Friday Fun - Memorial Weekend Edition

Jonny Adams
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2018
In the USA, 'nine to fivers' are already watching the clock for quitting time and the beginning of a three day weekend. On Monday we honor soldiers from past and present on Memorial Day. We also tend to have big cookouts, picnics, or barbeques and, for me and my friends, we typically hangout near a large body of water (I'm actually typing this with my toes in the sand on Orange Beach, Alabama).
Last night we grilled some ribeyes, roasted corn on the cob, stuffed jalapenos with cheese and wrapped them in bacon, and washed it all down with margaritas.
What is your go-to picnic/cookout meal and beverage of choice during the "barbeque season"?

8 comments

Comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2018

Smoked roasted corn on the cob works for me

Then I skewer whatever vegetables I can find and roast them with large slabs of halloumi which then goes into a wrap or pitta with chilli hummus.  

Washed down with chilled craft beer.

(I'm one of those "difficult to cook for gits" sometimes called "vegetarians")

Jonny Adams
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2018

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- I don't think I've ever smoked corn, but now it's on the to do list!

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2018

Hard to get it to light?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2018

There are times when I love the curious twists of the English language :-)

For my distant youth, after I stopped eating meat, corn on the cob was often the only thing I could get at a barbeque, and everyone who cooked it wrapped it in aluminium foil, so it was basically baked.  This works absolutely fine.

Then I went to one where the cook did it without foil, on a grill over hot coals which he threw a load of hickory and herbs onto and put a lid on it, so the smoke lingered while the corn cooked.  This works VERY well.

Now, smoke me a gorilla, I'll be back for Christmas

Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
May 29, 2018

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- I'm also veg! BBQs once equated to BYO for me, but then I moved to San Francisco. Now, it's hard to find a BBQ without grilled portobellos or tofu ;). But a delicious wrap + chilled craft beer = is music to my ears! 

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 29, 2018

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- yes! I'd never had smoked corn before this year, but my partner does it by soaking corn in the full husk in water for a few hours, and then placing them on the grill for a juicy, smokey finish.

LeKisha Boswell June 4, 2018

@BiancaE, that's exactly how I cook my corn.....it's so yummy. Try adding chili powder, feta, cilantro and garlic for a Mexican inspired recipe.  

Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 25, 2018

Sausages in bacon, grilled vegetables, ribs and chicken :) Everything goes. 

I enjoy the process as much as the result.

Living in a big city, you start to appretiate these moments of nature even more.

Jonny Adams
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 25, 2018

@Grigory Salnikov we are big believers in plenty of pork for a cookout. At my last one I smoked a pork shoulder and had a cousin show up with a bean dish that had 5 pork cuts in it. 

Hanging around the smoker/grill on a nice day is a piece of paradise.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 25, 2018

We have a barbecue a few times in the summer, sitting on the terrace with friends, enjoying our garden and the landscape:

IMG_1187.JPG

Have a nice long weekend and enjoy your barbecue!

Grigory Salnikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 25, 2018

You too :)

Jonny Adams
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 25, 2018

Looks wonderful @Thomas Schlegel. Hope your weekend is nice as well.

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 29, 2018

@Thomas Schlegel That looks so relaxing!

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 29, 2018

@Erica Moss thank you - it‘s not as exciting as New York, but there are times when you are looking for some „slowness“ in your life - and the theatres of Hamburg are just half an hour away 

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 29, 2018
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 27, 2018

Happy Memorial Day, @Jonny Adams and enjoy all that delicious food you are planning! Steak on the grill is always a favorite for me, and skewers of veggies (zucchini, summer squash, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc) is also a must. I love all the ideas for corn on the grill in this thread...must steal... Watermelon juice is my beverage of choice for the heat.

Jonny Adams
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 29, 2018

Thank you, @carolyn french. I also love grilling zucchini. I cut them into spears, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle liberally with salt/pepper/garlic powder.

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 29, 2018

Later in the summer, I LOVE grilled peaches! The soft, tender, juicy peaches, with the sweetness slightly caramelized from the flames. YUM. Sometimes I top it off with goat cheese and balsamic reduction. I wish I had some right now...

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 29, 2018

I must try this.

Jonny Adams
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 29, 2018

That sounds amazing @BiancaE.

Carol Jones June 1, 2018

I've never even heard of grilled peaches before, I'm going to have to try this!  Do you have a specific method you've found works best, or just chop them up and throw them in a grill basket?

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
June 1, 2018

I usually just cut them in half and remove the pit! I try to find sweet, ripe, but still firm ones, otherwise they can get too mushy and fall through the grate. 

Yum....definitely will be a treat at my next cookout!

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 29, 2018

Hot dogs are my #1 choice when it comes to grilling, but this weekend was all about the ice cream (it was downright soupy in New York). This particular cone has dulce de leche, salt & vanilla soft serve.

ice cream.png

Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
May 29, 2018

BRB having icecream for lunch

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 29, 2018

@Bridget Full support.

BiancaE
Atlassian Team
May 29, 2018

I want to eat this.

Jonny Adams
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 29, 2018

Now I am going to be on high alert for the siren song of the ice cream truck all day.

@Erica Moss how do you dress your hotdog?

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 29, 2018

@Jonny Adams I'm a simple gal — just ketchup & mustard for me!

I'm such a foodie and cookouts are my favorite when eating with large groups or celebrating any occasion.

Smoked corn, asparagus and potatoes are delicious but are more complete with a steak (preferably a ribeye or t-bone) and a slice of watermelon. Ice water infused with melons or lemon is a nice treat in the heat otherwise a good cold Coke always suffices.

Geesh...anyone hungry???

Heth Siemer
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 4, 2018

Being from Texas originally, my dad makes some bomb brisket and pulled pork. But for memorial day this year instead of barbequeing we decided to build a porch. So yeah.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events