Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trello Subtasks with Butler

A common request on the Atlassian community is to track progress on subtasks, for example assigning checklist items to people or adding due dates to checklist items.

As discussed in this article, a great way to do subtasks in Trello is using a checklist, with each item linked to a card:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Trello-articles/Trello-Subtasks-with-Trellinator/ba-p/1020531

That article discusses how to do this with Trellinator, but you can also do the same thing with Butler!

One of the cleanest ways to trigger this is to create a button called "Create Subtasks" that will create linked cards for all items in the checklist "Subtasks", as per this screenshot:

2019-04-17 at 2.50 pm.png

Here is what that button looks like in action:

https://www.loom.com/share/24b6b25e15cc4797bdf8a69a1506e974

Now that you have a list of linked cards you can move them around, assign them to different people, set different due dates etc.

Next, you can set up a Butler command that triggers when a card is archived and checks off the corresponding checklist item on the "master" card.

That looks like this:

2019-04-17 at 2.57 pm.pngHere's what that command looks like in action:

https://www.loom.com/share/9bca506dd7544cda90fe5f421e6f639b

11 comments

marc -Collabello--Phase Locked-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2019

Great workflow!

Like # people like this
Brian Rafferty November 14, 2019

I'm new to Butler, so I may be missing something.

When I choose the "Card Button" option, I have no option to free-text a command, and the droplist commands within the interface don't include a "convert" option.

What am I missing, please?

Thanks!

Brian

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2019

@Brian Rafferty It's in the "Cascade" tab:

2019-11-15 at 4.59 pm.png

Brian Rafferty November 15, 2019

@Iain Dooley Thanks so much for your help!

Christopher Buckley October 15, 2020

I like the idea, but this will create a new list for every set up subtasks (making your board get cluttered very quickly). I tried to reduce this by archiving the subtask list after it is created, but this creates a new problem in that if you ever add new subtasks to the same original parent task, it will create an entirely new list (rather than refer to the one in the archive) and make all sorts of mess.

Is there any way to archive the subtopic list with Butler? I'm only seeing this for cards.

Is there any way of doing if logic to check if the archive exists or not and if so, send back to board, repopulate and rearchive?

If not, do you have any suggestions for how to manage the clutter this workflow will produce?

Geri Rawlins March 25, 2021

Hi 

Thank you for this. I'm unsure how to complete the last step in the Rule to check off the card once it is archived, would it be possible to do a screen shot? I have just copied the {triggercardlink} text but it doesn't seem to be working. 

Thank you

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 25, 2021

@Christopher Buckley "it will create an entirely new list (rather than refer to the one in the archive) and make all sorts of mess."

Why not just archive that list too? It doesn't matter that the cards aren't in the same list.

If your goal is to create "hidden" cards that just allow you to discuss subtasks separately, rather than actually using the cards to manage the tasks, then I don't think there's a way to archive the list with Butler but you could use this Trellinator function instead of Butler:

https://gist.github.com/iaindooley/daf15db182dfbe8e9a5bc22decf0a5e5

You can install this on our BenkoBot platform as a Listener here:

https://app.benkobot.com/

Or you can install it in Google Apps Script. You can read more about Trellinator here:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/Introducing-Trellinator-Automate-Trello-with-Google-Apps-Script/ba-p/925271

Iain Dooley
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 25, 2021

@Geri Rawlins Here you go:

2021-03-26 at 9.38 am.png

Geri Rawlins March 25, 2021

Thank you @Iain Dooley - sorry I'm very new to this so probably missing something very simple but it was the step after - so this is my end result which I was hoping would mark the item in the original checklist as complete once I moved the linked card to my complete list, but it doesn't seem to be working and doesn't look the same as yours. I found the command "check item" but then just copied your text as wasn't sure what to do. Thank you for your help.  

butler rule.png

ServiceDesign SüdWest November 10, 2022

We have rules set to change the due date on cards that are overdue. However, we haven't found a way to do the same automatically for checklist items that are overdue. We are not able to find any triggers on checklist-items that would allow us to do so. Any ideas on how that would be possible?

Majestix June 15, 2023

Many thanks @Iain Dooley , I implemented your suggested workflow and it works out very well. For some reasons it would be beneficial for me to adjust this workflow in order to have two improvements:

1st adjustment:

• Find the 1st item from checklist X
  • which isn't a linked card yet
  • and convert this checklist item into a linked card using pattern "{cardlink}"
2nd adjustment:
  • Using your original workflow I would like to copy all labels onto the new linked cards.
I tried to create these workflows by myself but failed....maybe you can give me a hint!
Thank you
Maximilian

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events