cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Friday Fun - Community Service Day

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 3, 2022

When looking at cool things that happen around the world on November 4 I found community service day in Dominica.  From what I read every November 4 is a national day of community service where individuals are encouraged to provide service within their communities.  

Actively engaging and serving the communities to which we belong is a great way to make the world a better place.   We have the opportunity to physically serve in our local communities or serve others online through digital communities, like the Atlassian Community.

If you are reading this discussion then you are participating in the Atlassian Community, thank you.

ways-to-be-thankful

What makes any community great is the diversity of its membership and all the little things that members do to serve one another.

For the Friday Fun discussion today please share a community you belong to and how you serve others in that community.

6 comments

Comment

Saralie S.
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
November 3, 2022

Oooh I Love this topic! Thank you for sharing @Brant Schroeder  

Like # people like this
Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 3, 2022

I am part of a local cycling club that has membership in the 75-85 person range. One of our core tenets is giving back through cycling. We all volunteer our time to train newer riders by acting as road captains and guides on rides for less experienced riders. We also all volunteer our time and efforts to fundraise for a few charitable organizations that provide services to our local community through Bike Tours and Bike-A-Thons. In the past decade we have raised over 10 million dollars to benefit these organizations, and the participation and contribution have increased every year (with a slight dip in 2020). It's a privilege and pleasure to be able to give back in such a significant way through my membership in this club.

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 4, 2022

@Andy Gladstone that is amazing.  Keep up the great work.  This really puts a purpose to getting out and riding.

Like # people like this
Summer Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 4, 2022

Great topic @Brant Schroeder and Happy Friday to you! 

I am currently participating in a Pro Bono Marathon! In case you don't know what a Pro Bono Marathon is, it is skills-based volunteering where myself and a team will use our professional experience and skills to support a non profit organization. We are using our unique perspectives and expertise to help a nonprofit organization capture and manage essential donor information to streamline and organize their CRM database. I am doing this with 4 other volunteers from my company and we have a total of 10 hours over two days to do discovery and provide the non profit a solution. It is so much fun and I find it extremely rewarding! 

Like # people like this
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 4, 2022

@Summer Hogan outstanding.  That is a great idea to help out local organizations.  I am sure that you have a lot to offer and they will be grateful for what you are able to do for them.

Like # people like this
Summer Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 4, 2022

Thanks @Brant Schroeder 

Like # people like this
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 5, 2022

May I ask how you get matched with or find the non profit? It's such a great idea!

Like # people like this
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 5, 2022

Hi @Brant Schroeder !

Great thread and thank you for posting this question! I really hope this thread will encourage other people into doing something voluntary and help others :)

I'm part of a blood donation organization, as well as I'm a registered blood donor on the national archives. The good thing about the blood donor organization I'm in, is first of all that it encourages other people into donating blood. This blood is then forward to all hospitals/persons in need. And of course, this keeps going. One of the benefit of this organization is that if a close person of mine has a need of blood, then I can just make a quick phone call, and X bags of blood will be send to him/her. Then I have to replenish the blood bags :)

Like # people like this
Kerli Loopman
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2022

I donate my blood too :) 

Like # people like this
carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 5, 2022

Cool discussion topic - thanks for posting @Brant Schroeder !

Martin Luther King Jr Day in the US is also a day of service (3rd Monday in January). More here: https://www.doi.gov/pmb/eeo/mlk-day-service

At my current company (Tempo), I'm on the Giving committee and help organize ways to give back to the local community. In a few weeks, we are packing and wrapping gifts in shoeboxes for local women's shelters in Montreal. Other offices are doing similar projects to give back to local communities. It's part of the 1% pledge.  https://www.shoeboxproject.ca/home 

Like # people like this
Kerli Loopman
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 6, 2022

I am helping out one non-profit organization with their web page and other IT stuff. The organization makes activities, summer camps, christmas parties for kids in Estonia who don't have a father. https://www.isatalasteheaks.ee 

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events