Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trello for the home, holidays and life goals for 2020.

Last year was massive year in the life of Bowen. Two huge events took place. 

1. February 2019 - My wife and I holidayed abroad with my parents.
  2. February 2019 - We saw our dream house - put in an offer - Moved into new house in June 2019.

Both events in their own right required a lot of planning, but let me start with the holiday.

Costa Rica was a bucket list destination for us, what with its incredible tropical rain forests, volcanoes, rivers, gorgeous beaches and delightful poisonous frogs, snakes and spiders that are just everywhere. There are also some wonderful noisy monkeys and very slow sloths, but enough about the wildlife. 

Planning started in June 2018. I initially started with a Google Sheet setting out the calendar and the places we would be staying at.

None of us do beach holidays - oh no! That would be too simple. Instead everyone likes exploring, walking, hiking, driving, photographing, thus there were many suggestions on where to stay, what to do, how to get there and the Google sheet started to get messy. It is also not great with images. 

I introduced Trello and the board was an instant hit, even with my elderly non-techy folks. 

Once I showed them how to add cards and drag and drop images, that was all I had to do.  Before we knew it we had a fairly good idea what everyone wanted to do and where to stay.

• It was super easy to delegate tasks because each task could be owned.
  • Owning a part of the planning made the whole holiday very special, because each of us was involved in everything. 
  • Communication became easier because everything was added to the cards. It was simple to track what was being said. 
  • Because everything was there visually in front of us, the excitement grew each day and the six month wait seemed so short. 

Of course Costa Rica was awesome - everyone has to go there if you want to experience something special. 

Holiday to Costa Rica.png

Moving home they say is one of the most stressful life events known to man - I am sure giving birth is the most stressful event(s) for a woman, so luckily that evens things out. Oh and death, but no one died in this story. 

14 years ago when we moved into our first house, there was no Trello and I recall it being something I never wanted to experience again, so when it came around again both of us were dreading it. Especially since we were well established in our old home. 

Fortunately having experienced the Holiday to Costa Rica Trello board, my wife quickly suggested we use it again for the house move (like it was her idea chuckle chuckle) and so we did! 

There are a thousand and one things to do when moving home so the biggest advantages of Trello were it's checklists. There are also a lot of people involved in the process, each with their own tasks and status boards, so all I did was replicate this on our Trello board.

From sharks (lawyers) to bankers, mortgage consultants to the DIY teams working on our old and new house, utility companies to every company that had ever sent us post or Spam mail, we had a checklist for them. Slowly over the 4 month period between making an offer to receiving the keys, we checked lots of items off. By the time the move day came along we had everything in place for an effortless move and even the weather knew it had to be sunny. (lol).

Home Sweet Home.png

Project Home Sweet Home Trello board is still in use today, 6 months later because there are still items that need checking off such as mail re-direction and changing address for the odd company we forget to contact, but looking back at all the tasks and how effortless it was to achieve is a very satisfying. 

That was last year!

This year we are hoping for a lot less stressful year and as such I thought it would be a good idea to set some personal goals for myself what better tool is there to help me? You've guessed it! 

Trello board Stuff I want to achieve in 2020. 

Remember I said Bowen is never idle... well I am sure you can see that is true in this Trello board. 

Personal goals for 2020.png

8 comments

Bridget
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
February 4, 2020

This is an AMAZING article, @Mike Bowen

Love the 2020 achievement board, and I wish I had thought of making a vacation Trello for my own Costa Rica trip last year. Very inspiring post, can't wait to read more from you in 2020. 

Like Mike Bowen likes this
Alison
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 5, 2020

Wow, look at Bowen! I've used Trello to plan my last two vacations - one to Brazil and one to La Ventana, Mexico to kite surf and am not looking back to Google Sheets! Glad to hear that all your family, tech and non-tech inclined, were able to use it .

Congrats on the new home and thanks for sharing your boards :) May I ask what inspired the 2020 goal of driving through 46 tunnels? 

Like # people like this
Mike Bowen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2020

Hi @Alison 

Nice destinations. 

I love tunnels, how they are constructed, the depth they go, the length of them, the people who made them etc.

46 is a special number for this year only ;-) 

We are also visiting Austria in July via Motor-home (RV) from the United Kingdom via France and Germany. Austria I recall has a lot of tunnels through the Alps, so I put the three ideas together and thought it will make a wonderful goal to achieve. 

Like Alison likes this
Alison
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 6, 2020

Sounds amazing, have a great trip @Mike Bowen ! 

Like # people like this
Shawn Kessler
Atlassian Team
February 6, 2020

Amazing write up @Mike Bowen , thanks for sharing. Congrats on the new home!

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 7, 2020

Awesome article @Mike Bowen thank you so much for sharing!

I'm starting something similar with hotels and parks that are dog friendly that we might like to go to in the future and keeping an eye on travel accessories that we might want to get.

My board isn't anywhere near as intricate and detailed as yours, but as with most things in my Trello, it's a work in progress!

Mike Bowen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2020

That is a good idea @Esme Crutchley 

There are simply unlimited uses for Trello and the beauty is how detailed or simple one can make them. I've one plugin (calendar), which is always useful, but one could really go to town with all the features that are on offer. 

Work in progress boards are fine, the key is not forgetting then and coming back to update them. 

:-)

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 7, 2020

I agree @Mike Bowen I have boards for literally everything!

Each has its own PowerUps, but my main Desktop board has 6 + Butler, because this is where I live most of the time. The main ones that I enable on each new board are Custom Fields & Google Drive (with Butler of course).

I bought Trello Business Class because I needed #allthepowerups and #lotsofbutlerautomations, so I'm a bit of a heavy Trello user! 

The family joke that 'if it's not in Trello, it doesn't happen' and I hate to admit that they're not wrong!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events