Powering on: using Trello to get S%@& done and move forward!

ULTIMATE PROCRASTINATOR ⏱🛑

For as long as I can remember I have been a massive dreamer. That’s awesome, right? Downside is, I am a dreamer who makes very few of those dreams come true. A lot of it comes down to being a “Campaigner”. One of my key characteristics as a campaigner is loooooooads of ideas (too many) and little in terms of composure and conviction... and then I just get BORED.

This means that when it comes to MOVING FORWARD, I seem to go “nowhere... fast!”

Maybe for you this rings a bell? Lots to do and achieve but somehow, you’re not getting it done?
Want to do something about that?
Well you can!

158823100.jpg

DONT GET BORED... GET BOARD! 🤩📱

In this article I will share one of the key aspects of my life I really wanted to excel at and take you through (the truncated version of) my journey to success.
By the end of it you will go off on your own journey of Powering On!

Way back in Sept 2019 I got a royal invitation by Bridget to become an Atlassian Author: dream come true and with it... a million ideas; eek!! 
I really love sharing knowledge as well as writing, so this was a perfect opportunity for me.
I really wanted to do my absolute best, but I needed to overcome bad habits. After many many months, I’d only written 2 or 3 articles only. Pretty poor.

Therefore, I turned to my #TrustyTrello, set up a board titled “Atlassian Author” and got cracking.

THE JOURNEY, STEP BY STEP 🏔🕺

To keep the story as short as possible but still inspirational, here’s what I did to get to where I am today as an Atlassian Author step by step; taking my Trello board from blank canvas to a work of art, and thus (more importantly!) achieving my dream.

Below my board as I started. On day one, it was literally just a simple Kanban with all my ideas dumped on it:

Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 06.20.20.png

- BOARD: make a Trello Board

- LISTS: build a load of lists

- BRAINDUMP: dump all of my ideas (each one a Card) on there, ASAP!

- LESS IS MORE: eventually clean up the Lists like crazy (I suddenly had so many, it was all over the place)

- CLEAN: eventually archive Cards of old (especially uninteresting) ideas. Keep it clean; remove the clutter!

- WIP LIMIT: Stop procrastinating! Set a WIP on In Progress and To-Do (more on that HERE!!)

- PROGRESS: monitor progress for self-gratification and reward (especially the Awesome Author badge!)

- CHECKLISTS: ß this! Use checklists! OMGoodness they’re awesome.

- LABELS: Idea Formed, In Progress, Ready4Review, Done, Published!

- GLAMOUR COVER: put in an awesome and relevant cover to give each card its identity!

- TITLES: learn how to write epic and engaging titles, then ensure this is the title of each Card!

- LIKE, WHEN?? Used due date function and set realistic, achievable goals for publishing

- DRAFTS: Word, Confluence or whatever. Draft it first somewhere else (keeping a draft on Community is not ideal). Then link it to the card. Only paste into Community for final Editing and publishing!

- GO WITH THE FLOW: Do whatever you feel like, whenever, especially if the inspiration hits. (Case in point: I have a full back-log right now but the idea for this piece came out of the blue, so I just went with it and... ta dah!)

- LEARNING: set a Lessons Learnt card and keep it up2date

- FORMAT: learn Trello formatting to make Cards super-duper epic!

- PUPS: make use of PUps. For me Butler and Calendar have been the most influential on this Board!

- UP2DATE: keep the Board up2date. At a minimum spend 30min per week reviewing and cleaning it up. Keeps those ideas in focus!

- PUBLISHED: the feeling of moving each card to the “published” label/list is just AMAZABALLZ. Don’t YOU feel amazing when that happens?

Below is what my board looks like now after a period of hard grafting. I’m now busting out 1 standard published article per month. It has certainly helped me MOVE FORWARD!

Screen Shot 2020-02-07 at 06.05.33.png

YOU AND MOVING FORWARD! 🤩

Maybe this rang a bell for you, maybe not... but either way all of us have lots we want to do and achieve and so now it is time to go out there and get things DONE!

But before you do, tell The Community and your experience of MOVING FORWARD!
How are you achieving that? Are you using Trello? If yes, how?
Is it personal or professional? And if professional, are you connecting Trello to other Atlassian products?

Looking forward to hearing what you all have to share!

your-dreams-are-calling-you.jpg

13 comments

Esme Crutchley
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 7, 2020

Once again @Andy - PTC Redundant  your article and Trello board is inspiring!

Adds this article to 'Fun Man Andy' card in my list 'Important Articles by Others' on my 'Trello Community' board so I can find it later!

I too am in the process of working my post for how I Get S%@& Done with my Trello board for my very recent accolade as Community Leader, and this has spurred me on to get THAT done!

In true Fun Man Andy style, I have included gifs and emojis! But I got a little bit carried away and it's 15 pages on Google Docs! 

Like Andy - PTC Redundant likes this
Jimmy Seddon
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 7, 2020

Fantastic article @Andy - PTC Redundant!  I think I'm going to have to try this myself.  I'll post back here once I have something to share.

Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 7, 2020

Keeping things on track is essential! Love your boards @Andy - PTC Redundant 😍

Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 7, 2020

Brb, making "don't get bored, get board" tshirts ;)

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2020

@Esme Crutchley : Totally awesome! I just read your article and it reminded me that I MUST make better use of Custom Fields...! last night one of my boards really needed it and it got a complete update. BOOM!!!!!

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2020

Cracking, @Jimmy Seddon ! Look forward to seeing the result. Do let us know!

Like Jimmy Seddon likes this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2020

So cool to hear @Teodora _Old Street Solutions_Tempo_ ! #GrumpyLove 😻

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2020

HAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!! That is hilarious @Samie Kaufman - Your Gal at Gliffy ! I love it. Put me down for one please. My size is XL!

Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2020

@Erica Moss / @Claire Cook :
Please inform everyone at Trello that I have now trademarked: 

Don't get bored; get Board!™️

It's currently being licensed out to Samie 😉

Like # people like this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2020

Another fabulous article @Andy - PTC Redundant ! It reminds me of the Insights Discovery Psychometric. Sunshine Yellow energy is the persuader, the idea generator, the fun and dynamic energy! So with this board you are tapping into your Fiery Red Energy to get things done, and your Cool Blue Energy with all the fine details in your Trello Board, and your Earth Green energy to make sure it is applicable to all audiences. Well done!! We have all four energies but tend to use our go-to dominant energy most often, but when using all four that's when the magic happens. And yes I am an Insights Discovery Nerd!

Like # people like this
Andy - PTC Redundant
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2020

Thanks for the compliment @Jodi LeBlanc !! 💖 

Insights Discovery say-what-now? I had no idea what that was!

Once again I have "discovered" (excuse the pun) that I have much to learn in this life; but as always I have you to tell me all about it! (Like a spirit guide! 🌟) Thank you for that epic knowledge share. I will really start tapping into this to get s@%$ done and make it applicable to all.

Side-note:
So when it comes to DISC I have seriously RED (Dominance) with a work mask that leans more towards BLUE (Conscience)

Now it would seem that for DPS I am a major YELLOW with a lot of Blue.

And of course I am a Campaigner.....

This, IMHO, is an damn awesome mix! 😄 Hahaha.

Like Jodi LeBlanc likes this
Jodi LeBlanc
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 10, 2020

So good!! Insights Discovery, DiSC and MBTI are all based on Jung theory, I prefer Insights Discovery as it is by colour instead of by a four letter or single letter combination. We need to use all colour energies to fully get s@%$ done effectively! Way to go in tapping into all your colour energies :)

Insights-Discovery-Colour-Energy-Information.png

Fabienne Gerhard
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 16, 2020

Again another pow-wow Article from FUN MAN ANDY -> Everyone @ Hive please get him a shirt with his new Trademark Don't get bored; get Board!™️ I need one too 🌟 to keep me motivated getting my bunch of ideas to articles 😉

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events