cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bugs - Ya gotta love 'em!

Susan Waldrip
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 8, 2024

Bugs, bugs, bugs! They’re everywhere – in your yard, in your house (at least occasionally), even in your Jira configurations and software! Insect bugs and software bugs can be a source of fascination and an interesting challenge, or they can wreak a lot of havoc and just ruin your day, right? Well, I prefer to focus on their more positive aspects, and thought I’d share some bugs I’ve discovered since I moved to New Mexico, USA!

cat-faced orb weaver.jpg Cat-faced Orb Weavers – We have these under the eaves of our house during summer and fall – their abdomen really does look like a cat face! The female seems to stay near the same location where she was born, weaving a small web that grows in size and complexity as she grows into an adult. She lays her eggs near the web and then dies. When the eggs hatch, there are dozens to a few hundred baby orb weavers walking in her web, many of which get blown to other parts of the area where they begin their lives.

assassin bug20.jpg Assassin bugs – These little guys are nasty! They hunt in plants and foliage for other insects, then quickly attack and kill them in pretty horrific ways, hence their name. They’re beautiful to look at and are extremely efficient hunters, but can give an unforgettably painful bite with their single fang.

vinegaroon.jpg Vinegaroons – Also known as whip-tail scorpions, they’re actually spiders that look like scorpions but have no stinger and instead of using venom when irritated, they spray acid from their abdomens. I’ve only seen one “live”, and that was enough for me!

tarantula crop15.jpg   tarantula hawk wasp35.jpg

Tarantulas & Tarantula Hawk Wasps – These gently, hairy spiders are most often seen in August when the males emerge from the ground and go in search of a mate. Here’s a photo I took of one crossing our yard last month. Unfortunately, our state insect likes them a lot. It's so named because it preys on tarantulas which are about eight times its own size. It tends to leave humans alone, and that’s a good thing because it's said to have one of the most painful stings of any insect on the planet.

swallowtail butterfly crop08.jpg Swallowtails – We have a lot of different swallowtails, all beautiful! I took this photo at my favorite brewery after they’d watered the plants, not sure what kind it is.

So what are the coolest, weirdest, or most beautiful bugs you’ve encountered, where did you see them, and why do they “bug” you (good or bad)? Maybe you have a funny or scary story, or a great photo of an intriguing little friend? Please share!

6 comments

Comment

Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2024

I love seeing all the monarchs lately who are preparing for their big migration. I definitely prefer butterflies over any other creepy crawlies. (Also prefer all those creep crawlies to any bugs in our software!) 

Like # people like this
Susan Waldrip
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 9, 2024

Hi @Amanda Barber , I agree re: the creepy crawlies over software bugs!

Like Amanda Barber likes this
Sherilyn Tasker September 10, 2024

I just saw my first monarch today for the summer season here, very early ! I quickly had to cover up my swan plants so they have a chance to grow before the caterpillars annihilate them :)

Like Susan Waldrip likes this
Sandra Franchetto September 8, 2024

Ohhh love the Vinegaroons. Being a Scorpion I love there's another bug that looks like one and a whip-tail too. Alas it takes alot for me to whip my tail. 🤣

Like # people like this
Susan Waldrip
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 9, 2024

HAAAA! @Sandra Franchetto , you're probably one of the few people who likes Vinegaroons! Although I was mesmerized when I saw my first one, I'd never seen anything like it. Thanks for posting!

Like # people like this
Rebekka Heilmann _viadee_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2024

I love peacock butterflies. 

I saw loads as a child and then almost none for quite a while, until i mentioned them on a walk and started to see loads all the time (-> Attentional bias).

Now I know of specific walks where I will always see some of them and lots of other species as well.

Like # people like this
Susan Waldrip
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 9, 2024

Hi @Rebekka Heilmann _viadee_ , those are beautiful butterflies! Thanks for posting!

Like # people like this
Sandra Franchetto September 9, 2024

@Susan Waldrip Alas Susan bugs are often misunderstood like me so thanks for seeing the Scorpion for who she really is rather than thinking you know who she is. Bugs only attack as a defence mechanism and to protect themselves. Some plants do the same thing which is why humans end up sick when eating them. When I was a child in Qld, there was a Scorpion in my home protecting me. I wanted to get a pet Scorpion but wasn't sure if a Scorpion would play nicely with cats and dogs and vice versa. 😅🤣😂🐈🐈‍⬛🐈🐕🐩🫶

Like # people like this
Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 9, 2024

Where I live in Florida, it is currently the late summer love bug season. There is also a spring season.

lovebugs.jpg

In recent years, I have seen a lot fewer of them, which is nice, since their main function seems to be getting smashed on the front of your car and windshield. They are really hard to clean off your car, but you need to get them off so that they don't ruin the paint.

Like # people like this
Susan Waldrip
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 9, 2024

Hi @Barbara Szczesniak, I'd say "poor bugs" but at least they have TWO love bug seasons. ☺️

Like Barbara Szczesniak likes this
Sandra Franchetto September 9, 2024

So taken by the Vinegaroons, I didnt take much notice of others. My bad. 😢

Who doesn't love a bug that looks like a cat? 😻

I think there should be Atlassian bugs but they will be very, very nice and you will want them on your computer. 💻

I have known to catch spiders or let them crawl over me. Actually been compared to Dr Doolittle cause I talk to the animals and they gather round me perplexing people around me. 🤣

Swallowtails are lucky and so am I.

Wishing you all a bug full day. 🫶 I might notice them everywhere. They call me the Magician for a reason. It's my pleasure. 😍

Like # people like this
Sherilyn Tasker September 10, 2024

We have a native insect here in NZ called the Weta. (for LOTR fans it's what Peter Jackson's Weta Workshops was named after). It's not poisonous , it's fairly docile and doesn't fly but I'm still not comfortable picking one up ! An endangered species, there are about 70 species. Not beautiful but still very loved. 

weta.png

Like # people like this
Susan Waldrip
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 11, 2024

Wow @Sherilyn Tasker, what a beauty! It looks built for maximum protection against anything, with the plates along its body and spikes on its legs and what looks like a stinger in the back. Not a surprise you don't want to pick one up. Thanks for sharing this pic!

Like Sherilyn Tasker likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events