cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Friday Fun: Favorite self-care rituals

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2023

Hey, everyone - happy Friday! Have you ever just had one of those weeks? You know the kind: no matter how much you accomplish, your backlog just keeps growing, and nothing is ever quite right.

Yeah, it's been one of those.😵‍💫 When I was younger, I would have beat myself up and then worked all weekend to try to catch up. But as I get older, I'm starting to realize that there really is something to this whole self-care thing. Taking a few days to let my brain rest almost always changes my perspective.

So I'm looking forward to tomorrow, our first truly springlike day. I'm going to take a long bike ride along the lake, then stop at some random empty beach and just sit and read for hours. My idea of heaven!

What do y'all do to take care of yourselves after those weeks (or days, or months)?

10 comments

Comment

Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2023

It's been one of those years.  After avoiding Covid for 3 years, yep... bingo.  Then, a head-long rush to recovery, then Team'23, then run-up to the Kentucky Derby, then the Derby itself... now Preakness.  Yeesh... I'm headed to the beach for a week along with my wife, our oldest son and his family, and a dozen fishing poles, beach chairs, etc.  Can't wait to let the waves of the Gulf of Mexico wash away the cares of the work-a-day world!

Like # people like this
Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 19, 2023

Bringing a good book outside and just shutting out the world for awhile is relaxing.

Also I'll use some pinball therapy and shoot the silver ball around the playfield and listen to the old Electromechanical clicks and clacks.

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 19, 2023

My self-care almost always includes exercise - a run outside, a group fitness class or a good rowing session at the gym are my go-tos. There are days where I need something slower paced and then I tend to try to read outside or snuggled up in bed! Hope you get to enjoy the rest you're craving, @Esther Strom - thanks for this post!

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 19, 2023

I have aspirational self care rituals, but none that I have been putting into practice recently. ☹

Like @Randy O_Neal it's been one of those years - or really 24 months. 

If I were to put the plan into action it would include a long `bike ride, 70 miles or so, with a nice coffee stop in the middle. Enjoying the fresh air and fact that I am so close to the Atlantic Ocean and Long Island Sound with my local cycling club is what helps the stress melt away.

Like # people like this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2023

My self-care ritual involves 2 hours / three times a week in a ballet class.

I have had trouble disconnecting from my work (more so with past employers). I found that ballet takes such a level of concentration on what I am doing physically that I can't consciously think about anything else at the same time. 

I've been dancing for decades (amateur, not professional) and my class is made of adults both who had dance experience as children and who never tried ballet until they were well into their adult years. Our teacher is amazing and encouraging, while still challenging us to grow and get just a little bit better. We are all supportive of each other in the ballet studio, and have become friends outside of the studio too.

This self-care has been critical for me to maintain some semblance of work/life balance.

Like # people like this
Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2023

I wish my self care ritual could include a vacation, but I just took one of those so I've got to rely on other things. One of my self care rituals is building Lego sets. I just finished the Harry Potter set, the Hungarian Horntail dragon. It was so much fun and it turned out great! Another one is taking a hot bath with bath bombs, soothing music and lots of candles. So relaxing! I hope you get all the R&R you are craving @Esther Strom!

Like # people like this
Craig Nodwell
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2023

A hot-tub and a jukebox.  This is my daily self-care ritual.  They clear the mind, heal the skin, and sooth the soul.

Like # people like this
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 26, 2023

My self-care ritual is to go to the gym at least three times a week. 

On the weekend I prefer to stay in the company of friends and go for walks. Long days at home, especially during smartworking, make us feel like lab rats :)

Like Summer_Hogan likes this
Justyna Gdowik _ Deviniti _
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 26, 2023

If there's spring/summer I absolutely love taking care of my plants in the garden. 🌿 The process of nurturing and watching your plants grow can bring a sense of joy and accomplishment🌱(even if the backlog doesn't 😂). Plus, being surrounded by nature can have a calming effect on the mind and help reduce stress. 🌼

Like # people like this
Wojciech Andryszek_Deviniti July 4, 2023

My self-care ritual is permanent. I try not to be stiff and don't care while doing my best. And backlog?! It should have its own ritual because of me. ;) At least most of the time.

Like Summer_Hogan likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events