cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update on Collaborator Limit for Free Trello Workspaces

325 comments

Caity
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 5, 2024

@紅しょうが Yes, if you're using Trello with fewer than 10 people, you can continue using it for free.

Like # people like this
Caity
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 5, 2024

@Danilo Barros You can find more information on educational discounts, and a link to the application form, here: https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/purchase-licensing#do-academic-institutions-receive-special-pricing

Like # people like this
Caity
Atlassian Team
March 5, 2024

@Jon Hidden-Coley All Workspace members and guests count as collaborators in free Workspaces. However, in paid Workspaces, only Workspace members and guests that are on more than one board are billable. So, if some of your 39 collaborators are guests of the Workspaces rather than members, and if they're only on one board, you wouldn't need to pay for those users.

You can find more info on how billing works on Trello's paid plans here: https://support.atlassian.com/trello/docs/how-billing-works-with-trello-premium-and-standard/

Like # people like this
Caity
Atlassian Team
March 5, 2024

@Lyubomir Yornadov To clarify how billing works, you don't have to to limit all of your guests to the same board.

For example, let's say there's a workspace with members, 2 boards, and 35 guests like this:

• 20 guests are on Board A and only Board A
  • 10 guests are on Board B and only Board B
  • 5 guests are on both Board A and Board B

In this case, the workspace would have 40 collaborators, but they would only need to pay for the 5 members and the 5 guests that are on more than one board. They could continue to have some guests on Board A and some on Board B, but any guest that's only on one board will not be billable.

https://support.atlassian.com/trello/docs/how-billing-works-with-trello-premium-and-standard/

Like # people like this
Caity
Atlassian Team
March 5, 2024

@PeterD Thanks for bringing this up. That message should only be displaying to users who are part of a free Workspace, even if they are also part of a paid Workspace. It shouldn't display if the user is only a member of paid Workspaces. We'll take a look and make sure this is working as expected. You may also want to check if those users are in some free Workspaces that haven't been added to the Enterprise yet.

Like Erika Storli likes this
Caity
Atlassian Team
March 5, 2024

@laura_elvin Upgrades for Trello cover a Workspace rather than a user. So, if you are in multiple Workspaces, some of those Workspaces may be free and others may have paid subscriptions.

If all of those boards are in a single Workspace, it doesn't matter if you are the admin of those boards, since it's the Workspace rather than the individual user that is upgraded. If the Workspace is upgraded, then you'll be able to use those boards with more than 10 collaborators.

Whether or not those collaborators are billable or free depends on how many boards they're a member of and whether or not they're a member of the Workspace itself. Workspace members are also billable, and so are guests that are members of more than one board. However, if a guest is a member of only one board, that guest is free.

I hope that helps! We have some more information about how billing works in Trello here: https://support.atlassian.com/trello/docs/how-billing-works-with-trello-premium-and-standard/

Like # people like this
Caity
Atlassian Team
March 5, 2024

@牧野真也 Both admins and guests are counted as collaborators, so a free Workspace that already has 10 admins will not be able to add a guest.

If the Workspace upgrades to a paid subscription and adds a new guest to a single board, however, that guest will be free. Guests are only billable on paid Workspaces if they are on more than one board. We have some more information on how billing works on Trello's paid plans here:

https://support.atlassian.com/trello/docs/how-billing-works-with-trello-premium-and-standard/

Like # people like this
laura_elvin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 5, 2024

Can someone explain what I should do in simple terms please?

We have ONE board per workspace.

Most people are only in ONE board.

We have more than ten people in each board.

Most people only need to be in one board.

I can't really see any difference between guest and member????

How do I move forward best?

Just upgrade people who are on MORE than one board?

PeterD March 5, 2024

@Caity On the banner; This message should imo not appear for any member or guest, regardless if they created their own free workspace, on boards that are part of an Enterprise package.

Like Caity likes this
David Yoshida _Efikato_
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 5, 2024

@Caity 

In a workspace with 10 users, free, a new invited user with a Standard account will modify the acess?

I mean, in this case, all users (10 free e 1 paid) can continue use normally the workspace?

Thanks

Caity
Atlassian Team
March 5, 2024

@David Yoshida _Efikato_ Upgrades apply to the entire Workspace rather than an individual user. So, the Workspace itself would be upgraded to Standard, rather than individual users within the Workspace. Once the Workspace is upgraded, everyone would be able to continue using it normally.

As for whether or not a user would be included in the bill for Standard, that depends on these criteria:

1. Members of the Workspace itself are always billable
  2. Guests of the Workspace are billable if they are members of more than one board. If the guest is only on one board, they're free.

We have some more info on how this works here: https://support.atlassian.com/trello/docs/how-billing-works-with-trello-premium-and-standard/

Like # people like this
Caity
Atlassian Team
March 5, 2024

@laura_elvin A guest is a member of a board (or multiple boards) within the Workspace but not a member of a Workspace itself. Upgrades apply to the entire Workspace rather than an individual user, so you wouldn't choose individual people within the Workspace to upgrade. Once you upgrade, the bill is automatically calculated taking into account all users.

However, that doesn't mean that all users have to be paid for as part of that bill. That depends on these criteria:

2. Guests of the Workspace are billable if they are members of more than one board. If the guest is only on one board, they're free.

We have some more info on how this works here: https://support.atlassian.com/trello/docs/how-billing-works-with-trello-premium-and-standard/

Please note that each Workspace needs to be upgraded separately (except in the Enterprise plan, which can include multiple Workspaces). Depending on how you're using these boards and Workspaces, you may prefer to move all the boards into a single Workspace. However, you're welcome to keep them in separate Workspaces if that works better for you.

Like Gaurav Kataria likes this
cgp March 5, 2024

I have one workspace with approximately 50 members who do make changes on the cards. Would each user need a Premium account to continue to make changes or would it just require the admin account to have a Premium subscription? 

Across the company, we probably have 200 members affected by this change so any helpful information on how we should proceed would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you! 

Caity
Atlassian Team
March 5, 2024

@cgp Upgrades apply to the entire Workspace rather than an individual user, so you wouldn't choose individual people within the Workspace to upgrade. Once you upgrade, the bill is automatically calculated taking into account all users.

However, that doesn't mean that all users have to be paid for as part of that bill. That depends on these criteria:

I do want to also make sure you're aware that Trello also has a Standard plan that allows unlimited collaborators at a lower price point than Premium. We have more details on all our plans here: trello.com/pricing

Paul
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 5, 2024

Hi, we have a member of our workspace which created two boards (he's thus admin of these boards). He left the company: we do not have access to his account anymore.

However, he shows up as a workspace guest, and we cannot delete the two boards he created. Both of these count towards the new cap of 10 boards / 10 members.

How can I delete these two boards and remove the old member from the guests?

Caity
Atlassian Team
March 5, 2024

@Paul Stay tuned! We have some improvements coming to admin capabilities in free Workspaces so that you'll be able to fully remove any member or guest. This will be in place by the time the limit begins to be applied in April.

Like # people like this
牧野真也
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 5, 2024

@Caity 

Thank you for your reply.

I will think about it.

Wayne
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 5, 2024

This is par for the course for a takeover of a company:

Step 1: Buy the company (Trello)

Step 2: New company (Atlassian) forces existing Trello users to also have an Atlassian account. They do this because this artificially inflates their Atlassian user stats which looks good for their public investors. Nevermind the fact that you NEVER use any Atlassian service other than Trello, which they bought out. You will (and do) need TWO accounts now, to access one service because they don't care if this is annoying to you or not, they only care about themselves.

Step 3: Force users to login through both Atlassian AND Trello - just to use Trello. When users complain, pretend that it's an error and should not happen - but then never bother to "fix" it.

All of that has already happened. Next...

Step 4: This is step ONE of the process whereby Trello will now reduce the services offered for free in order to control you to purchase. This is a common mistake by people like Atlassian that prefer to control people rather than motivate people. They don't understand that its better to offer new and improved services with Trello to entice people to pay. OR, they can't come up with any new ways to improve Trello. The end result is breaking the cardinal rule in business - charging for something that used to be free. This is just the first part of the latter and over the next few years you will see them slowly, but methodically, remove services that were previously free so that they can place them behind a paywall, all while never actually adding anything new and of true substance to the service.

It will be little things here and there, including the FURTHER reduction of free users until in the end, Trello will be a mere skeleton of what it used to be.

Like # people like this
Danny Straus
Atlassian Team
March 5, 2024

Hey @Calum M, is there any additional info you can provide on how you got that error? For example, are you a workspace guest or a workspace admin? Were new guests recently added? Do you get the same error on a page refresh? 

Paula March 5, 2024

Why do my guests show as (6) and there are only two listed and no pending invites? how do I remove them? I cannot remove them on boards they shared with me

Caity
Atlassian Team
March 5, 2024

@Paula I just want to confirm, if you scroll down on that page, do you see any additional sections? If not, does refreshing the page change that?

It sounds like there may be guests on your Workspace that are only on private boards that you don't have access to. Those should be displayed at the bottom of your Guests page under a "Guests on private boards" heading. Please let me know if you're not seeing that!

Bryan Gilbert - EdEHR
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 5, 2024

The board I manage is for an open source project and the board is for end users to help design new features.   How does Trello count contributors.  If a person helps our project on one or two cards and then leaves are they still a contributor?

What alternatives are there for us to encourage a discussion around features with our end users. We can't charge them for this.

cgp March 5, 2024

Thank you for your reply, @Caity . What are the differences in permissions from a member to a guest? For the tools we use, we would need Premium, but I don't want everyone to be "View only" if I change them from a member to a guest. 

Caity
Atlassian Team
March 5, 2024

@cgp Guests can edit boards they're a member of, just as any other board member can. However, they won't be able to see or edit any other boards in the Workspace unless they are specifically added to those boards.

We have some more info about guests here: https://support.atlassian.com/trello/docs/board-guests/

Kevin Davis
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 5, 2024

I am looking for a little more clarity. With currently 10 collaborators in our workspace, if we add a new collaborator, will we be charged for all 11 collaborators, or just for the one additional user that increases our count beyond 10?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events