There’s a Power-up for That!

So you’re using Trello at work, at home and to track your new DIY crafts. The family and co-workers are all on board and everything is organized, color coded and has a due date. But still, there’s something missing. Somethings you wish existed. Well just like our phones, Trello provides us with the basic. But we go to the app store to add our banking, social media and meditation apps and it enhances our phones and makes our lives much easier.

Power-ups act in the same way. It enhances your Trello board and it allows you to get past your simple, To Do - In Progress- Done columns. Power-ups are like phone apps and Atlassian add on’s, they add on to your foundation.

To enable Power-Ups go to your board menu and select “Power-Ups.” You will then be prompted to the power-ups directory. The directory provides different categories to choose from and the ability to search using keywords.

Clients often ask me if they can do this or that with Trello. My answer usually consists of “there’s a power-up for that.” Here are some of my favorite power-ups:

1. Custom Fields: Similar to adding custom fields in Jira Software, Trello also has a power-up for that. Custom fields power-up can be customized to reflect text, numbers, checkboxes, dates and more. I’ve often seen it used by users who integrate their Trello Board with Salesforce and would like to reflect the value of a proposal for a potential client. Others use the date fields to display start dates, due dates, and delivery dates.
  2. Projects by Placker: Similar to Portfolio for Jira and Gantt chart for Jira Software, Project by Placket provides you with the tools to plan, track and report cards on multiple boards. The small details may be too much information to show during a meeting, so I like using a projects by placker dashboard to show the progress our team has made.
  3. Butler: Similar to conditions, triggers and validators in Jira Software, Butler automates your Trello board with rules which saves you from doing a lot of manual work. After using your board for some time, Butler provides you with recommendations based on your activity. One of the many rules I use is “create a new card with the title “Submit timesheet” in the list “to do”, and set it to Friday at 5:00 PM.

The list of awesome power-ups goes on and on. And if there’s something out there you’re looking for and can’t quite find, head to the Atlassian Community for help from the community experts.

4 comments

Stef
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2018

This is a good power-ups overview. Thanks Mary! My favorite power-ups are Calendar, Read Me (allows you to write and display a description of the board, which I think should be built into Trello by now), and Slack. 

Erica Moss
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2018

I always love hearing what people's favorite Power-Ups are — thanks for sharing yours, @Mary Ramirez!

Island Curtains October 30, 2018

We have just started using Butler.
Are there plans to add the JIRA automation tools to Trello, this making Butler obsolete?
If so will there be a migration tool form Butler to the new methods?

I just want to make sure I am not working with a soon to be legacy feature before I start!

Guillermo Torres July 30, 2020

I’ve been trying to enable a single power up in iOS without any success. I keep getting the  message “It looks like you’ve reached the limit for this board”.

However, I am not even using a single power up in iOS. On the Windows desktop app, I am using one Power up: Card Repeat. 
Is this the reason I can’t use the same power up on my mobile device? 

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events