Using Trello effectively for Agile team

As many software projects are following Agile (Scrum and Kanban) for team development workflow, and using Trello or JIRA for task management, I am moving from JIRA to Trello but got some troubles, which missed lovely features or concepts that I was familiar during using JIRA, and I would like to list them here with my solution, let give your comment if you think it's good or bad practices

- In JIRA, there are many task type: Epic, Story, Bug, Improvement, Sub-Task.... also customized those types, but it's not on Trello. So I had to use label as task type, as much as I want

- In JIRA, normally we broke a user story to subtasks which estimate-able, and then total story estimation will be sum automatically from its subtasks. So I had to use card as user story, and then checklist as subtask, but I didn't find any way, even don't know how to give estimation on trello, it's workaround with Agile for Trello chrome extension, but not very useful

- In JIRA, a scrum board is separated into sprints, each sprint will be a board, but in Trello, I known it's not good practice if separating board by sprint. Don't know how to manage it

- It's also missing many features relating to scrum sprint like estimation, worklog, burndown charts... 

Could anyone is also running sprint well with Trello, let give your practice and then everyone could use it effectively

1 comment

Hi Khoi,

Marta here, from the Trello team :)

I'd love to see how other people are using Trello boards for Agile workflows, but I'll also leave you some Playbooks my team has created for Engineering teams: https://trello.com/teams/engineering

I hope you find these useful! You can also check our inspiration board to see how others use Trello: https://trello.com/inspiration

For anyone else who feels like they have a great board to share, we'd love it if you could share it with the Trello community. Fill out this form to get started: https://trello.typeform.com/to/IT481Y 

These boards will be a part of our updated trello.com/inspiration project for shared Trello workflows.

Thank you very much for showing your team's boards. That really inspired me to use mine in a different way. That should seriosly make my life easier.

Thanks @Marta Galofre de Alos for sharing those boards, because I moved from using Jira to Trello, so there are some confusing concepts between them, trying to adapt and use Trello effectively for my Agile team.

From your Playbooks, there are quite separated boards for different purpose which I didn't find an real example which running well with Trello and Agile, did you have any more complicated real case that we could learn from them.

Thank in advanced

Comment

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Jun 20, 2018 in Trello

Get inspired with Trello & earn free Gold

A blank Trello board can be both a beautiful and intimidating thing. How many lists should I have? Is creating 10 labels overkill? How can I best track my progress? Is there a way...

16,770 views 0 14
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you