Label style/color changed, how can I change it back?

Erica Lake August 23, 2022

This morning Trello made me re-login and when I did all my labels showed up in a different style. They used to be solid colors with wording that said what the label was but now they show up with a dot next to the wording and the colors are lighter, almost pastel instead of the bright colors they used to be. Attached is a picture of what the labels look like now. 

Does anyone know how to get the labels changed back? I've tried looking in settings but can't find anything.

Screenshot (6)-01.jpg

8 answers

7 votes
Sarah Salenger September 13, 2022

I would also like to add that the addition of the dot adds visual noise to what was previously a fairly clean label. It makes it harder to read at a glance as the contrast between the text and the background color is lower, the text is smaller/less bold, and there is now another shape drawing my eye but not conveying any meaningful information. 

Vanessa Barnes September 14, 2022

Agreed! 

5 votes
emma_colson September 6, 2022

I agree with everyone else. I have a lot of cards, and the light pastel labels blend into the card making the tasks I had certain colours (like red) no longer stand out, it also makes it hard to use these labels for organisational purposes.

2 votes
PA_Dion September 14, 2022

How about giving the users a (1) A Color Picker (Ex #000000) (2) Text Picker (Ex#FFFFFF) then call it good...everyone is happy.

1 vote
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2022

@Erica Lake welcome to the community! it sounds like there are some changes going on with labels. A few rumors, but i don't know anything for sure. You're not the only one experiencing this, but not everyone is. I'll post back on here if/when I get a better answer of what's going on!

Panagiotis August 23, 2022

Exactly, these change affected all my boards but not my friends account. Also there are no settings regarding labels style. If you have any news, please let us know.

Like Julie D likes this
Ashley Klenke August 23, 2022

I am experiencing this change also. It is TERRIBLE. Plz halp!

Like # people like this
Phil Ginsburg August 23, 2022

I'm experiencing the same problem. It's hard to keep track of cards since the pastel colors are hard to read. Need this changed back to solid bold colors.  

Like # people like this
Julie D August 24, 2022

Trello - adding options is great, but please don't eliminate old ones! :)

Like # people like this
Erica Lake August 24, 2022

After contacting Atlassian-Trello Support this is the response I got:

"This change to labels is part of the new label experience that we're rolling out to Trello users at the moment, there's no way for you to turn this off"

Extremely disappointed with this. It's definitely a step in the wrong direction. I hope they at least give us the option to go back to the bold colors soon.

Like # people like this
Panagiotis August 24, 2022

@Erica Lake Can they at least answer if there is an option to chose between the old label style and the new? If not, it would be disappointing. 

Erica Lake August 24, 2022

From what they said sounds like we're stuck with the useless pastel colors for now. Hopefully enough people will complain and they'll at least give us the option for the old style labels. 

Like Panagiotis likes this

@Erica Lake Damn all the companies that spend their time making unnecessary visual changes. I guess I will send them an email too just to let them know about our frustration. Thanks for the feedback Erica.

Ashley Klenke August 24, 2022

Thank you for the answer Erica, sending an email now!

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2022

@Erica Lake @Panagiotis @Julie D @Phil Ginsburg @Ashley Klenke 

Just chatted with some folks on product at trello, and it sounds like they're in the process of rolling out some new features with labels and working out some kinks with it (as you heard from support). Although the part they left out is that this isn't the full update - there's more to come so we're just getting a bit of the picture here. 

In the meantime, I've volunteered to help funnel some feedback about this directly to them, so can you let me know a little more about what you're not liking about the labels so I can share that feedback? 

@Brittany Joiner Thanks Brittany for the support.

My reason for not liking this, is that the color palette is too soft and pastel. In my boards I have al lot of cards, and the general reason for using color codes is too stand out.

The new label style completely takes that away, and the label cannot be detected on a glimpse as before. If they want to make some changes, then don't force us to use specific non-productive colors, but give us an RGB palette where each user can choose their own colors. That would be an upgrade, not this!

Like # people like this
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 24, 2022

@Panagiotis got it, i see what you're saying. So if there were darker options would that solve the problem? 

And I believe the reason for not allowing custom colors is because it's really important to remain accessible for colorblind folks, so being able to add just any color would inhibit that. But don't worry - you're not alone in requesting/wanting that feature haha. 

Phil Ginsburg August 24, 2022

@Brittany JoinerThere is a great deal of difficulty in seeing labels that are pastel because they are way too light and makes it difficult to stay organized. Due to the contrast between the colors and the card text, Trello's previous use of bold, bright colors worked. It would be great if users could choose their own color themes with their own colors and the ability to bold or not to bold labels. More flexibility. 

Like # people like this
Phil Ginsburg August 24, 2022

If there is a concern for the colorblind that's another reason for having color templates to choose from. 

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 24, 2022

@Phil Ginsburg got it, i'll pass on that feedback!

Like Phil Ginsburg likes this

@Brittany Joiner The original colors where darker, so I guess yes. The dot they are using doesn't really has a purpose for me but it's fine I suppose.

If they are trying to add more on labels, at least use the original RGB colors.

Also what you are saying about color blind is basically set using symbols and the color doesn't really change anything. So I don't think having an RGB palette will change anything for color blind people.

You can see what I am talking about on the images bellow.

Blind.pngnoblind.png

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 24, 2022

@Panagiotis got it. noting the feedback, thanks!

How about giving the users a (1) A Color Picker (Ex #000000) (2) Text Picker (Ex#FFFFFF) then call it good...everyone is happy.

Like # people like this
Kristin Eichers April 18, 2023

PLEASE bring back the brighter primary colors on card backgrounds and on the labels.  I had RED for a reason - it meant that there is an urgency with a task. Now on my monitor, that looks like a peachy color.  Stupid.  Peach is usually associated with anything but urgency!  And now my new light purple (In Progress) label looks almost the same as my new light blue (Done) label so I cannot tell at a glance where we are across my who board.  All the colors are too close in hue and intensity to each other - a color blind users isn't going to be able to tell differences.  This was a HUGE miss on Trello/Atlassian's part.  Give us a way to choose: bright or muted.  I'm guessing most of us want bright.

Like Jessica Scott Kerrin likes this
0 votes
Monica Leonor Andal September 15, 2022

Good day,

My boards' labels finally updated to the pastel colors just yesterday, it's so hard to look as since the card is white. Then the members' went back to the bold color labels. Is this just a coincidence and is there a way now to go back to the bold colors in my access? (board owner). Wondering if my update triggered theirs to go back.

0 votes

Yes, agree with many here... it's visually more difficult to read at a glance, is there a toggle to change them back at least or if not will there be?

Monica Leonor Andal September 15, 2022

I hope they launch an option in the setting where we can set it back to the original bold colors

0 votes
Panagiotis September 13, 2022

@Brittany Joiner Hello Brittany, 

Do we have an update on the issue?

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 13, 2022

@Panagiotis i just posted this article - explains why the labels had to change because of the exciting addition of more colors for labels! https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-articles/Trello-dreams-coming-true-today-more-label-colors-available/ba-p/2132664#U2133570

Yes but even the darkest of the new colors is lighter than the original set

0 votes
Alexander Magdy August 24, 2022

I'm managing several boards, and it does get overwhelming at times, I see what they did with the dots in some of my accounts, well you have a list that has several cards and some of them completed, some still being worked on and some are to-do it's kindda nice as it's a bit softer on the eyes, but I would very much like to enable these for some boards not all of them.

I'm guessing Trello will eventually allow us to choose, it's not a big deal, it would be nice if the actual dots are like the original color RGB, and the rest of the label is this lighter color.

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 24, 2022

@Alexander Magdy that is how it looks on my screen - the dot is the original color and label is lighter. does it look different on yours?

image.png

image.png

Alexander Magdy August 24, 2022

DB93EDBE-4EF8-4472-BF75-15C8D69AE66E.png8D620A8C-B1A6-449E-877C-544ACFA03098.png

I think the original color was a bit sharper, maybe it’s an optical illusion, but this dot can get more vivid and noticeable.

I think the new dot is slightly lighter than the original color pallet.

Like Brittany Joiner likes this
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 25, 2022

Gotcha, thanks @Alexander Magdy  for the feedback!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events