Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trello Butler. Copy card to board without Labels and link. (Not: First copy and then remove labels)

Guido van Santen April 21, 2022

I need to be able to copy trello cards (using butler) to another board without labels  and link them.
but

- there is no (butler) option for me to copy the card without Labels. (I am only able to select without comments).
- The workaround would be to first copy the card, then remove its labels. But the removed labels are now visible in the label selection panel of the board this card has been copied to. This is not desired. So the workaround is no real workaround.

Can you please help me out as this is a big issue for us?

3 answers

1 vote
Tracy Logan September 14, 2023

I agree! I can automate removing the labels from the card when moved from board 1 to board 2, however it still puts the unwanted labels into the label list. Each of our boards have unique labels to that board so when we move them around, we don't want to bring the labels over and clutter up the labels on the destination board. This is so frustrating.

0 votes
Felix
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 21, 2022

A workaround might be to copy the card (with labels) on the same board, then remove the labels, and then copy the new card (now with no labels) to the other board?

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2022

@Felix Good idea

Good suggestion. I will try to set this up and let you know how it worked out.

WG Trello Admin May 4, 2023

I like this idea too, There is an automation option under "add/remove" to "remove all the labels from the card"

You could also just "move" the new label free card to the new board once it is created, then you don't have to remove the surplus copy from the initial board.

Like Guido van Santen likes this
Mark Cronin October 2, 2023

Hi, I am having a similar problem that I don't want to create labels on the board I am copying to, therefore I am copying the card to a list on its initial board then using rules to remove the labels, prior to copying the card to the new board.

However I then have no possibility to create a link between the original card and the final card, as I've created an interim card to copy.

I also can't trigger the archive of the interim card that I no longer need, because as soon as I set the copy function for the new board, any following instructions apply to this card and not the interim card.

I have tried Placker workflow as well, but that also comes with its unique set of problems. Which I won't go into here.

It would seem so simple just to have a selection option for Copy, so you could select what you wanted to copy. i.e don't create new labels.

Also do not want to get into development if I can help it.

Any advice gratefully received.

Like Guido van Santen likes this
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2023

@Mark Cronin 

Sounds like if you need to add link with {triggercardlink} after the first copy and remove stuff you do not need …before you second copy that might work. On the receiving board, try find {sourcecardlink} after the card had landed there to archive that card(it should be second/interim card)

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 2, 2023

@Mark Cronin 

As you cannot be sure that the commands execute in sequence you might want to have a separate trigger to create the second copy on the target board. 💪💪💪

Hi 

Adding the link to the interim copy card, will still not allow me to link from the initial card to the final card, so I don't think this solves my issue. The problem being there is no relationship between last and final, Trello doesn't understand that I am trying to do anything between those two cards, they are completely disconnected.

I'm not sure I understand this point "On the receiving board, try find {sourcecardlink} after the card had landed there to archive that card(it should be second/interim card)"  Can you do this without programming?

I had thought about a second trigger, but I hit the same issue, in order to set a second trigger on the original card, I need to tell Trello to revert to the that card. Once Trello has switched the instructions across to the copied card, there doesn't seem to be anyway of getting back.

After Copy Card - Automatically all instructions thereafter are on the copied card and not the original card

Thanks,

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 2, 2023

@Mark Cronin 

Oh you want from the first to the last. I think if you have a last to the first it would be easily to add it after the card lands on the second board using the last as the trigger card. Try it

Really no idea what you mean, I know I can set a trigger when the new card is added on the receipt board, copied from the interim card.

However how can I use that trigger when the card is added, to create a link back to the original card on the other board.

If this is possible could you send me the text as it would appear in the automation. 

Thanks, Mark

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 2, 2023

@Mark Cronin 

This is only the basic code... did not attempt to remove labels or anything not wanted on the target board

Source boad -> Staged

copy the card to the top of list "Staged", add link "{triggercardlink}", and copy the card to the top of list "Build" on board "Automator

At Automator

when a card is added to list "Build", find the last card linked in the attachments, add link "{triggercardlink}", find a card with link "{sourcecardlink}", and archive the card

OK I'm getting there, copying the link into the interim card, does therefore allow me to copy the link to flow into the final card.  So the final card now has a link to the initial card.

I'm also now moving the interim card into the final board, so I no longer need to worry about archiving. The steps are now copy and then move, so only two cards in the process.

Final issue is, is there anyway to automate the connection  between the two cards,

At the moment Card 2, has a link back to Card 1, but Card 1 does not have a link to card 2

Thanks

WG Trello Admin October 2, 2023

When you copy a card using the automation rules, you should have an option to "link the cards together" this creates a link both ways, ie "triggercard to copycard" and "copycard to triggercard" 

Screenshot 2023-10-03 085301.jpg

You can trigger this copy automation using any of the triggers available, or if its something you want to manually activate, build a card button.

All sorted now thanks

0 votes
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 21, 2022

@Guido van Santen 

The option is there when you use the api

If using idCardSource you can specify which properties to copy over. all or comma-separated list of: attachments,checklists,customFields,comments,due,labels,members,start,stickers

If I am not mistake create new will allow you to be selective but if your have CFs or attachments it will be a problem,

So it seems thats the only option is to use http request using the Trello API or a endpoint that does this for you.

Thank you, I do not think using the API is going to work for me.
I'd like to get this to work without development.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events