Using Trello to manage events

As a Jira power user, I was at first doubtful that Trello could benefit my workflow. Jira already uses boards (ones you can customize!), so why would I even need to use Trello?! In this post you will learn how I went from a Trello doubter to a believer while picking up an Atlassian certification in the process.
As a heavy user of Jira, I was unable to see the benefit of using Trello. If Trello uses boards, Jira does as well, and they can be even customized! Why should we then use Trello?
Well, let me start by saying that with Trello you don't need any customization advanced skills. For example, in just a few clicks you can plan an event and share it with people who you might want feedback from.
In my scenario, I planned for my ACP-600 Beta Test in a very short period of time and without missing any topic. Using Jira was an option, however, I’d rather spend the time it would take to customize the project actually studying for the test!
Once Atlassian shared details about the test (topics, labs, etc.), I had 20 days left until the deadline. In order to keep track of my progress, I could think of no better tool than Trello. I logged into my account and set up some standard lists (To Do, In Progress, On Hold, Done). All I needed to do was to create a card for each of the six topics, then one to request a lab account, and the last one Schedule the test. Check out a screenshot of my Trello board:

Fadoua's Trello.png

Since I am a visual person, the board was always top of mind. I was even able to memorize some dates.
There’s no better feeling than finishing a card and moving it from Progress to Done. The On Hold list wasn't a status I could afford for this test lack of time. The encouraging part while using a board is seeing the Done list growing bigger. There were days when I was able to move more than one card. That's how I was able to plan, track my progress, and be done on-time for my test.
Of course, I was more motivated to achieve my desired outcome for the test, not necessarily by just the board. However, in a time where everything is done virtually, the Trello board was the only reminder that my test was "real".
Thanks for reading this article, I hope you found it useful! In closing, I’d love to know your thoughts. I am not trying to mimic Jira, but do you agree that sub-cards are needed in Trello Boards?

Thanks!
Fadoua

19 comments

Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
April 23, 2018

Love this article, way to go @Fadoua! Proof that even the savviest of Jira users enjoy the simplicity of Trellonow and again. Cheers :) 

Meg Holbrook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2018

Love this @Fadoua! Wonderful use case. 

I, too, agree that Trello would benefit from Sub-cards. I've thought that many times, and hope to see this in the future.

I use Trello both professionally and personally (gotta keep those kids on a chore schedule somehow!). 

The best part about Trello is the ability for collaboration on multiple platforms and the non-technical way this application works. I didn't have to explain much to my husband or kids to get them all on the same page. 

miikhy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 23, 2018

Great use case, interesting article and a new proof that trello is not just "Jira for beginners"!

Thanks @Fadoua

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2018

THANK YOU ALL!

Stefaan Quackels
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 23, 2018

@Fadoua Great article! I really agree. Trello is so incredibly simple to understand and virtually has no learning curb.

I found this a particularly useful collaboration tool when working with new external teams who were not familiar with Jira or Trello before. Jira would not have been as easy to get acquainted with as Trello. 

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2018

@Stefaan QuackelsI am glad you liked it, what do you think about having sub-cards in Trello?

Stefaan Quackels
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 24, 2018

Subtasks do make sense for complex projects, like managing large events for example. The Hello Epics power-up is an option however, and the checklist is enough for simple tasks.

I think having this option as a power-up is better than adding it in the main functionality. Adding it to Trello out of the box might compromise intuitiveness for new users not familiar with the tool.

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 25, 2018

Honestly I didn't check Trello power-up. I was able to add one which let me connect Trello with Confluence. I will dive deep into the power-up. Thank you @Stefaan Quackels for your input!

Davin Studer
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 22, 2018

Thanks for sharing.

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 22, 2018

My pleasure @Davin Studer!

Dietlinde Kristin Ciuca May 31, 2018

I enjoyed reading this article. I myself cannot imagine my daily routine without using trello - I've been using it constantly for over a year. It is simple, but offers me the overview I need. I like the sub-cards as well and I often put comments to update the task and colors (labels) according to importance. It is a big satisfaction when I move a card to the "Done" Board, but until it is off for archiving, I keep it for a while in the "Too Old" board. Sometimes the best tool for your own notes is the most simple one.

Thanks for sharing this story.

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 31, 2018

Glad you liked the article @Dietlinde Kristin Ciuca! Thank you for your comment!

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 10, 2018

Liked the article @Fadoua! Using Trello myself for lots of stuff outside my job. Planning an event, too. I'm organising a yearly sport event with a team (2000+ athletes, 50k+ visitors over three days) and started using Trello for lots of stuff in advance, like management of volunteers, todo lists, contracts.. A colleague of mine plans his travels, e.g. a board for a trip. You really just have to get a little bit creative and you will love Trello :D

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 10, 2018

Thank you for taking time @Max Foerster - K15tto read my article!

I am planning another important event in Trello. I am getting addicted :)

Aaron Jensen November 20, 2018

@Fadoua Thanks much for the post, and thank you @Stefaan Quackels for the mention of Hello Epics!

We recently created a board for Trello's Inspiration Gallery that uses Hello Epics for Event Planning, funnily enough. Check it out if you want to see what that looks like. Be sure to check out the cards that link to other boards as an example of collaborating between multiple teams, like this one: https://trello.com/c/vNMfCjXe/13-keynote-speakers

Like Fadoua likes this
Rex Williams September 11, 2019

It's great to hear the story from skeptic to believer. It always helps.

Like Fadoua likes this
Jeff Tillett
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 11, 2019

We actually use Trello to manage the Dallas Atlassian Community Events! 

We have a team of 3 leaders, so coordination is a must for getting things done. We were previously using Confluence, but when Alex came on board, he suggested going all in on Trello, and it's cool!

We have lists for all of the different areas that we need to coordinate, and one for tracking all of our planned events. We even have a list where we assign members to specific responsibilities! We use due dates and labels to track workflows and event dates, and keep cards for each of the locations we have used in the past as reference for planning future events.

DFW_ACE_Planning___Trello.png

Like # people like this
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 11, 2021

Nice article!

Kirsty Ellem November 15, 2021

Hi I'm wondering if anyone has found a way to track activities against spaces. We currently use calendars to track a booking in a space and would love to be able to tie a booking card to that space booking with checklinsts and actions but I haven't seen this kind of calendar integration it seems more tied to individuals calendars. Any thoughts or methods?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events