Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync checklists - On one board all card checklists synced to a one master checklist

tiblu
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 29, 2021

The end goal

My Trello board has many cards.

In that single board, some cards have checklists, with specific title "Shopping".

I want a card, for examle "MASTER CARD" to show one master "Shopping" checklist which includes "Shopping" list items from all other cards.

2 way sync - if I edit a list on a card, it will edit list on the "MASTER CARD"

Question

Is there any way to do it without using Trello API? I checked into Automation but I feel like I have not enough rules to achieve this. Specially 2 way.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2021

@tiblu 

Not specific to your scenario, I have worked on one without the use of API. It is one directional. For bi-directional you need to be careful not to go into a loop.   For 2 way, which is obviously more challenging, i used webhooks and that means some code at the endpoint. If you have more than 100 (or 150) links, Trello iteration through a checklist of cardlinks will not work. The other challenge is how to maintain the cross references when new cards are added. 

The other issue will be same checklist or item names. These are only identifiable by iD and the list not relationship across them. 

You are probably aware that there is Unito. 

tiblu
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 30, 2021

Thanks for the swift response!

Thank you for confirming that 2-way requires use of the API. Also good to know about the Trellos iteration limits.

I am aware that there is Unito, but by the description (never tested) it syncs between 2 boards, but not in the same board and specifically checklists.

I MAY reconsider my workflow so that the MASTER SHOPPING card is on another board, which would actually make sense, as the real life use case is that I have several Trello boards for projects running in parallel. Each of them require shopping. So instead of each project (board) having a MASTER SHOPPING card, my company's board could hold the MASTER SHOPPING card that would be a merge from specific project boards.

milynnus
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2021

@tiblu 

I would encourage you to try to work with Unito as it is proven. Go for a custom solution only if necessary. A 1-many with 2 way can be quite tricky. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events