Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I modify what notifications to receive?

Samantha Westley February 28, 2022

We are trying to make our notifications from Trello more efficient. Currently we are getting notified for nearly every action that happens on a board or card if you're on it. Is there a way to customize what notifications you receive, i.e., if you are tagged only? I know that you can modify the frequency of emails but I'm looking to narrow down to specific items that you are notified about. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hannah Humbert - Simpla Workflows
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 28, 2022

Hi @Samantha Westley ! Welcome to the community :) for the moment, Trello doesn't offer the ability to configure your notification settings - it's basically all or nothing. You can however un-watch a card to stop being notified of that card. 

Another option is to turn off notifications altogether and instead create an automation to notify you when certain things happen.

For example:

when @hannah_morgan is added to a card, send an email notification to "hannah@simplaworkflows.com" with subject "You've been assigned to a card" and message "Newly assigned card: [{cardname}]({cardlink})"

You can customize the email content based on what you need to see - e.g. card due date, labels, custom field info, etc.

Hope that helps!

Michael Pryor
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 1, 2022

One caveat: Trello does let you configure which notifications you get, but you have to do it by changing what you are watching. 

If you watch a board, you get all the notifications for the board. If you watch a list, you get notifications for all the stuff that happens in the list.  If you watch a card, you get all the info from the card.  It's true you can't configure what notifications within the board/list/card you get notified about - for that you'd have to use butler like you said - but if you are getting all notifications for the board and you only want to get notifications for cards you are assigned to - just unwatch the board (when you get assigned to cards, you also are set to watch them, so be default Trello should notify you about things on cards you have been assigned to).

Like Samantha Westley likes this
Samantha Westley March 1, 2022

I appreciate it! It looks like we may be able to set up a Butler notification to get what we are looking for. Thank you!

Nicole Chen April 1, 2022

@Samantha Westley How are you fixing this with a Butler notification? I'm having the same issue. 

Samantha Westley April 1, 2022

Hi Nicole! I disable email notifications so I don’t get everything. Then go into the rules section, create a rule. For us the main thing we wanted to be notified in Slack (or you could do email) about was being mentioned on a card. The rule looks like the photo below  the #samanthawestley is my slack channel I created to receive notifications from butler. I’ve been able to set up a multitude of these rules and it’s made communication on our team more effective  if you have further questions or want more details please feel free to let me know. Happy to help however I can!7B81F408-7D37-4962-A39F-E37CCC05E64E.jpeg

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events