Trello dark mode is now in beta!

trello_dark_mode.png

Great news, Trello fans!

We are excited to announce that we are finally (FINALLY) beginning to roll out dark mode for Trello! Dark mode is currently in beta, and we are gradually rolling out the toggle button to the top right corner on your Trello board.

Once you are included in our early access program, you can then click the theme switcher button in the top right corner of your Trello board, which will bring you to this menu:

trello_dark_mode_theme-switcher.png
You can choose whether to review Trello in light mode, dark mode, or to automatically follow your system settings. 

We have also added a survey at the bottom if you have any thoughts for us! 

In addition to stylizing board backgrounds and card covers, adding colors, stickers, and labels, Trello dark mode is yet another way you’ll be able to personalize Trello.

“Light Mode” Changes

While developing dark mode, we also made some visual changes to the “light mode” option in Trello. Adding light and dark modes is part of a bigger modernization effort of Trello’s UI, including shifting the color palette and other experience updates. 
Color palette modernizations were needed because the original Trello colors could not be made compatible with dark mode. We took this opportunity to align our color palette to all other Atlassian products. These color updates gave us the ability to develop Trello web in dark mode, something our mobile app already has. 

If you have any feedback on light or dark mode, definitely fill out our survey at the bottom of the dark/light toggle menu. 

FAQ 

Why did this take so long?
Turns out, colors are more involved than you might think. Making sure Trello is accessible to everyone continues to be an important consideration in how we make development decisions. Our team did extensive research, customer interviews, and aligned to web standards to make sure that the Trello viewing experience remained accessible across light and dark modes. 
My Power-Ups look weird. What gives?
We are working to update Power-Ups now and our Power-Up developer community can add support for Trello’s color themes by using the tools here: https://community.developer.atlassian.com/t/join-the-color-theme-early-access-program-for-power-up-developers/68459
What about Trello mobile apps?
Fun fact, dark mode has been available on Trello mobile for a long time now. So as usual, we’re just playing catch up with our amazing Android and iOS teams.

22 comments

Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 14, 2023

Awesome great news @Lauren Moon Thank you!

Like Lauren Moon likes this
D B April 20, 2023

Looks like I don't have it available yet - only "new theme" and "original theme" available.

Is there anything I can do to join to the beta testing? If not, then when will it be available to everyone?

Thank you and cheers!

Like # people like this
jorisw April 23, 2023

How does one join the early access / beta program?

Like # people like this
Piotr Grabiec April 24, 2023

Good question, I would also like to know if there is a way to join the early access program - or is it gradually rolling out on its own?

Like # people like this
Lauren Moon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 2, 2023

@jorisw @Piotr Grabiec and D B: Unfortunately we are only able to do a gradual rollout of dark mode and can't add anyone manually. But we have been amping up the percentage of our rollout, and hope to get to 100% as soon as possible! 

Like # people like this
Mike Stevens May 3, 2023

I just got it today. So glad to have a dark mode, thank you! – but I'd love to see more contrast between the lists and the cards.

Apart from that, I personally think black is too intense for a dark mode. Google's dark grey, or Twitter's dark blue, those are both great standards to work to IMO. (Obviously I'd love to have it just be user-controlled theming, but hey.) 

google.jpgtwitter.jpg

EDIT: Actually, the colour of the open cards is PERFECT. Would love to see this colour applied to the front of cards in the list view. 

trello.jpg

Like snzer0 likes this
Lauren Moon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 4, 2023

@Mike Stevens we have heard this feedback several times and it is something we are working on tweaking internally. Thanks for writing in, and stay tuned. 

Annelise Jancula May 4, 2023

Some of my team members have the beta dark mode available to them but not me. It's creating some jealousy in the office :) 

Dirceu Caetano May 4, 2023

@Lauren Moon Olá! Amei saber sobre o Dark Mode no Trello. Por favor, gostaria muito de ter acesso a versão beta para testar. Poderia me incluir, por favor? Obrigado! 🙏

be pma May 5, 2023

just roll it out to every body, its been a long time enough already. I can't wait anymore... my eyes are being burned by that unbearable white.

gbz May 9, 2023

Can we all get dark mode..? Doesn't need to be perfect..

Robert Johnson May 11, 2023

I seem to have inherited Dark Mode by accident as it suddenly appeared on my account but only on one computer/machine. When I look under Themes, it is not an option, but I am in Dark Mode:

2023-05-11 10_42_18-Work _ Trello.png

When I login to the same account on another computer, I have the same two options, but "New theme" is selected and I do NOT have Dark Mode, i.e., my Cards have a white background.

I'm not complaining – wish I had it on all of my devices :)

Krushna Joshi May 16, 2023

Can we get the dark mode out now already?

Like Robert Johnson likes this
RBB213 May 16, 2023

I understand the need to change the colors to accommodate dark mode, but honestly, I love the brightness of the colors in the Original Theme (the new colors are duller and not as vibrant). Will Original Theme still be available for those of us who prefer the choice?

Like # people like this
Brittany Joiner
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2023

Ba da ba ba ba.... I'm lovin it!

Sandip B May 26, 2023

Screenshot from 2023-05-26 14-40-35.png

Not showing option for `Dark Mode`.

How can I get the `Dark Mode` option?

Like Levon Kirakosyan likes this
Jon Currie June 1, 2023

When scrolling between images on a card in dark mode, the arrows at the bottom are no longer barely visible.

Caelen Gibson June 4, 2023

🤩I have been waiting so long for this. I am also glad that time has been used to make the dark mode look fantastic.

snzer0 June 13, 2023

For the current dark mode, the card text color being a light grey makes it a bit difficult to read. If you stick with color scheme than can you please consider making the text more white for the cards/lists. 

Otherwise I agree with @Mike Stevens 

Like John Goldie likes this
Nancy July 26, 2023

I'm glad so many people are happy about dark mode, but it's really hard for me to see the cards. I also wish this hadn't been implemented as a default, because it's really difficult to find how to switch it back to light mode. I did it the last time the program updated, but now I can't find it. Please make an easy way to switch back for the many people like me who were happy with Trello as it was. 

Aaron Johns September 21, 2023

I'm sure I'm missing something simple, but my Trello switched to dark mode all by itself this morning and I can't find any way to switch it back. The button is not there on the menu bar. I'm on the desktop Mac app.

Aaron Johns September 21, 2023

Never mind, I finally found it. It's no longer a toggle button, it's under your Account button /  Theme

Screenshot 2023-09-22 at 3.48.00 pm.png

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events