Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Sync checklists - On one board all card checklists synced to a one master checklist

The end goal

My Trello board has many cards.

In that single board, some cards have checklists, with specific title "Shopping".

I want a card, for examle "MASTER CARD" to show one master "Shopping" checklist which includes "Shopping" list items from all other cards.

2 way sync - if I edit a list on a card, it will edit list on the "MASTER CARD"

Question

Is there any way to do it without using Trello API? I checked into Automation but I feel like I have not enough rules to achieve this. Specially 2 way.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

@tiblu 

Not specific to your scenario, I have worked on one without the use of API. It is one directional. For bi-directional you need to be careful not to go into a loop.   For 2 way, which is obviously more challenging, i used webhooks and that means some code at the endpoint. If you have more than 100 (or 150) links, Trello iteration through a checklist of cardlinks will not work. The other challenge is how to maintain the cross references when new cards are added. 

The other issue will be same checklist or item names. These are only identifiable by iD and the list not relationship across them. 

You are probably aware that there is Unito. 

Thanks for the swift response!

Thank you for confirming that 2-way requires use of the API. Also good to know about the Trellos iteration limits.

I am aware that there is Unito, but by the description (never tested) it syncs between 2 boards, but not in the same board and specifically checklists.

I MAY reconsider my workflow so that the MASTER SHOPPING card is on another board, which would actually make sense, as the real life use case is that I have several Trello boards for projects running in parallel. Each of them require shopping. So instead of each project (board) having a MASTER SHOPPING card, my company's board could hold the MASTER SHOPPING card that would be a merge from specific project boards.

@tiblu 

I would encourage you to try to work with Unito as it is proven. Go for a custom solution only if necessary. A 1-many with 2 way can be quite tricky. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Trello

Taco Tuesday: New years' resolutions with Trello

Congratulations to @Laura Holton , our latest winner of Taco Tuesday! And thanks to @Kristján Geir Mathiesen for sharing the picture of Taco having fun with his new friend  B...

2,399 views 28 41
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you