Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Miscellaneous Monday: Which celebration do you have to share?

Good time zone, Atlassian Community! 🌞

When I started looking for the topic for this Miscellaneous Monday, I first decided to check what is celebrated today… And voilà! Today is the National Lasagna Day, the National Chicken Wing Day, and the National Lipstick Day. So many celebrations in one day! 

It reminded me of the situation in my life that everyone around me has birthdays on the same day, which makes celebration sometimes difficult. 

For example, when I was a kid I always celebrated my birthday with my neighbor - we were born on the same day with a difference in a few years.  For our friends, it was a nightmare to attend two parties at the same time, so we usually had to celebrate together to make their lives easier.

when-your-friend-5a4a90.jpg

(The meme isn't mine, it's taken from Makeameme)

Let’s move on further… my friend gave birth to her daughter on my daughter’s birthday. As they have some mutual friends now they have “birthday wars” - who is going to be the first to invite their friends :) 

More? My husband shares a birthday with my aunt’s husband, my granny shares a birthday with two of my friends, my mum shares her day with my classmates, and my mother-in-law shares her b-day with 3 of my friends. So, I usually have a pretty tough time before celebrations :)

Do you have a few celebrations on the same day? And how are you struggling with such situations?

btw, Happy Lasagna Day! Happy Chicken Wing Day! And Happy Lipstick Day!

10 comments

Comment

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2024

Yikes! That's a lot going on there - I think I will just eat some wings and lasagna today and be happy.  :-)

Actually, I have a brother and sister who share a birthday - 3 years a part. They are both much older and my brother was already out of the house by the time I have any memory of things. So no real conflicts there, but I as sure family-wise, those birthdays got shared together. 

Growing up, we really didn't celebrate on the actual birthday anyway - it was always the Sunday after the birthday so all of our local family could join and celebrate. 

Like # people like this
Stephen_Lugton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2024

I have a couple of friends who have 2 children, their daughter was born on mum's birthday, while the son was born on dad's birthday.

Like # people like this
Vronik
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2024

Hi

Wow, how complicated! I love lasagna, in fact it is one of my favorite dishes at home and it is made at least once a month, with a special family recipe.
The chicken wings marinated in barbecue sauce are crazy and lipstick is a must in my life, I am unable to leave the house without my mouth painted in the fiery red that I like so much.
What a day of celebrations and fantastic things that I love, a day that is super special to me is February 15th, that day my daughter was born, I met a very important person in my life, one of my best friends has a birthday, it is a very special day in my life.

Regards

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 29, 2024

Yum, lasagna!

Celebrate National Lasagna Day with Garfield! - GoComics

My birthday is in June. As a child, we always had all the summer birthdays celebrated on Father's Day. Now, I always hate when my birthday falls on Father's Day because I have to share the day with my husband, haha!

Like # people like this
Barbara Szczesniak
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 29, 2024

Well, my birthday is on Christmas, my brother's is sometimes on Thanksgiving, my sister's is sometimes on Father's Day, and my niece's is on Cinqo de Mayo. We are adept at mixing our celebrations. 

I'm thinking chicken wings for dinner tonight, but I'm going to try to stop thinking about it now, since that's 5 hours away! 😁

Like # people like this
Shawn Doyle - ReleaseTEAM
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2024

Yikes, that is a lot of overlaps.  I don't think I have any in the immediate family, I do have some employees' birthdays that overlap with major holidays.

Like # people like this
Sherilyn Tasker July 29, 2024

The birthday paradox is interesting. if you survey a random group of just 23 people there is actually about a 50–50 chance that two of them will have the same birthday. This is known as the birthday paradox. Don't believe it's true? You can test it and see mathematical probability in action!

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/bring-science-home-probability-birthday-paradox/

Like # people like this
Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 29, 2024

Hmmm we don't have many celebrations that fall on the same day (does that make us lucky), but in my family and my wife's family my birthday is a few days after my mother-in-law's birthday, but our friends do not overlap so it's fine.

My sister-in-law's birthday comes 2 weeks after new years, so after the holiday break no one really wants to celebrate, so her birthday is celebrated during the holidays.

I have a friend whose birthday is 3 days before December 25 (Christmas), and since he's an adult he doesn't really care (and everyone forgets :O).

So no same-day birthdays with overlapping friends, but some birthdays are lumped closer together or to big holidays that it's easier to combine into one.

Also, I dreamt a long time ago that I would celebrate each national day that was on the calendar, but realized that this vegetarian (no chicken wings) who doesn't wear lipstick and rarely eats lasagna wouldn't even make it through today.

Hope y'all eat some lasagna/wings for me!

Like # people like this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 30, 2024

This one's for you(r oldest) @Amanda Barber 

Garfield - Birthday Reminder.jpg

Like # people like this
Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 30, 2024

Thank you, @Dave Mathijs - shared with her!

Pin page

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events