Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I distribute boards to team members for their personal use?

Daniel Neuman April 30, 2019

Can I create lists for distribution, so that clients (who will be added as team members) can use the board without affecting my 'master copy'?

3 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2019

@Daniel Neuman do you mean that each client will have their own board, and that you will create cards in a master board and that those cards should appear somehow in the client's board and you will have a copy in your master board?

You might find this section in the Trello documentation on card mirroring useful:

https://help.trello.com/article/1097-mirroring-cards

0 votes
Answer accepted
Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2019

@Daniel Neuman well in that case you can just copy the board and add your client as a member! The 2 boards will be completely separate. They also don't need to be a member of your team you can just add them to the board.

Okay great! But, what if I have 100 clients. Do I need to create 100 duplicate boards? Can I just distribute a board to someone else's account? Or better, can I allow someone to just take a duplicate from a "master board". The latter releases me from having to moderate. 

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 30, 2019

@Daniel Neuman If you want someone to be able to copy a board from a template, then you can either make that board public OR (as you had originally intended) add all those people as members of a team, then make the board team visible but remove the ability for team members to join the board. They will then be able to view and copy, but not change the board. You can also disable commenting on the board so no-one can accidentally type anything in there.

The only downside here is that the default when someone copies this board is that the new board will be added to the team. Each person will need to copy the board and choose "None" under team, otherwise unless it's a Business Class team, only 10 people will be able to create a board. Also the default is "Team Visible" so if people omit that step, then everyone else on the team will be able to see their board.

Alternatively, you could automate this with the API. Here's an example in Trellinator that would give you a "board of boards" where you would simply create a card with someone's email address as the card title, and it will copy a board template and add their email address as a member (which will invite them to create an account if they don't already have one).

The Trellinator bot will be the owner/admin of the board, and a link to the board will be copied back to the originating card:

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/5a269b0e86640cf68a51aa56c18fe51c

You can see more about Trellinator here

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-articles/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

Daniel Neuman May 3, 2019

Thank you Lain, this is great!

This will be my best option, the only unfortunate aspect is that I still wanted the team to be able to make comments within a card. But, that tradeoff for a moderation nightmare is fine!

Appreciate the help!

Daniel Neuman May 3, 2019

*Iain

0 votes

Thanks for the reply!

Not exactly. It would be as if the client could take an exact copy of my board (cards included, google drive function enabled), and then use it as a template to rearrange the cards as they see fit.

Basically if they rearrange the cards for their purpose, I still want a master copy where the cards are arranged as I originally had them. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events