Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mailto link markdown

hientran92 April 8, 2021

I have this mailto link markdown in my Trello card that works for ages

[hientran\@clientdiary.com](mailto:hientran@clientdiary.com?subject=Test)

That will gives hientran@clientdiary.com with the mailto link with subject prefilled.

However, just today, when hovering on it, the browser link preview at the bottom left corner shows "invalid-mailto:hientran@clientdiary.com?subject=Test". Hence, when clicking, it opens an empty new tab.

Any ideas what happened? Was it an update from Trello that breaks it?

Thanks

9 answers

0 votes
Client Care March 4, 2023

I am also suddenly having this problem! :(

Pflieger Arnaud March 15, 2023

It still works here. Double check your markdown ;)

0 votes
Pflieger Arnaud November 12, 2021

🖐 People, it has been fixed!

🎉🍾

0 votes
Cody C.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 28, 2021

I'm not entirely sure the issue, but I think this may be due to Chrome not prompting for a Handler for mailto links. I saw exactly what you all are mentioning, then checked my Handlers in Chrome under Settings > Privacy and security > Site settings > Additional permissions > Handlers and I noticed there was nothing listed there. Even though I had the option "Allows sites to ask" enabled, I wasn't being prompted to add one.

Here's the fix that worked for me. As a test, try going to Gmail and clicking the Handler icon in the URL bar, then allow Gmail to handle email links:

13-33-01.png

Head back over to Trello and see if those mailto links aren't working as expected. I'm not 100% sure how those are created or handled for external email apps, but hopefully that gets us all on the right track.

Pflieger Arnaud June 28, 2021

I reset the gmail handler as you said but I still get mailto link addresses as 'invalid-mailto:...'

Note that if I edit the html of the link on the card to remove this 'invalid-' prefix, it just works

0 votes
Cédric Taxis Verts June 24, 2021

Has anyone found a solution? It seems that whenever there is a topic or a body Outlook does not open. Chrome opens a tab: about:blank. thanks for your help

Pflieger Arnaud June 24, 2021

Nope. Trello just became a lot more painful to use.

0 votes
Adrian Evans May 6, 2021

Has this been raised as a bug, as something has obviously changed that needs fixing?

Pflieger Arnaud May 6, 2021

I reported it to the support but I didn't get any anwser

Jason Chee May 6, 2021

I reported it. Here's support's answer on 19 April.

Thanks for taking the time to send us that bug report! I was able to reproduce what you're seeing, and I'll pass it on to the team for additional investigation.

While I don't have an ETA on when a fix for the issue will be pushed, as soon as one is available, we will deploy it.

Jason Chee May 6, 2021

I ended up not waiting for a fix, anyway. Changed my script to toLower() the emails before adding to my board.

0 votes
Jason Chee April 15, 2021

Never had this issue till recent, an update must have broken it.

The email addresses in my cards do not have query strings. Half of them have the "invalid-" appended to the mailto and half don't, it's very inconsistent.

Hoping for a fix.

Edit: I noticed a pattern for my case. If the email address starts capitalized, it will be parsed as "invalid-mailto" (e.g. Test@example.com is invalid, test@example.com is valid).

0 votes
Hannah D Dexter April 13, 2021

Has anyone heard anything more on this? I have been experiencing the same issue, and have been unable to solve for it, except if I don't have the subject line pre-populate, which is not super helpful.

0 votes
Pflieger Arnaud April 13, 2021

Same here. 

It seems that it's when the url contains query parameters.

😬😬😬

0 votes
Becca Lanning April 9, 2021

Hello!  I also am having this issue with coded mailto links.  But I also have another similar issue.  Almost all the regular email addresses (emails just on the card, not specifically a mailto link) on our trello cards are producing an "invalid-mailto" when we try to click.  However, for us, it appears that its only happening on email addresses containing capital letters -- once we swap to lowercase, the links works fine.  But is rather annoying to have to change all our system flows to correct this.  

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events