Sid Meier's Pirates would be within the scope of this thread! Lovely game as well!

Like Hana Kučerová likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 17, 2021

I love this! Me proud beauty 'n I got married on September 19th 'n 'tis always a runnin' joke we 'ave goin' each year!

My favorite pirate joke:

Q: What's a pirate's favorite letter?

A: You would think it was "R", but his first love is the "C"

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
September 17, 2021

@Jimmy Seddon my daughter's favorite variation on this joke:

Q: What are the 10 letters of the pirate alphabet?

A: Arrrr, aye-aye, and the seven seas! 

Like # people like this
timmy
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 17, 2021

Arrrrrrrrrr Haaaa Haaa Arrrrrrrrrrr RRRRrrrrrrrrr

Pass the RUM, matey!

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
September 17, 2021

Now that's commitment! 🦜🏴‍☠️🤣

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 11.01.49 AM.png

Like # people like this
timmy
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 17, 2021

SINK ME!!!!!  ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Lauren Allen September 19, 2021

Congratulations on yer anniversary @Jimmy Seddon!

Veronique DUFOUR September 17, 2021

1 more vote for the Goonies!!

@Alex Koxaras _Relational_ Great trailer music :) Composing music is like doing magic for me it's incredible and I don't know to do it or how it works but really like it.

Like # people like this
Solutions Partner
September 17, 2021

Never noticed / heard of this before now. Will have to watch it.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 17, 2021

I am also a big fan of Goonies
 Hk1

Why are pirates called pirates? Because they arrrrr!

Like # people like this
Rachel McDonald September 17, 2021

What do ye call a pirate with two eyes and two legs?
A rookie.

Like # people like this
Mike Rathwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 17, 2021

So... this topic has historical meaning to me.

Moons ago in another lifetime, one of my colleagues was giving a talk on doing a sales pitch where he commented if I said <insert another colleague's name> is a pirate enough times, eventually you will think he is a pirate. He had a slide that said he was a pirate that repeated many times in the deck. At the end was a final "he's a pirate" slide. 

He forgot about that LAST slide in an unfortunate copy/rewrite thing we were all in... with a customer... and we all became pirates that day. A club as it were.

After that we engaged in puerile mischief in company meetings seeing how often we could insert pirate references with nobody the wiser. 

Our standard greeting amongst ourselves was "Yargh".

Like # people like this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
September 17, 2021

@Mike Rathwell this is making me legit laugh out loud at my desk. The idea of being the person on the other end of the pitch and suddenly getting a random "he's a pirate!" side at the end. 😂

Like # people like this
Solutions Partner
September 17, 2021

Ditto. Totally laughing out loud. I could so totally be a part of something like that.

Like Mike Rathwell likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
September 17, 2021

Thanks fer the thread, Laura! Me fav'rit pirate-related thing be the ride at Disneyland. I haven't been thar since they changed the auction scene, 'n am excited t' see Red the pirate next time I go. Arr!

Non-pirate version:

Thanks for the thread, Laura! My favorite pirate-related thing is the ride at Disneyland. I haven't been there since they changed the auction scene, and am excited to see Red the pirate next time I go. Arr!

Like # people like this

Ye're mighty welcome!  I be glad ye like the topic! I'd love t' go on that ride one day. A wee far t' travel from Canberra though. But one day...

Luke Hostetler September 17, 2021

Cap'n Depp certainly wins the category fer Most Memorable Pirate, but I can nah help yearnin' fer a reboot o' the Hornblower series. So long as they can find someone who's jus' as good an actor as Ioan Gruffud, I'll manage t' be satisfied wit' it.

As far as weaponry, I can nah reckon o' much I'd rather 'ave fer protection than a dagger, a saber 'n brace o' pistols. Thar's no better way t' signal yer swashbucklin'-ness than t' be armed t' the teeth.

Like # people like this
Solutions Partner
September 17, 2021

ooooo yeah, good call. Forgot about that. A friend put me onto the books at uni. I grinned as nicely as I could, and took them to read, thinking "what the?!" Turned out I totally loved them. And the Ioan Gruffud version, soooooo good.

Like # people like this
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
September 17, 2021

Many moons ago, I was a swashbuckling seafarer... Me first (sorry Jira) Java application love was Puzzle Pirates. And wouldn't you know it, turns out the salty lad is still around!
ss_786a567aace41e7c166b8e4bf0ecea647effa994.1920x1080

(wow, it really has been a long time). But if yer itchin ta pillage, the ship still do be a sailin! 

Plus, Three Rings was really the first time it clicked that tech work at a "real company" could be fun. Take a look at that office!

Three-Rings-Office-Interior-Design

A good reminder of an interview with Daniel James, the Three Rings CEO. It's been too long to find the quote, but he mentioned that developers do their best work when they're rested and happy. Even pirates need a break - take it easy this weekend everyone!    *mutters about finding his old Puzzle Pirates account and going for a sail*

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 17, 2021

I never played Puzzle Pirates, but it looks like a ton of fun!

Solutions Partner
September 17, 2021

Totally cool office!!! I want one.

Like # people like this
Bridget
Community Manager
September 17, 2021

Here's me favorite pirate joke!

What’s a pirate’s favorite exercise?
The plank!

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 17, 2021

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/bC9czlgCMtw4cj8RgH" width="480" height="400" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen"></iframe>

via GIPHY

Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
September 17, 2021

Many people think that a Pirates favorite letter be the "R" because they say it so often, but that assumption be wrong me maty, as a pirate's true love is the "C"

Like # people like this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 17, 2021

@Earl McCutcheon love it!

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
September 17, 2021

yeah you bet be to it by a few minutes, but I still love that one

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 17, 2021

Ahoy me Community hearties! Thar be booty in this post fer sure. But as sure as I am Jack Skellington I am here t' warn ye o' the darkness that lies beneath the seas.  Let this be a warnin' t' those who seek t' read the followin' pirate ticklers.

'ow do ye make a pirate furious?

Take away the p.

Wha' has 8 legs, 8 arms, 'n 8 eyes?

8 pirates.

Wha' do ye call a pirate wit' two eyes 'n two legs?

A rookie.

'n let me leave ye wit' one final caution… keep a close eye on yer kudos least they be looted right out from under ye!

gallery_hero_a0561c7c-2804-4af2-8842-683315de846e.jpg

Like # people like this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 17, 2021

Where do pirates buy their hooks?

The second hand store!

0006827_pirate-hook.jpeg

Like # people like this
Solutions Partner
September 17, 2021

🤣

Like John Funk likes this
Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 18, 2021

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Like John Funk likes this
Vero Rivas
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 18, 2021

The captain yells, raise the candles and those who were below in the boat are left in the dark

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Like # people like this

Thank ye all fer contributin' t' me post. I be glad ye all liked it.  If ye wants some more Pirate memes, me daily meme dump on FB (publicly accessible) was pirate themed today.  Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/purpleolive/posts/10159718823842783

Like # people like this
Vronik September 19, 2021

What I like the most about pirates are their parrots ...

Like # people like this
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 22, 2021

Here's a renewable resource of swashbuckling seadoggery...

https://pirateipsum.me/

Like # people like this
Lauren Allen September 22, 2021

Where has this been all my career!  heart

Like # people like this
Dharma Ramos
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 22, 2021

Growing up I couldn't get enough of "The Pirate Movie". I have purposely not re-watched it since the 80s because I know it was cheesy and would rather remember how much I liked it than be disappointed by re-watching it.

Lauren Allen September 22, 2021

YES! heart I really loved that movie as a kid. I agree it's probably best left in the past, but sometimes my curiosity just gets the better of me...

WW
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 23, 2021

While not exactly a "pirate" movie, there are a lot of pirate elements in the classic, the Princess Bride.

Dread Pirate Roberts for example, and of course, the shrieking eels

eel.png

Anybody want a peanut?

Like Lauren Allen likes this
Solutions Partner
September 23, 2021

Definitely a pirate movie!!! Cant believe I missed this one!

Like WW likes this
Alexander Pappert
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2021

Pirates, thinking of Dodgeball movie

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events