cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get Trello Board ID

Chris topher
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 12, 2020

I am wondering how to get your trello board ID.

2 answers

1 accepted

9 votes
Answer accepted
Ste Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2020

Hi @Chris topher

Should be able to get it via JSON - this is how I did it:

1. Go to your Trello Board
  2. Add ".json" to end of the URL
  3. Format the JSON so it's readable (you can find a JSON viewer online)
  4. Search for idBoard - this will list your full Board ID

URL should look like this:

https://trello.com/b/BaDyGlxp/<name of board>.json

You'll also find the list IDs in there under idList

Ste

Brad Saw
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 17, 2020

I dropped ".json" at the end of address in firefox and a pretty nice looking json display was rendered and the first item was "id", which worked for me.

I filtered "idBoard" and the only result was a "idBoardSouce" which was null. Maybe the "idBoard" has since changed to "id".

Like # people like this
Ste Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2020

id and idboard look to match for me.

Although I still see both on Chrome. Perhaps the JSON view differs between browsers? :)

Ste

Zeeshawn Ali April 29, 2022

Never realized you could just add .json like that!

But can you explain what adding .json to the end of the board does?

How can I use this in other APIs?

Thx !

Hyde Phillips
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 30, 2022

I’m no expert Zeeshawn but finding this recently opened up some fun things you can do with 3rd party automation apps like Zapier.

By getting the direct API IDs from the .json view (for the board itself, plus its lists, cards and more), you can store those IDs somewhere and use look-up fields to feed them directly into Zapier/Integromat to automate tasks - rather than manually select which board and list you want to perform an action with.

For example, new enquiries generate a new Trello card which needs distributing to the right member of our team. I have a database (I use Airtable) of the board and list IDs for each team member. When an enquiry comes in and is allocated to a team member based on their location, Zapier triggers an automation that looks up the board and list ID for that person and sends the enquiry card there, without me having to set up multiple automations for each of them.

The key is being able to look-up the ID and insert directly into a 3rd party app rather than manually selecting which one to use. Hope that helps!

Zeeshawn Ali April 30, 2022

Got it. That makes sense. I'll keep that in mind when I'm thinking about projects in the future. 

Thanks 👍🏽

0 votes
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 14, 2020

@Chris topher boards have 2 types of ID, the short ID which is in the URL as shown here:

2020-04-14 at 9.36 pm.png

and the long ID which you need to get using the API. You can actually get it using the API explorer and the short ID:

... oh wait, no you can't. @bentley the developers.atlassian site doesn't have the ability to try API commands in the browser, that's pretty lame any ETA on adding it?

Anyway here's the end point, you can pass the short ID into the API endpoint and get the long ID in return:

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/trello/rest/#api-boards-id-get

LTroya
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 30, 2022

Hyde Phillips
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 6, 2022

Hey guys, do you know if it's possible to use the above board and list IDs to run automations through Zapier? End goal is

Trigger: a record updates in our CRM

Action:

1. Find card using card URL (no problems)

2. Find board and list ID stored in the updated CRM record

3. Move card to said board and list

P.s. I'm not a dev! Many thanks :D

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events