Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring the checklist

agy rudel June 17, 2020

Hi All,

I have removed a checklist from my company Trello by mistake and I'm trying to retrieve it. I read there is the way, but I might not have a permission to do that. Do you know what to do it that situation? https://www.process.st/help/docs/recover-deleted-checklists-and-templates/#:~:text=To%20restore%20a%20checklist%20from,%2C%20and%20click%20'restore'. The thing is, when I go to the Activity tab I don't have that drop-down button. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Agy

10 answers

2 votes
Per Sundstedt January 4, 2021

Hi Atlassian/Trello admins,

I had  the same problem, is this for real?

All applications 2021 has some kind of recover options.. please fix this, all can do wrong and by mistake click on delete checklist. (Experience from work with Jira, TFS, Easit and many more)

regards

Per Sundstedt

Trevor Hawks February 4, 2021

Same problem as Sundstedt.

It's far too easy to delete an entire checklist and impossible to get it back.  Seems like a short archive would be something that should be implemented

Like # people like this
Graham Lindsay July 14, 2021

I agree I rely heavily on checklists as templates (ie they are parked on a mastercard template for regular use.)  If I create a new card from card template then choose one of my detailed checklists by mistake then I am stuck OR I press delete button and its gone forever from my Card Template and everywhere else.  Hope someone may have answer or workaround. 

Like Alok Kumar likes this
Kayvon Sadaghiani May 10, 2022

I also just accidentally deleted a checklist on a Trello Card. Wish Trello had a feature or power-up to undo this.  

1 vote
agy rudel June 17, 2020

I think I have fond the answer: In order to recover deleted templates and checklists, you must be an admin of the organization.

Ki Business & Tech October 28, 2021

@agy rudel I am and still can't recover it so far.

Like Daniel Tan likes this
Grainne Barron May 25, 2022

same! 

0 votes
Meredith Donaldson
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 22, 2024

WHAT THE HELL TRELLO. THIS IS OBVIOUSLY A PROBLEM. WHERE ARE THE FIXES?!

0 votes
anamaljkovicdemchuk July 29, 2023

Hi everyone, I just made this stupid mistake, too...  I just submitted a ticket to Trello support (they don't have a phone number, and don't work weekends), I will post here whatever answer I get. But seeing your comments here is very discouraging so far😣

anamaljkovicdemchuk August 8, 2023

Hi everyone, if you click on Delete Checklist in Trello, it actually says that it can't be undone. I contacted the support people in hopes that they can use their super-power and get it back, but they can't. 

0 votes
Edwina Vidosh June 21, 2023

It's 2023.. Can checklist be recovered? 

0 votes
Janet Barron November 11, 2022

I just googled 'recover deleted checklist Trello' because while attempting to delete ONE item in the checklist of 17 items in my 90 Plan, I deleted the ENTIRE list. It warned me, but the warning was ambiguous and did not say it would yeet my entire checklist. Why (!!!!!) is there no undo/recovery function???? I thought I might be able to recreate my checklist items from my logged activities, but sadly, items added to checklists are not captured. 

0 votes

Suggest we all tweet to Atlassian - FIX the deleted checklist by accident issue. It's been years. I have now lost years of work creating a checklist with links that took so long to create and which I've been adding to for several years - GONE! whilst trying on my iPhone to just delete ONE item on the checklist. It deleted the ENTIRE checklist. 

JEZA January 27, 2023

did you find a way???

0 votes
Nightswim September 27, 2021

Why is my checklist deleted when I go to delete multiple items on my checklist? And now I can't get it back? What the actual flying fish? 

0 votes
Alok Kumar July 14, 2021

Agree it's 2021 and this small solution is not available to us. I've also accidently press delete on a checklist item and it is gone forever. Not even on export json feature. Will be migrating to notion if it happens again

Nightswim September 27, 2021

I'm curious if the same thing happened to you - I clicked multiple items and clicked the most obvious and only option to delete them all that I could find.. and instead the whole checklist got deleted... 

DAMN! I just searched how to retrieve a checklist when I was only trying to delete one of the items on the checklist - instead, it deleted my ENTIRE CHECKLIST which I've been adding to for years!! So this has been a known issue for years now and Atlassian not fixed? I also did it from my Mobile phone (iPhone) so there's no undo option. 

Are accidentally deleted checklists DEF GONE FOREVER??? 

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2020

@agy rudel that link is to documentation for Process St which isn't a part of Trello (nor Atlassian AFAIK) however there's no way to recover a deleted checklist in Trello (if that's what you're after) but you can see a history of the name of the checklist that was added to a card in its history, and you can also see the name of any checklist items that were completed in the card's history, so you can partially recover it.

agy rudel June 17, 2020

Hello Iain, Thank you for your response. You are right, I got this link totally wrong. When you say history, do you mean activity? If not, can you advise on this please. Many Thanks. Agy

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2020

@agy rudel yes in the card activity (and board activity) you can see when a checklist is added to a card and deleted, and you can see checklist item names that are completed (you can't see them as they're added, though, so you can't do a full recovery but you can piece together some of it)

Like agy rudel likes this
Ki Business & Tech October 28, 2021

Hi Iain, 

I have just accidently deleted a checklist too. Can you please tell me the reasoning behind the fact there is no recovery? It is way to easy to do by accident. 

I also accidently edited a card I copied last week and accidently deleted stuff on the original but I couldn't delete on the copied card and I only wanted to some of the comments remaining.

There SHOULD be some sort of revert / backup in place like there is on everything else?

Like Daniel Tan likes this
Edwina Vidosh June 21, 2023

Can you recover checklist now in 2023?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events