Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clicking macOS desktop notifications opens new window

Keenan Mock January 9, 2019

When clicking on a macOS desktop notification, a new window is opened to the card indicated on the notification, instead of navigating the already-open window to the card in question.

Is there any way to change this behavior? If not, are there plans in the roadmap to change this behavior? It's annoying to have more windows than needed, and and up having to do manual navigation anyway.

Thanks.

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mike
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 18, 2019

Hi Keenan,

Great question—this is indeed intended behavior. The rationale being that when you get a notification, you might be in the middle of something else, or working on something, and clicking that notification and then sweeping you away to something else might be a bit disruptive. I see your point, though, that this way isn't ideal either!

I'll pass your comments on to the team, and they'll consider that for future updates to the Trello app!

Keenan Mock January 18, 2019

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply! Good to know that at least it is indeed the intended behavior and it's not just our systems.

I suppose I would argue that if we're in the middle of working on something else in the Trello app and we get a notification, that we would only click on said notification if we realized it was more important/pressing than what we're currently working on. In which case we would want to be whisked away to that other issue. Otherwise we would just continue working on our current task, and allow the notification to go away, at which point it just turns into a badge on the "bell" icon, and we can address later.

Thanks again!

Like # people like this
Geoff Washam April 30, 2019

I second removal of this behavior. No other program I have uses this logic. This software is very helpful but opening an entirely new window each time is a bloat I don't need. Also, in OSX at least, we can't easily alt-tab between all the open Trello windows like you can with Windows. Instead, it CMD-Tab's to the most recently used one. The rest are only accessible by using touchpad gestures to see all open windows/programs.

Having said all that, at least give us a toggle in preferences for this behavior, that way everyone can have it the way they want and it doesn't bog down into who's "right" or "wrong".

Like # people like this
Hans Dorsch March 4, 2020

Hey, any updates on this strange behaviour? 
Can't you just check, if there's an open window and use that?

I am on a Mac and actually working on one board only most of the time. And when I bring up Mission Control, I get a whole screen of the same window.

Like # people like this
Rick Johnston July 21, 2020

Mike - I am imploring you to reconsider this issue.

This is a very real problem that disrupts the lives of those that use Trello daily.

We need your help!

Like # people like this
Ross Geesman June 17, 2021

I would also like to request that this behavior be made optional. It creates more issues than it solves and on a Mac it doesn't even really solve the problem that it was intended to fix.
If I click a notification, the previous Trello window I was in is now hidden and I have to use the mouse or trackpad to go find it again which IMO is just as disruptive as making me find the card I was working on. Why not just provide a back button or a specific view of the event that triggered the notification so the user can easily get back on task?

Like Keenan Mock likes this
Jack Walsh October 21, 2021

Can we change this feature already? This is killing me. I'm trying to get my team onto an enterprise version of Trello, but I can't have dozens of notifications opening dozens of windows. 

Please have the notifications simply direct us to the existing open application window.

Like Keenan Mock likes this
Nick Becker June 29, 2023

Mike, can we reopen this? This is not resolved, and is incredibly frustrating. No workaround is ideal other than allowing users to toggle this behavior on or off. Thanks.

Like Hans Dorsch likes this
8 votes
Rick Johnston November 27, 2019

This has now become a real problem, as having multiple Trello instances open on Mac means I get duplicate/triplicate/etc. notification nows. Please give this some attention!!

François Lavigne January 28, 2020

I agree with Rick 100%, at least offer the option.

8 votes
Rick Johnston October 10, 2019

+1 to seeing this behaviour removed

Having two instances open every time a notification is clicked is the single most annoying thing that happens to me (30+ times) every day!

Thomas Sohet January 31, 2020

Incredibly annoying

Like # people like this
7 votes
Chris Maddern January 9, 2020

Very surprising to hear this is intended behavior - it's incredibly frustrating.

Please at least allow an option to choose the sensible policy of keeping a single Trello app window.

0 votes
Geoff Washam April 30, 2019

(Removed and placed in-line as a reply. Please remove this answer)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events