Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is desktop dark mode at?

Woofer21 August 31, 2021

Why has dark mode for desktop clients taken so long? I've seen a request back from 2018 where they said they would pass it on, it has been 3 years, seriously, where is dark mode, my eyes need help. It's not a super difficult task to accomplish, you have it on mobile clients, I don't see why you cant have it on desktop clients.

3 answers

6 votes
Laszlo Heredy February 18, 2022

Please make dark mode! I'm going blind looking at this screen!!

Philipp Dörfler September 7, 2022

+1

Like # people like this
4 votes
noosens September 28, 2022

Behind the "we have others priorities and we are doing already a lot of stuff" excuse, all I can hear as a photosensitive person is "We do not care about your accessibility needs that most of other apps on the market are well aware of nowadays".

I expected better.

3 votes
Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 1, 2021

"Why has x taken so long? It's not a super difficult task to accomplish..."

The straight answer is that the priority of this feature is not high enough for it to be implemented versus the other priorities that we have in the product.  Ultimately, that's the unfulfilling answer to any time the question is asked "This is so easy! why didn't you do this!" - the real answer is because we did a lot of other things.  Trust me, we have this conversation daily about 100s of other things that we'd like to do but because of opportunity costs and limited resources we cannot do.  We even have a chat room called #what-if-trello where we throw out ideas for "what if Trello did x?".  We have 24 hour hackathons and entire weeks devoted to innovation, but this particular feature hasn't ever made it past the line when considering strategic tradeoffs.

I know this answer doesn't really help you with this particular feature request, but part of "Open Company, No Bullshit" value means explaining things directly and that's the honest answer.

Woofer21 September 2, 2021

Thanks for the answer, I wish it would have been more like "it's coming soon" but I appreciate you still answering my question.

Like # people like this
Emilia Brzezińska September 15, 2021

I am also asking for the implementation of the night mode as soon as possible. I think that so many users have been asking for this for so long that it's high time to move this priority to the top shelf. It's nice that you've added other extra features / improvements, but so what? I can't even work with the basic functions because my eyes hurt !!. And it's hard to work on the phone for a long time.

Please make the DARK MODE the highest priority !!

Like # people like this
Piotr Grabiec November 1, 2021

I also would like the Trello Devs to move the Dark Mode on the priority list. Trello is the LAST app that I use on my Mac that does not have Dark Mode support (and was the last one more than a year ago tbh).

I was even using sideloaded Trello app for iPadOS on my Mac Mini with M1 chip in the past, but Trello blocked that, so I’m back to this awful white background. Now I am simply annoyed every time I have to use the app at work.

I moved my personal projects to other apps because of this issue, but I have to use Trello because of my company needs - but you can also guess, what’s my recommendation, if someone ask me about Trello now.

Like # people like this
Piotr Grabiec November 1, 2021

@Michael Pryor some food for thought: maybe your users are not telling you specifically that Dark Mode support is on their own priority list, because people that really want dark mode… are not your customers anymore?

If we are honest with each other, I’d say that if I could switch your app to some other service, that have Dark Mode support implemented, I would do that in a heartbeat (but I can’t because of my company needs).

One can also only wonder, how many Trello users (or potential users?) are moving to some other software, just because they don’t want an app that does not have Dark Mode in 2021.

Like # people like this
Renato Guimaraes January 6, 2022

+1 for dark/night mode for desktop/non-mobile platforms.

Like # people like this
Laszlo Heredy February 18, 2022

Please make dark mode! I'm going blind looking at this screen!!

Like # people like this
Chris Velazquez-Gomez March 21, 2022

I have very sensitive eyes and work at night. A dark mode would be much appreciated 

Like # people like this
Zziyan XXeno June 7, 2022

Simple and easier solution:

Download Opera GX 
Go to settings > Force Dark Pages 

Instead of demanding and not understanding what its like to develop things, there's other solutions in the meantime.

Even though, Opera GX a gaming browser, its honestly better and customizable than Edge, Firefox and Chrome imo.

Hope this helps yalls eyes.

Like Aharon W Smith likes this
Zziyan XXeno June 7, 2022

1.PNG2.PNG

Aharon W Smith June 13, 2022

I would recommend dark mode for the desktop app as well, I would even be willing to pay a one time fee for this feature.  ($5-$10 USD)

Like Deb Duffin likes this
James Padilla September 4, 2022

Really? Honest answer? Half your community is made up of devs. I barely started using trello literally just because it didn't have dark mode.

"Strategic Tradeoff"? Really? At least be honest, this is all just corporate bs. 10 hours implementing dark mode shouldn't be that hard with a full team. What an absolute load of nonsense.

Philipp Dörfler September 7, 2022

I saw so many People requesting it how can it not be higher in Priority?

Like Sasank Desaraju likes this
John Nolan October 26, 2022

Personally, I wish you did allow Dark Mode as a user setting, my poor eyes, I don't get how we are in 2022 and this is not something that you think is worthwhile doing. I always want to close my Confluence tabs as quickly as possible as the white is too overwhelming for me. I think accessibility is highly important and should not be of low priority, and currently you lack this.

Like # people like this
Kelley Kirtley January 14, 2023

I downloaded Trello and made an account under the erroneous assumption that this app came with a standard dark mode option.  I've been searching around and from what I can tell, it bafflingly, maddeningly, is not an option.  I'm going to uninstall this app before I even try it.  It looked promising.

Marco B. January 25, 2023

+1 for signing up only to remove it again after reading this thread. It's the worst when dev teams and P.O.s fall into the mode of "Won't do because 'no one' is asking for it" It's when companies get too large stop innovating, thinking their loyal customer base will stay loyal forever. Wonder how the world would look like if everyone kept stopping at "no one is asking for it" Glad there are still companies that are still innovating today, even some of the bigger ones. It's those little details that count.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events