Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create sub-tasks in trello

Caz Wright October 13, 2022

I have a list of tasks, but need to link one task to another in the sense that one task can only be done after the other has been completed.

For example: Task A and Task B are both listed, but Task B can only be done when Task A is complete. How do I link these two tasks together, or how do I create Task B as a sub-task of Task A?

3 answers

3 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2022

@Caz Wright welcome to the community! you can use the checklist feature to add subtasks inside a trello card. You can also make those subtasks be other trello cards too. If you're using Trello Standard or higher, you can add due dates and owners to those sub task, and you can drag them around to reorder them, which is one way i kinda think through dependencies. 

There are also power-ups like Hello Epics that handle dependencies and parent child relationships with cards, which you might find helpful too!

Caz Wright October 19, 2022

This is great, thank you @Brittany Joiner . The warm welcome I have received from the community has been amazing!

Like Brittany Joiner likes this
Josh Fortner May 5, 2023

@Brittany Joiner How do you create a sub-task checklist that is a card? If I paste a card link in a checklist, it does link to the card, but it shows the URL and I'm trying to figure out how to get the card name like in this Trello video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM5eMd7KuOI

I'm trying to setup dependency automation for plan start and plan complete dates of cards.

Josh Fortner May 5, 2023

I think I found 1 answer to my question. Looks like an automation to convert subtask items to cards has to be set up first.

I found that using Butler still puts the URL in the subtask checklist and not the Card name/title

https://www.loom.com/share/24b6b25e15cc4797bdf8a69a1506e974

I have hundreds of cards already created so a way to add them as subtasks after they've been created would be great

Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2023

@Josh Fortner think im a little confused what you're asking - are you asking about adding cards as attachments instead of checklist items? To do that, go to Attachments on the right side of card action menu and choose from Trello then search for the card or paste the link.

image.png

Or are you saying that you don't want the link in the checklist, but instead you want the card name? without seeing your automation, you'd probably want to reference the {cardname} variable instead of {cardlink}

0 votes
Answer accepted
Violetta Chernobuk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2022

Hi @Caz Wright 

It's Violetta from Planyway:)

Planyway power-up for Trello can help you link cards with dependencies on the timeline view. Here's how you can do it: https://planyway.com/help/features/dependencies 

Subtasks are also available: https://planyway.com/help/features/checklists

Planyway Dependencies Overview

Brilliant, thank you for your assistance Violetta Chernobuk!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 13, 2022

Hi @Caz Wright and welcome to the community!

To my knowledge you can't link trello cards with each other, at least with out of the box trello functionalities. As @Brittany Joiner said, you can use tasks to do that. Other than that, there are power ups like this, which can help you do that.

Wonderful, thank you @Alex Koxaras _Relational_much appreciated

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events